2012 Back Yamma

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Tyre choice?

Hi, tyre choice allways a difficult question given the amount of rubber available these days, currently using Rocket Rons on a 29er so I don't want to trash these tyres if the terrain doesn't suit, any opinions welcomed.
cheers in advance H.:decision:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Hi, tyre choice allways a difficult question given the amount of rubber available these days, currently using Rocket Rons on a 29er so I don't want to trash these tyres if the terrain doesn't suit, any opinions welcomed.
cheers in advance H.:decision:
If its dry......
Front: Racing Ralph
Rear: Racing Ralph

If its wet....will think about that later - am assuming its gonna be dry ;-)

granto

Likes Bikes
Hmmmmmm,
MTBA website wont let me rego.
Will I have to incur the $5 late entry fee on Saturday arvo?
There was a problem with the website for a while this afternoon. Let us know at rego and we should be able to sort that out. We hope to see you there today!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Back at home after an epic drive back. What a great race! Fast and furious and so much fun!
A few changes to the course compared to last year but it certainly didn't affect the experience- if anything the track was even better.

Kudos to the organisers - the bbq and food post race was fantastic and the hot shower after the race was the best idea ever! :)

Only a couple re: areas for improvement.
* I thought not "re-doing" the women's open 100km presentation properly was the wrong move. For those not there, there was an error where women's open 4th place was awarded 3rd, women's open 3rd place was awarded 2nd and women's open 2nd place was awarded 1st (thus 1st place missed out altogether). Whilst I accept errors like this will happen (no-one verified the results beforehad?), once the error was recognised and fixed, I think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place-getters should have been bought back up again for proper recognition.
* The distribution of prizes seemed pretty uneven.
  • Prize for Open Mens 100km 3rd place was a Jet Black Fluid Trainer.
  • Prize for Open Womens 100km 3rd place was a pair of *MENS* baggy cycle shorts (?!) and a 26" 2.4 All mountain tyre - huh? No Jet Black Fluid Trainer?
Why the organisers elected to give a female placegetter in a XC enduro race some baggy shorts is a bit strange. Giving a female MEN's shorts as a prize cries of ignorance. I really hope it wasn't a case of "what stuff do we have lying around that we can give away".

Last edited:

stu125

Likes Bikes
Yet another fun weekend.
We made a boys weekend of it this year & camped. It was one of the most relaxing (apart from Sunday) weekends ive had.
The Pasta on Saturday night was great & at the right price.
A big thank you to all the volunteers & sponsers who made this weekend possible.
Loved the new end to the track that run down the otherside of the gully was a blast

See you next year :nod:

Stu

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
tyre choice

Hi all,

I decided to enter into the 50km at Back Yamma this year. Currently I'm running a Maxxis Minion/High roller combo but I also have a couple Continental X-kings lying around.

I'm assuming the X-kings would flow a lot better than what I currently run? Is it worth changing the tyres around for the race?

My only concern was the X-kings walls feel really skinny so I'm worried I'd tear the shit out of it.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
I will be running UST Race Kings for this race Fast and Flowly. If it gets wet will use the X Kings front and Race King Rear.