2011 snow thread

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Managed to pick up some Salomon Crossmax 10s w/ Salomon bindings for $150.

Apparently they have only been used once, but it was a few years ago. The edges seem to have a bit of surface rust.

Is it worth getting them tuned/grinded etc?

Now I'm after some boots, I'm pretty reliably a 12 US which should see me fitting a 30 or 30.5. Can anyone recommend a shop in Sydney to check out for sizing etc? I'll most likely be buying from levelninesports.com, there's some nice looking boots for less than $200 AUD.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Myself and a mate are heading over to queenstown from the 28th of july to the 11th of august. Gonna be the first time in the snow for either of us. Should be pretty amazing.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for which gear to buy snowboard wise. since i really have no idea. all i know is i dont really want a beginner board because i know ill want something better down the track anyway.

$h0rty

Likes Dirt
I'll be heading up to Mt Buller/Hotham a couple of times this season. Would like to go back to NZ but no one else is keen. No new gear for me either.

A mate was telling me some snow shops in Melbourne are now charging 'fitting' fees for trying on gear to deter people coming in, trying on gear then buying online. Anyone know anything more about this?

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
A mate was telling me some snow shops in Melbourne are now charging 'fitting' fees for trying on gear to deter people coming in, trying on gear then buying online. Anyone know anything more about this?
i've heard of it going on too. seems fair enough to me.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Was talking to an old cattleman at Merrijig the other day and he doesn't miss a thing. He pointed out to me the following.
1: It's been the coldest april in 138 years.
2: Lake Eyre is full and when it has water in it the weather systems from the West (our most common) haqve a whole heap of water to draw from and dump as snow when they hit the mountains.
3: He has been watching the weather systems and they are coresponding with the ones we have had in the past that bring mega amounts of snow.

Only time will tell but I think you might do alright with a season pass this year.
I like this thinking..

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm flying out of Brisbane on the 11th July and coming back on the 25th. Managed to bag a return flight to Queenstown for $400 so pretty stoked on that. Does anyone have any experiance flying with Jetstar with skis? The limit is 20kg so I will be able to keep under that, hopefully will have no problems.

This will be my 3rd trip to NZ and my last trip in the southern hemisphere before I take a season in Whistler next year :)

My new bad boys arrived last week and I also purchased new outerwear, helmet and goggles. Getting really excited and theres still 2 months left.

Will be staying at Base in queenstown with 10 mates and skiings Remarks/Coronet for 7 days, and Cardies and Treble Cone for 5 days.

So if anyone sees me in a black giro helmet, Oakley Simon Dumont's, green Burton jacket and navy camo pants on K2 Revivals, say hi!

Attachments

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Myself and a mate are heading over to queenstown from the 28th of july to the 11th of august. Gonna be the first time in the snow for either of us. Should be pretty amazing.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for which gear to buy snowboard wise. since i really have no idea. all i know is i dont really want a beginner board because i know ill want something better down the track anyway.
Something like this from torpedo 7
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products...r-women-s-snowboard-and-bindings-package-2011

Board+binding package of reasonable intermediate quality. Get boots fitted locally, fit is more important than brand and quality ie. badly fitted top of the line boots will make for a shitty day on the slopes.

The problem with buying high level gear first time is you don't know what you want out of the board-same as buying a high end XC bike and realising you want to do DH. The bike can do it, but that extra money you spent on quality still leaves you behind the kid on a stinky who knew what he was after. So buy a board like that which is a reasonable do it all, then in a year or two figure out what you want out of the board and buy something more expensive accordingly.

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Will be staying at Base in queenstown with 10 mates and skiings Remarks/Coronet for 7 days, and Cardies and Treble Cone for 5 days.

So if anyone sees me in a black giro helmet, Oakley Simon Dumont's, green Burton jacket and navy camo pants on K2 Revivals, say hi!
I'll be there at same time and probably dropping into base occasionally. Black helmet, Carbon A frames, brown burton jacket and light blue pants on a technine suerte board and brown boots. And I'm sure to be found at fergburger anytime I'm not on the slopes, in a bed or at the bar.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Managed to pick up some Salomon Crossmax 10s w/ Salomon bindings for $150.

Apparently they have only been used once, but it was a few years ago. The edges seem to have a bit of surface rust.

Is it worth getting them tuned/grinded etc?

Now I'm after some boots, I'm pretty reliably a 12 US which should see me fitting a 30 or 30.5. Can anyone recommend a shop in Sydney to check out for sizing etc? I'll most likely be buying from levelninesports.com, there's some nice looking boots for less than $200 AUD.
Mate not sure what you were doing buying skis and bindings for $150, you're gonna get a MUCH nicer ski, tuned, waxed and set up professionally if you were to hire a pair compared to a rusty, preowned ski. But its your call. As far as boots go, you can get some half decent 2nd hand boots for around $200, but you'll wanna throw 'em out after a couple weeks of use. If you want to buy new, you're looking at $600 new in Australia.

I'll be there at same time and probably dropping into base occasionally. Black helmet, Carbon A frames, brown burton jacket and light blue pants on a technine suerte board and brown boots. And I'm sure to be found at fergburger anytime I'm not on the slopes, in a bed or at the bar.
Alright man holla at me.

safire

Likes Dirt
Syphon_the_python: yep definitely get the edges done and a get a wax. +1 on getting well-fitting boots regardless of brand. Poorly fitting boots can make it harder to turn, are uncomfortable and you may end up with black/falling off big toe toenails after the first morning...

Boost: Easiest way to stay under crapstar's 20kg allowance is to take your ski boots on the plane as hand luggage. I get my skis and all my gear (minus the boots) packed in a dakine low roller bag weighing in at around 18-19kg.

NH_: Spend your money on good boots and bindings and don't worry so much about the board. Once your ability improves and you know what sort of riding you like (park vs all mountain etc) then get a decent board. The boots and bindings play a huge part in how things feel. I wouldn't dismiss a beginner board either. Generally they are beginner - intermediate boards and if you are only doing a couple of weeks a year on it then you'll get a couple of years before you grow out of it ability-wise. By then you'll know a lot more about what you like, can test ride some better boards and upgrade the board then (keeping the orig boots and bindings). Learning on a beginner board will likely mean you are catching edges less and will find it easier learning to turn and be up and running quicker. I have done 19 days on my beginner board so far including double-black powder tree-runs, cuisy groomers, icy mogulled-out runs and everything in between and still don't feel like I have out-ridden it yet. Surprisingly it doesn't flap about at speed either, which I thought it might.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
At a minimum I would be looking at the following
  • 1 x jacket
  • 1 x pants
  • socks (2 pairs)
  • gloves (1 pair)
  • boots (1 pair)
  • 1 x snowboard
  • 1 x goggles
  • 1 x helmet
  • backpack
  • bag to keep it all in

Note, you can always hire some of the gear also.

Jacket/Pants - look for anything with a rating of 10k and over. Reputable brands include Burton, Quicksilver, Billabong, Arc'teryx. Prices can range from $250 to $1000+. Also think about a thermal first layer and and a polar fleece mid layer for warmth (my jackets are more outerwear shells)

Socks - I am a big fan of snowboard specific socks. No more bunching in the boots! I have several pairs of the brand Burton

Gloves - you tend to have the choice of full fingers gloves or mitts. Mitts are warmer but you can lose dexterity (a challenge if you have issues strapping yourself into the bindings). Brands include Outdoor research, Burton, DaKine.

Snowboards - No harm in buying a beginner board mate - they tend to be alot more forgiving and flexi then the higher end stuff. As a beginner you are going need something soft and playful. Brands include Burton, Salomon, K2, Lib-Tech

Boots - If anything, focus on getting the best boots you can afford. This piece of gear is central to how good or bad your snow experience can be! No point on having high end gear if your boots don't fit right. Its pretty much the one piece of snowboarding gear I am happy to purchase at full retail cost. If you can afford it, look at getting custom foot beds also. Anything to keep the feet happy :)

Reputable brands include Salomon, Burton, K2.
In my experience Burton boots don't fit my foot type, however Salomon fit me like a glove :)

I've ridden around 70 days in my most current pair of boots (Salomon Malamute) and they still perform like they were brand new :)

Goggles - I personally prefer goggle over sunnies. Hate that cold wind getting in between my face and the sunnies. I have 3 pairs of Oakley A-Frames with different lenses for varying conditions. Other brands include smith, dragon (the list goes on)

Helmet - kinda obvious really. I've work one since 1999 and would never ride without one. I am confident enough in my own ability to avoid crashing but I can't control the "out of control beginner" ploughing into me from behind. Brands include Giro, Smith, Protec, Red

Backpack - I like to ride with a small backpack to hold my spare goggles, bars, etc (don't like stuff in my pockets) as well as have the ability to strap my board to the backpack so I can hike if need be. Brands include Camelbak, DaKine, Burton, etc

Snowboard Bag - how else would you carry all your stuff? Brands include DaKine, Burton,etc

Buying snowboard gear ain't cheap but alot of stuff I mentioned above will last several seasons if you treat it right. I have 2 jackets (both Arc'teryx) and they are both around 4-5 years old (with 100 days of riding wearing them) and they still look new :)

Last edited:

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have some cheap 161-163cm snow skis? I want something I can skis across the road, over rocks and not give a shit about...

Im in Melbourne.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Does anyone have some cheap 161-163cm snow skis? I want something I can skis across the road, over rocks and not give a shit about...

Im in Melbourne.
ski shops on your way to the slopes or maybe even in town will have shit old ex mentals for sale. yet again i will sell my highest regard to the ultimate pub skis available. $150 for the lot = lots of road gaps (skims), tree jumps (into trees), rock hops (extended downhill runs over open faces) and t-bar tricks (tailtapping the poles on the way up).

best of all sell em on for $50 and they only cost $100 or dump them if they're fucked. endless fun (try ski-sword fighting.. dangerous, but excellent)

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ski shops on your way to the slopes or maybe even in town will have shit old ex mentals for sale. yet again i will sell my highest regard to the ultimate pub skis available. $150 for the lot = lots of road gaps (skims), tree jumps (into trees), rock hops (extended downhill runs over open faces) and t-bar tricks (tailtapping the poles on the way up).

best of all sell em on for $50 and they only cost $100 or dump them if they're fucked. endless fun (try ski-sword fighting.. dangerous, but excellent)
Ahahahah dont worry iv had some bangers b4. Its juts iv grown a bit and my 152cm skis are now to small for me (Im 173cm tall). I dont really want to fuck my apache crossfire's clowning around as they are my first set of new skis.

The looks ya get as I fly across the road are priceless.

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
suggestions on Goggles for less then $80
thought it might be a good time to buy seeing as though the USD is good at the moment
thanks..

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'll be heading up to Mt Buller/Hotham a couple of times this season. Would like to go back to NZ but no one else is keen. No new gear for me either.

Yeah it is. I used to work in a ski shop, back in like 2001 before online was such a huge focus... you could spend literally hours with someone if they were finicky enough, often they'd wear the boots for 10 mins or so to allow them to warm up/mould a little, they'd love to give them a bit of a flex and digress about the season they spent in Austria in '82... 4 or 5 different makes or models, 2 or 3 sizes, time flies..Then you have instep, heel lift issues, the list can go on, so yeah if someone wants a serious boot fitting like that then there needs to be some kind of payment.. If you end up buying then that amount comes off the price you pay but if you wanna waste hours of a bootfitters day only to go away and buy elsewhere then I think it's fair enough.

Last edited:

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
There's fairly big mark up on snow gear, so become buddies with the dudes/gals at your local and then you can usually get somewhat closer to online prices but still be able to try shit on, return it and get warranty. Plus you can sometimes make new mates to board/ski with!

Now I always get at least %10 off on everything when I go into my local, tees, beanies, hoodies, boardies. Free stickers and edge tuning too yeehaww!

I like to shop local for snow stuff, I'm a sucker for retail therapy and online just can't provide that!

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting flipping excited not too far away!
Im also going to need recommendations for a backpack?
Just bought a new Lumix Ft2 camera so that we take photos while on the mountain.
just need to get something to carry normal crap.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Hey boost, I will be there the same time as you 10th july till the 20th. staying at revers. who did you book with?

That fitting charge is bullshit! ill admit to doing it. but so what they should match the online prices. If they do do it you should be getting the $10 back If you finally buy with the shop. Its like going into jb-hifi and paying to watch a tv too see how good the quality is before deciding to buy it. means you cant shop around either or you will be end up spending $50 before you're even bought anything.