2011 Anthem 29er x1 - cracked frame

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Another cracked 2011 anthem here. LBS had a replacement frame delivered and built within a fortnight. Bike had been ridden relatively hard by a fat bastard, so I'm not surprised. The downside is my wife sees it as a new bike and doesn't support an upgrade :/
Upgrade your wife.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2013 models

Has any one had or heard of any frame cracking issues with the 2013 models? I had a demo ride on one the other week and really loved the bike.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Has any one had or heard of any frame cracking issues with the 2013 models? I had a demo ride on one the other week and really loved the bike.
If you loved the bike, go for it. If it cracks, they will replace it. That's pretty good customer service.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
why are frames cracking - what about the down time - when will the failure be at the wrong time and cause injury - it is great/normal that they replace them but what a pain in the arse. Ok if you are the original buyer but crap if you buy one secondhand

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
why are frames cracking - what about the down time - when will the failure be at the wrong time and cause injury - it is great/normal that they replace them but what a pain in the arse. Ok if you are the original buyer but crap if you buy one secondhand
My info John, is that there was a fault in the first batch of the 2011 original frame introduction - this resulted in a recall of that batch of frames and replacement before failure. I ride with 3 other anthems regularly, and I'm the only one to have had a failure thus far. When searching on the interwebs I didnt find a whole heap of problems, but of the problems i found, they are all in the same place where the very narrow top tube meets the seat tube.

Whether it would have progressed to catastrophic failure or not I cant guess, but it underlies the importance of checking the frame over when you have a creak/cracking sound that you cant identify.

If they replace the frame with a new shock, that will be enough recompense for the hassle for me - their rep for support is one of the reasons, the brand was on my list of options when I bought it.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
2011 Anthem X 26" replaced last week. Crack just under the seat post where it meets the frame also. A little bit of fluffing around and my bike went from black to white but the 2012 SL 1 Carbon/Alloy replacement was given so far so good.

notime

Likes Dirt
Did everyone get a new shock with their replacement x29 frame?

My first replacement I didn't get a new can but that frame cracked only after 2 rides so not a big deal, my replacement frame which is now over 2 years old is in for replacement atm. Thanks for the heads up mittagongmtb to check that part of the frame :)

I noticed Magoo74 you have the Rp23 in your replacement but the new Anthem X0 has a Monarch in the AUS build. I am wondering if they replace the shock which one it will be.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
not issuing a sh*t fight here but the bigger picture of quality, desposability, down time, safety, hassle and anticipation of a failure is disconcerting.

surely we should be encouraging an industry that reduces waste, rework, resupply and increases quality and doesnt rely on their customer service to service the customer.

They are not the first frame manufacturer with issues and wont be the last. A business should not be judged on their mistakes rather their ability to rectify and learn. Giant seem to be doing that rather well.

Just goes to show how important customer service is when you buy a bike and what you stand to loose if you buy it secondhand. Would it be fair to say one should steer clear of secondhand Anthems built in 2010/11

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I wouldn't buy any second hand lightweight aluminum frame - the material has a finite life where it flexes. There was a lot of anthems sold - easily the common bike at races- given the frame design is almost identical in the xtc at that spot , I'd say the failure is a function of staying seated while going hard (on a HT you are always getting out of the saddle).

If its 10 failures in 1000, that's ok, if its 10 in a 100, that's too many - I only know my lbs who is a very large giant dealer reckon its the first one of the 12 model he's seen- face value or grain of salt?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I would be surprised if the replacement frame came with a replacement shock as well...
My '08 Anthem (last year of the original frame) developed cracks at the bottle cage mounts on the down tube. The '12 model frame that replaced it was supplied with rear shock, headset (tapered headtube head tube in the new frame vs. straight in the original) and press-fit BB (threaded in the old frame).

Giant also have framesets available so customers can build their own spec; these also come fitted with rear shock. The reason is that the OEM shocks are custom-tuned for different bikes. A RP23 in an Anthem would not be tuned the same as the same model shock in a Specialized, for example.

notime

Likes Dirt
Well in that case with a 2011 x29 the shock will likely be retained and used in the 2013 replacement as the frame design is the same.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you loved the bike, go for it. If it cracks, they will replace it. That's pretty good customer service.
I think I will...I have already had a warranty job with Giant when the chain stay cracked on my Halo. Their customer service was really good at the time. I was just curious if they had solved the problem with the earlier models.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I wouldn't buy any second hand lightweight aluminum frame - the material has a finite life where it flexes. There was a lot of anthems sold - easily the common bike at races- given the frame design is almost identical in the xtc at that spot , I'd say the failure is a function of staying seated while going hard (on a HT you are always getting out of the saddle).

If its 10 failures in 1000, that's ok, if its 10 in a 100, that's too many - I only know my lbs who is a very large giant dealer reckon its the first one of the 12 model he's seen- face value or grain of salt?
Correct...any 2nd hand XC frame probably wouldn't be worth the spend.

The last I heard is that both Giant and Cannondale were generally running a frame failure rate of no more than 6% across the range - much less on most models. I can't imagine too many other makers trying to invest significantly more just to drop it down a couple of points.

When you combine tens of thousands of copies of one model frame (in just our pipsqueak market) and the common sense of the interweb it is easy to blow that relatively small failure rate right out of proportion.

fergo

Likes Dirt