2012 Reign - advice re chain drop stop

I've got a Reign 2 and recently I've been actually doing my downhill runs on the large ring and found I'm not dropping the chain anymore. It's probably due to putting more pressure on your rear derailer and keeping the chain tighter.

I always found that the chain would jump off the middle and end up against the frame between the granny ring, so I doubt pulling the large ring off will do anything.

Okay just realised how old this post is. How did you go 'jumpers'?

Wheels101 I look forward to those pics.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
the reason pulling the big ring off works, is that you also rip out 5 links, so there's more tension in the derraileur - its the tension that stops the noise and the chain dropping. Tight chain = Good. 2 ways of doing that, change upto the big ring, or remove big ring but remove links. ;)

nickz

Likes Dirt
I got a Bionicon c guide 2.0 . Works a treat. Mine cost $60 in the US and it matches my red Reign 1. Found a pic on the net, a very clever guide, the chain doesn't slap around now.

Last edited:

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same problem on a Trek Remedy and solved it by upgrading to an XTR rear derailleur (the one with the clutch). I didn't want to go single ring up front as its my road/XC/AM/DH bike and i need the low gearing for road rides.

Haven't dropped a chain since, even riding DH tracks. Highly recommended. :)

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I looked into the Bionicon for my Mach 5.7C (Same deal, Press Fit BB & No ISCG), and found that although nice, they're too expensive in Aus to justify (for me, anyway). The Aus distro has them at $84.95 RRP, which is way too much of a markup for me.

Instead, I found this thread on MTBR, and have applied it successfully to mine as well! The one difference is that I use the light bracket cable tied directly to the chainstay, as I already have a Csixx protector which make it too wide to fit the top clamp around.

Has been on for a month and a half now, and been totally bombproof! It's cheap, quiet, keeps the chain on, and replacement will be free for a few times if it does break (who doesn't have a spare light bracket or 3 lying around!).

http://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles/home-made-pivot-mach-5-7-carbon-chain-guide-789072.html

Adding

I found i was dropping the chain from the big ring too, maybe should have removed a few links. Looked into the bioncon, but at the time didn't realize they moved with the chain.. but did this instead & cost me $10 for the roller. (by the way the rivets are wedged under the chain-stay not thru)....

DSC_2930.jpgDSC_2936.jpg