2011 Anthem 29er x1 - cracked frame

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I was just trying to sort out a creak that's developed in the last few rides and discovered a dirty f$&king crack almost all the way round the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube. Mines the 2011 model. The original anthem 29er x1 released here. Im pretty certain This is the same crack that forced the recall but apparently this problem was fixed before I bought the bike. Warranty?

milly76

Likes Bikes
cracked frame

You and a thousand others, my local bike shop has three of them hanging on the wall waiting for warranty. GOOD NEWS!! Giant are solid regarding warranty however no silver frames left so it will be a current model blue and black one..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Being the original owner, you'll be fine with a warranty. All you need is proof of purchase (your original receipt, or a duplicate from the shop you bought it from... most shops keep sales records for exactly this purpose) and you'll be on a new frame soon.

*Note*: Warranty does not cover labour costs involved in swapping components to the new frame. It's shop's discretion whether they cover the cost or not.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Same thing happened to my 2008 scott mc 30 last year...

scotts idea of a great warranty was to give the same year model front triangle...cause thats what broke...

despite all the current models being redesigned in that area, and extra welding cause...oh guess what they crack...

plus Scott's idea of communication re the warranty was non existent...

Oh well...stuff that...bought an Sworks stumpjumper as a replacment...given the MC 30's notorious problems...didnt want them again...

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
I broke 3 of the raw finish ones, and know a bloke who broke 4 of the raw, then 4 of the next model. Get used to it! No matter how good the warranty, it is a pain in the arse!

mtbold

Likes Bikes
Kona - No warranty!

At least your manufacturer is honoring their warranty!

My Kona 2-9 broke in half just behind the head tube just inside three years from the purchase date. The warranty in the book that came with it says four years. "Oh no no, that's not for this frame! This is the Scandium frame that only carries a one year warranty."

BrokenKONA.jpg

You can guess who will never buy another Kona.

paul.as

Cannon Fodder
Yep last month cracked my xl anthem 29er after only 10 months. It cracked on the edge of the weld on the top tube seat tube junction. Had the new frame within a week, and back riding. Got to love the giant lifetime warranty.

beeza

Likes Bikes
Ive cracked 2 giant alloy 26 in frames. Does not turn me off giant whatsoever. In fact just bought another last month.

You are basically guaranteed a spankin new frame every 2 to 3 years, replacing the scratched and chipped one you no longer love.

Just make sure you have other bikes to ride in the month or so it takes them to get their act together

fergo

Likes Dirt
My mate bought second hand a 26" 2012 Anthem X Advanced (blue and white) off ebay from the original owner and the crack appeared at the seat/top tube junction. His LBS organised for it to be replaced but with a four week wait until new stock arrived. He was then told a week later to come and pick up his new bike - thinking it was a loan one, but it was his.

The LBS had negotiated with Giant to upgrade to the Advanced SL 0 frame which they had in stock.

Thank you Giant for honoring the warranty and I love his LBS!!

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
Update - New Frame

Happy ending to this story - Giant supplied a new frame and I picked up the rebuilt bike yesterday. I got the 2013 X0 frame which looks great with the blue bits from the 2011 29er.
No charge for swapping the parts over either. Thanks Giant! Thanks Bicycle Centre Cairns!

Attachments

DeBloot

Feeling old
That's the sort of service that wins lifelong customers
Both bikeshop and manufacturer

years ago I sent a 2 year old wetty with a hole in the knee back to Rip Curl
Got a brand new one to replace it within a week
Never bought another brand since
And while I don't use them so much anymore up here in the mountains
I've still got 5 Rip Curls hanging up in the wardrobe

moorey

call me Mia
At least your manufacturer is honoring their warranty!

My Kona 2-9 broke in half just behind the head tube just inside three years from the purchase date. The warranty in the book that came with it says four years. "Oh no no, that's not for this frame! This is the Scandium frame that only carries a one year warranty."

View attachment 250545

You can guess who will never buy another Kona.
Geez, no wonder it cracked. Half the bike is arse around.
Sorry, nothing to contribute, but was amused by the pic.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Dam that is good service. Makes you lean abit towards certian brands with service like that.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just joining this thread unfortunately - 2012, 10 months old, same spot.

Just hoping I dont get only the front triangle replaced. Must admit, if the option is there, I'd pay extra for the carbon front triangle if its stronger - such a hassle.

axie

Likes Bikes
Another cracked 2011 anthem here. LBS had a replacement frame delivered and built within a fortnight. Bike had been ridden relatively hard by a fat bastard, so I'm not surprised. The downside is my wife sees it as a new bike and doesn't support an upgrade :/

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just joining this thread unfortunately - 2012, 10 months old, same spot.

Just hoping I dont get only the front triangle replaced. Must admit, if the option is there, I'd pay extra for the carbon front triangle if its stronger - such a hassle.
You'll get a complete new frameset, which includes rear swingarm & shock.