2012 Snow Thread

Snow Ski Biking???

Hey Guys! We build Snow/ Ski Bikes (see pics below) here in the states (Huntington Beach Cali) and want to head your way for fresh powder. Does anyone here know of resorts that are Ski Bike Friendly???

Attachments

Last edited:

abevern

Likes Dirt
This makes me fucking cry. I was going to be over there riding that for the entire season and now I'm not going at all :mad:

Hope you have fun with it though!
Top video!
Makes me cry too, I was heading to Jindy for a mid-week trip with the family - and now they're sick and I get to stay home instead.
If anyone can use 3 nights accommodation in Jindabyne from Tuesday for 5 people, drop me a PM.:smow:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=vimeo;46563475]http://vimeo.com/46563475[/video]

More SP vids.

Just started snowing for the first time in almost a month in NZ, some of the Wanaka hills have gotten 20cm+ since this morning. It was certainly needed, so lets hope the snow continues for everyone over there.

I'm back in Australia as of yesterday, pretty bummed. Hopefully I'll get over for one last week or so before the season ends :( Anyone else still getting a decent amount of riding in?

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Was In NZ from the 11th july - 20th. got in 6 days boarding out of the planned 7. First 3 days were pretty good had about 8cm fresh up at remarks on the 14th I think it was, so we hit the alta shoots or whatever the double black runs are after a 30 min hike up from shadow basin chair. unfortunately 8cm was just enough to cover the rocks so that they weren't visible, but still protruded enough to take gouges out of the base of my board. Good job I had a day off the following day to get my board tuned and p-texed. The rest of the week was average, interns of the snow and my riding did 2 half days due to sore back. rested up on teh second to last day then went all out last day at remarks, spent practically all day doing park runs.

I found a late season deal on for perisher so I might get on and book that with some mates this week. Its for September tho so we will probaly going about the 15th of September, anyone got a prediction on how the snow will be then? I know there's a meter base but I think the was last year and it was pretty much all gone by September. Worth the risk?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Yeah, awesome ^. Glad to hear you're loving them.
Ok. Further update. I managed to crack the highback on the Burton Diode bindings. Put an inch crack along it. I have no idea how-I didn't use them for parks, I didn't have any big stacks and they had less than 5 days use. To me this seems to be a design flaw. Burton Australia didn't have any spare high backs so were basically useless. Why you wouldn't carry highbacks for your flagship model Binding I don't know. I was really unimpressed when they offered to get one for me within the next 6 or 7 months. I called Burton USA via a store I used to go to when I lived in the US and they came to the table really quickly. I now have new highbacks on the way to Aus for the price of postage, so they were really good about it. I'll provide a further durability report when they have had some more use.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
JAPAN! whos been? looked into it today and realized that for 10 days its only going to cost me around $300 more than going to new zealand (I think). I'm considering heading over January time. Wheres the best place to go how much would I expect to spend (food, drink) that kinda stuff. Everywhere is stay on snow right? no need for car hire?

I know January's a long way off but I'm itching to be boarding again NZ wasn't enough for me this year and I need another trip to look forward to.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JAPAN! whos been? looked into it today and realized that for 10 days its only going to cost me around $300 more than going to new zealand (I think). I'm considering heading over January time. Wheres the best place to go how much would I expect to spend (food, drink) that kinda stuff. Everywhere is stay on snow right? no need for car hire?

I know January's a long way off but I'm itching to be boarding again NZ wasn't enough for me this year and I need another trip to look forward to.
Did a month and a half touring Hokkaido last season. I'd suggest Niseko, just because it's convenient, there's plenty of facilities, the snow is still incredible, and it really wasn't as touristy as everyone made it out to be. You've got Rusutsu, Moiwa and a few other hills nearby to avoid the crowds if you so wish.

How much would you expect to spend? I can't remember what it ended up costing us, I think around $3500 for the ~6 weeks? For us, accommodation was usually around $20 a night, flights $700 return, $30 a day on food and alcohol etc. etc. Lift passes are easily the most expensive part of the trip.

No need for car hire, and even if you hope to, you'll need an international license. Stay in Niseko, and there's a free shuttle going around Hirafu village and over to Hanazono.

Kutchan is also nearby, which is a small town that has more than you could ever need. Food and accommodation is much cheaper than in Niseko itself, but it's a 10 minute bus/drive to the lift.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Gonna be hitting NZ around Queenstown for a week from Thursday! So keen. Got a three day and a two day pass so planning to hit all the main hills around Queenstown- we're flying in at 8am Thursday and the plan is to pick up the car and head straight to the snow.

I went to Japan last year to Hakuba, the other main ski area. It's all pretty cheap, snow is like nothing else. I would budget about $60-$70 a day for food and alcohol, but we ate out every day, plus beers in restaurants are kinda pricey (Only $3/500mL can from a vending machine though!). Accommodation is comparable to here, $30/night for a basic backpackers, up to whatever you want to pay really. All the resorts run free shuttle buses every day that pick you up from your door, car isn't necessary at all. God I miss it, can't wait to get back.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the info guys, Im going to definitely be trying to do it on the cheap, 10 days maybe 2 weeks for under $2500 all up. considering what you said matt that sounds pretty do able to me.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the info guys, Im going to definitely be trying to do it on the cheap, 10 days maybe 2 weeks for under $2500 all up. considering what you said matt that sounds pretty do able to me.
Im doing 3 weeks for about 3600 but thats not including ski passes that were 1200 for a season pass, and we are sharing accom at nomads so for under 2500 for 2 weeks you will be really basic. had 3 days on the snow already not much snow around, remarks has rocks and dirt showing on the skinny parts of the shadow basin but still rideabl, coronet has a fair bit of snow but alot of it is stucky slushy man made stuff, forecast is for 12-15cm in the next day or two though which should help.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im doing 3 weeks for about 3600 but thats not including ski passes that were 1200 for a season pass
Why would you buy a season pass if you're only there for 3 weeks? You're only saving yourself ~$60, and it restricts you to riding the Niseko mountain for the entire time.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Heading to Thredbo end of the month, anyone been recently? Any good?
Yea mate, been the last two weekends, pretty solid up high atm, bit bare down low. Front going through this week should get some snow down there though!
Had my best powder runs in Australia this year (suprisingly!)...Gopro'ed it :)

[video=vimeo;46664325]https://vimeo.com/46664325[/video]

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yea mate, been the last two weekends, pretty solid up high atm, bit bare down low. Front going through this week should get some snow down there though!
Had my best powder runs in Australia this year (suprisingly!)...Gopro'ed it :)

[video=vimeo;46664325]https://vimeo.com/46664325[/video]
That looks sweet, thanks a lot for that.

Hope it holds out a bit longer for us.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Off to NZ next week for 10 days. Flying straight into Queenstown and getting in the hire car. 10 of us are going and we booked our accomidation Jan this year for cheaps.

Iv picked up new skis, poles, boots, and gear. First time using a helmet too as im keen to step it up. Hoping to get a day in a Buller before I leave.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome VW! You should love it, I read on FB that Ohau has had close to a metre of snow in the past few days?

Another vid from recent comps. Not the best edit I've seen, but there's a few good tricks in amongst it all, and some of the new lines look rad! Hopefully they're all open to the public.

[video=youtube;nqtX_hT1JmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqtX_hT1JmA&feature=share[/video]

And a video for the skiiers.

Last edited:

Damn

Cannon Fodder
Perisher

Did a last second day trip on Friday and kinda scored at Perisher. There had been approx 50cm this week before I went, problem was that the wind was so strong it blew away most of the new snow from the South-facing slopes. Plenty of soft stuff around if you know where to look. I'd say it's the best Aussie season of the last few years, based on the two trips I've done so far.