2012 Snow Thread

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Anyone know good websites that do packages you can build yourself? Travel agent quoted us $1400 for 7 nights in Queenstown, 3 day pass and flights, I reckon I can do better though, especially with more lift tickets.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Anyone know good websites that do packages you can build yourself? Travel agent quoted us $1400 for 7 nights in Queenstown, 3 day pass and flights, I reckon I can do better though, especially with more lift tickets.
I used these guys http://snonski.com.au/ You can either make a package online or phone up and book it with them and get exactly what you want. I phoned up cause it was easier to tell them what I wanted, In the end I got a better deal that I could have booked myself I think even with the $50 booking fee or what ever they charge. Going from the 11th july till the 20th flights with 23kg baggage from Brisbane direct to queenstown, parado 4wd car hire for the whole time staying at a pretty good place (reavers) stayed there last time and 7 days lift pass. for $1500 each with 5 of us going.

Was about 5cm of snow over night at perisher, cardrona and treble cone. Forecast looking good for the rest of the week as well hopefully there will be a good base by opening day.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I used these guys http://snonski.com.au/ You can either make a package online or phone up and book it with them and get exactly what you want. I phoned up cause it was easier to tell them what I wanted, In the end I got a better deal that I could have booked myself I think even with the $50 booking fee or what ever they charge. Going from the 11th july till the 20th flights with 23kg baggage from Brisbane direct to queenstown, parado 4wd car hire for the whole time staying at a pretty good place (reavers) stayed there last time and 7 days lift pass. for $1500 each with 5 of us going.

Was about 5cm of snow over night at perisher, cardrona and treble cone. Forecast looking good for the rest of the week as well hopefully there will be a good base by opening day.
Perfect, looks like that's the go. Btw, $109 flights to Sydney from Queenstown on the 13th of August- win!

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Got quoted today;

return flights to QT + 14 nights private accommodation + 10 day lift ticket = $1800 AUD.

Anyone know of a cheaper way to do lift passes in NZ? As far as I can see it's $95 for one day, and $90 or so for each subsequent day, so there's minimal incentive to book 10 days at once.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got quoted today;

return flights to QT + 14 nights private accommodation + 10 day lift ticket = $1800 AUD.

Anyone know of a cheaper way to do lift passes in NZ? As far as I can see it's $95 for one day, and $90 or so for each subsequent day, so there's minimal incentive to book 10 days at once.
Thats pretty much the only way to do it, lift passes are lift passes, they are all done through the same place.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I thought ours were cheaper, more in the realm of $80/day for an NZ OnePass/Superpass.

I bought flights last night, managed to get Sydney-Christchurch and Christchurch-Queenstown so that the boys and I will leave work Wednesday arvo and be skiing Thursday morning. The flight gets in at 8am and we'll probably be sleep deprived, but hopefully we'll be able to get out well before lunchtime. Anyone done this before? Scored a direct flight out with Air NZ from Queenstown-Sydney as well for $250!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its the same price wherever you go. Im topping mine up online this year and its the same price as buying a new one outright. Hitting the slopes the day you land is doable, cant say id want to by the time you land and sort out your hotel, gear and everything id rather go do soemthing else for the day and save the lift pass for a day youve got bundles of energy and are all set to go.

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
Snow is looking pretty good at the moment. I just finished drooling over the photos Perisher put up on Facebook. Did anyone go up this weekend?

I'm looking at getting a pair of 2012 Line Prophet 90s for this season. Has anyone tried them? I'd be interested to see what you think.
If the reviews are anything to go by they are a wicked set of skis and the specs look quite similar to Salomon Lords (which I freaking love).

Also, I love how an identical set of skis is $350 shipped in the US and $850 in Aus..

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Snow is looking pretty good at the moment. I just finished drooling over the photos Perisher put up on Facebook. Did anyone go up this weekend?

I'm looking at getting a pair of 2012 Line Prophet 90s for this season. Has anyone tried them? I'd be interested to see what you think.
If the reviews are anything to go by they are a wicked set of skis and the specs look quite similar to Salomon Lords (which I freaking love).

Also, I love how an identical set of skis is $350 shipped in the US and $850 in Aus..
Individual components of my snowboard set up cost more in Australia than the whole thing shipped from the US.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Where is the finest, cheapest place to take my kids in the NSW side of the snow for 'snowplay' - snowballs, snowmen, toboganning etc. We are staying in Jindy and have heard that Dead Horse Gap is good as well as the Perisher Valley carparck slopes & tubetown.

cheers!

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone in Melbourne has some 165cm downhill skis they would like to off load im keen to buy!

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I am so keen for this season!

Heading to NZ for 2 weeks with the Melbourne uni snowboard team. I think 40 of us are going, it's going to be mental :very_drunk: I've also got another 2 weeks worth of boarding at Buller, Falls creek and Hotham pencilled in. After missing 2 seasons due to injury and spending 2 seasons at Buller when there were only a handful of lifts open, It's fair to say I'm ready and well overdue for a proper season of boarding.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Snow is starting to look good over in NZ, coronet opened today thats about 3 weeks earlier than last year and the other resorts will stick to their opening dates by the looks of it. :)
Noticing on the snow reports about what the road conditions are like, Im hiring a 4wd this year because with a group of us it will be cheaper, easier, quicker than a bus each day. Went the 4wd option over your average car because it will be more comfortable on a long trip room for boards and luggage ect but also because it would mean getting out of hiring chains and having to spend 20 mins fitting them. However, I know some days you are required to fit chains even on 4wd as the road reports say chains on all vehicles. I'm assuming that I can hire chains with the car but then theres a possibility that I would end up paying $30 a day and not use them once. So my question is should the place im staying have chain hire? I also know of chain hire on the way up the slopes where you hire them off a bloke on the side of the road and drop them back to him on the way down. Is that a practical option? Is chain hire only offered on certain mountains?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
However, I know some days you are required to fit chains even on 4wd as the road reports say chains on all vehicles. I'm assuming that I can hire chains with the car but then theres a possibility that I would end up paying $30 a day and not use them once. So my question is should the place im staying have chain hire? I also know of chain hire on the way up the slopes where you hire them off a bloke on the side of the road and drop them back to him on the way down. Is that a practical option? Is chain hire only offered on certain mountains?
No, I don't think it's that important. You can hire chains on every mountain, as it's not the mountain resort that offers chains, but a local business that goes and parks on the side of the road.
But irrespective, I would say that provided your tyres are in decent nick, if you're a smart driver in a 4WD, you won't need chains. I've never used chains at Cardies/TC/SP, even on the days they say you need them. You don't need them, they're not going to turn you back if you don't have chains, just don't expect them to pull you from a ditch for a few days if you can't keep it on the road.

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
Looking to buy a new jacket for this season..
Does anyone have any links to some reputable sites or seen some good deals on jackets?
Cheers