2011 Giant Reign BB71 questions

Maris

Likes Dirt
Im looking to buy a new reign soon but with the addition of the larger range 10speed cassette have been thinking about switching out the crankset to a single chainring crank. I've had my eyes on the Sram Stylo 1.1 but have recently noticed that the new reign is using a press-fit "bb71 powercore" bottom bracket. :confused:
Can anyone tell me what cranks/spindles will be compatible or will they accept any standard crankset?

Cheers,
Mike.

Maris

Likes Dirt
Yeah i've read that thread but its more about trying to fit a chain guide, which does happen to be my second problem, but just wanted to know if theres any restrictions on what cranks you can run with that bb?

philw86

Likes Bikes
Yeah i've read that thread but its more about trying to fit a chain guide, which does happen to be my second problem, but just wanted to know if theres any restrictions on what cranks you can run with that bb?
Its a typo on the Giant AUS website...you've actually likely got BB92 (MTB). There is also BB86 (Road), BB90 (BB86+4mm of bearing sleeve), so on and so forth. Trek Bicycles even has BB95...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bb90-bb86-bb92-etc-bottom-bracket-service

Hopefully all the new pressfit standards work themselves out...there is also a Shimano vs Sram going on, as Sram also uses a modified BB30 setup (called PressFit30).

On to your original question, your only options for full chain retention systems would be our new XCX Seat Tube guide. Check out the other thread for more info on that. Any of the usual Shimano Hollowtech2 cranksets will also likely work with your current BB92. You can also run a simple "bashguard sandwich" style setup, but it won't retain your chain in the rough stuff.

If you need a full blown ChainRetention System, the ReignX has some ISCG-OLD tabs and standard Euro thread BB shell that will work out a little better (the ISCG-OLD tabs are mis-clocked, but you should be able to figure out somthing).

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

Last edited:

Maris

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info phil, have already been looking at the xcx.st for the chainguide, just need to find somewhere to buy it. Guessing the direct mount version ive read your planning will still be a while?

Also, does a crankset just need to have the correct spindle length/width to be compatible with the bb92 or are there other complications?

Thanks again.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info phil, have already been looking at the xcx.st for the chainguide, just need to find somewhere to buy it. Guessing the direct mount version ive read your planning will still be a while?

Also, does a crankset just need to have the correct spindle length/width to be compatible with the bb92 or are there other complications?

Thanks again.
lots of ways to make your own chainguide - if you're running a bashring as well then a reflector bracket, file and 10 minutes work will net you the lightest chainguide in the world.

- Joel