2012 Snow Thread

Hew

Likes Dirt
Helmet or no helmet?
Never worn one snowboarding before, I think it would feel restrictive and not as warm. Considering getting one tho because I want to hit the bag jump that remarks usually has and I plan on spending a lot of time in the park this season.
For me at least it boosts my confidence 10 fold, just like going from a normal helmet to a fullface riding.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Helmets are just as warm as a beanie, its like an esky on your head! If it was just me riding in one area i wouldnt wear one, i trust my skills, but the amount of times i got taken out last year by other people was amazing, one of those times i clobbered my helmet hard so im glad i wore it there. Also good for helmet cams too!

But i am boggled as to why a helmet would be restrictive? go ride a bike with and without one, is it restrictive at all?

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
I board like I ride, like a massive booner and I'm glad to have one at certain times.
I'm good at landing on my head no matter what sport I do so having a helmet has saved me quite a few times. It only takes 1 crash to mess you up and considering the lack of powder we have here in Aus, I'd say it's a good idea to have one as there isn't that much to cushion your fall if you do go down hard.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Mates and I have a mega budget trip booked for late July into early august.

Driving Brisbane to Thredbo, Staying at Jindy! Costing us just under 500 bucks with lift passes, fuel money and accom!
So keen! First time skiing in Australia! Kinda excited!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Helmet or no helmet?
Never worn one snowboarding before, I think it would feel restrictive and not as warm. Considering getting one tho because I want to hit the bag jump that remarks usually has and I plan on spending a lot of time in the park this season.
Started snowboarding in 1995 and done 400+ days of riding. Started wearing a snowboarding helmet in 1998. As long as you find one that fits your noggin, they are gold - no restriction at all. Plus they do keep your head warm, better then any beanie thats for sure.

If you are hitting the park, I reckon you'd be crazy not to wear one. Those park jump landings are pretty firm and unforgiving if you make a mistake - they are cheap insurance for "some" peace of mind (ie they won't protect you from EVERYTHING but they sure will reduce the risk). I've smacked my head from crashes in the park and know that my helmet saved me from concussion or worse.

I've been using the same Giro helmet for a number of years. Wife rides with a Smith helmet (prior to this she wore a Giro also).

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
snow! yeah! with a little luck the annual feathertop (or near there) snow and booze and pack haul and smell bad fest will be on again. yum! no lifts, no people, no worries.

like cleeshoy said, helmets = good for snowboarding. win. at least they make good looking ones nowadays :) I find them actually more comfy than beanies, and in my more snowy-full on days reassuring when pinning headfirst down steep chutes toward big rocks after cocking it up. Hmm. better get a new one actually.

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have any tips on how to find snow depth charts for NZ? I have had no luck searching so far.

The plan is now to go 1-10th of July. Is there likely to be anything to ski on? :p

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any tips on how to find snow depth charts for NZ? I have had no luck searching so far.
I just use Snowreport.co.nz. Unfortunately it doesn't get updated until the season starts for most resorts...

The plan is now to go 1-10th of July. Is there likely to be anything to ski on? :p
You'll definitely be able to ski at Snow Park. As far as the rest of the country goes, it varies season to season. Last year was shocking, the 2 years before that were all good with plenty of snow by then. I'm now expecting to be there from ~15th June fwiw.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
I Actualy did Stumble upon a snow depth chart for nz while panicking about having no snow. Think i just google searched it. Nz should start early this year cause perisher was early last year thats the myth i heard anyway, it seems to have held true for the past 3 years.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just for the extra wank factor? ;)

Let us know how they ride. I'm yet to find a set of high-end Burton hardware that I think is worth the $$, so it will be interesting to see if the Diodes are any different.
So, new bindings just arrived. Obviously haven't ridden them yet, but my thoughts so far:

Rediculously light weight. Just weighed them and they are 20% lighter than my old burtons.

Also, after a comparative flex test by kinda twisting everything, they are a lot more rigid on all backplate axis, but the baseplate has the so called "reflex" flex they were talking about. If the reflex actually amounts to anything, I don't know.

Overall, they are what they claimed to be. Looking forward to on snow testing.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney that is reputable to get a snowboard tuned? How much would I be looking at for getting it waxed and filling some small gouges?

One Track Mind in Crows Nest is about a 5 minute walk from my place so thinking about taking it there!

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
This year, nearly all mainland resorts will have RFID & e-tickets for their lifts. :hurt:

As one who has used the lifts in some resorts for a few years without paying for passes (it was amazing when I figured out how do-able it was), this has thrown a spanner in my "ski bum" works. (moment to mourn the old day pass sytem)

Looks like I'll be developing more in my XC skiing & backcountry on the Bogong High Plains/Stirling areas. I've already got experience camping in snow, and there's camping/huts on Stirling. Although in most years, the Stirling cover is crappy.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney that is reputable to get a snowboard tuned? How much would I be looking at for getting it waxed and filling some small gouges?
No idea about shops, I'd recommend buying a tuning kit yourself, watching a few vids on YouTube and learning how to do it yourself. You'll save yourself buckets of money, and you'll appreciate the convenience.

Waxing especially is ridiculously simple to do yourself and you'll often do a better job (with the option of better waxes) than the shop. You'll appreciate being able to wax your board every few days, rather than paying for it. P-tex is also pretty cheap, and simple to use. Again, I'd recommend doing it yourself.

As far as pricing goes, it will depend on the quantity and depth of the gouges. A machine wax might be $5, and a proper wax maybe $15? It's costly enough that it's worth doing it yourself.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No idea about shops, I'd recommend buying a tuning kit yourself, watching a few vids on YouTube and learning how to do it yourself. You'll save yourself buckets of money, and you'll appreciate the convenience.

Waxing especially is ridiculously simple to do yourself and you'll often do a better job (with the option of better waxes) than the shop. You'll appreciate being able to wax your board every few days, rather than paying for it. P-tex is also pretty cheap, and simple to use. Again, I'd recommend doing it yourself.

As far as pricing goes, it will depend on the quantity and depth of the gouges. A machine wax might be $5, and a proper wax maybe $15? It's costly enough that it's worth doing it yourself.
I did get a demonstration on how to P-tex and wax a board in Whistler and it didn't look too hard...would probably need to view those youtube vids as I'd had a few beers under my belt at the demo! :p

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I'm staying in Jyndabine for a weekend with some guys from work.

I did have plans to do a ski instructors course in NZ but that fell through and all my mates who I've been to NZ with in the past will be over in Europe so that leaves me with not much in the way of skiing this year.