2012 Snow Thread

Hew

Likes Dirt
I am so damn keen for NZ - Completely paid for it now excluding gear and general expenses.

Does anyone know if it's frowned upon to take a snow shovel up, go off trail a fair bit, and build myself a little jump to session?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am so damn keen for NZ - Completely paid for it now excluding gear and general expenses.

Does anyone know if it's frowned upon to take a snow shovel up, go off trail a fair bit, and build myself a little jump to session?
Depends where you go. Generally not, but you might get a power tripping ski patrol that wants to make an issue of it.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Looking to buy a new jacket for this season..
Does anyone have any links to some reputable sites or seen some good deals on jackets?
Cheers
+1 forTorpedo 7 tru snow al so give ccs a look link there VVVV
http://shop.ccs.com/_-_/keyword-snowboard+jackets?cm_sp=Header-_-snow-_-jackets

I also plan to do a good bit of hiking about the mountains this year, build a little powder kicker if possible. found this vid the other day there's some amazing stuff you can access from the top of remarkables that I didn't know about until I watched that. the good stuff is from 2:00 in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6L6Ai3rgG4&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Melbourne people looking for super cheap outer wear check out 663 Chapel St. Ist called Colation brands or something like that. They have way cheaper than interent prices.

el nico

Squid
Looking to buy a new jacket for this season..
Does anyone have any links to some reputable sites or seen some good deals on jackets?
Cheers
Do you live near a DFO? The mountain designs outlets have some huge sales at the moment. Just got 750 worth of gear for 200. They stock lots of mountain hardware and Columbia stff.

Personally I'm a big fan of a gtx shell and a fleece underlayer especially in oz when it is often hot!

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Heading down to Perisher on Saturday morning through till Wednesday. Then heading back down the following Monday through Sunday. Me like.

Anyone at the Perisher ski fields at the moment and wanting to comment on the state of the different resorts. I see North Perisher is still closed. Sadface.

RDH

Likes Dirt
I just bought a house so no Perisher/Thredbo trips this year. Or Japan next year. Lame.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Snow Park opens tomorrow, Cardrona Valley looks mint. Check out the Cardrona Facebook page for a recent pic if you haven't seen it already, definitely worth it.

Currently waiting for my flight at Sydney Airport, stupidly keen.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never seen so much snow on the Southern Alps. Here's hoping that the season keeps up with a bit of consistency for once.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Just for the extra wank factor? ;)

Let us know how they ride. I'm yet to find a set of high-end Burton hardware that I think is worth the $$, so it will be interesting to see if the Diodes are any different.
Ok, finally got in a ride to report on the burton diodes. I compared them back to back with a few other bindings to make sure I wasn't imagining things. Basically, they do what they were designed to do perfectly. They are a super stiff all-big mountain binding. Board feel was incredible, there was heaps more feedback than anything I've ridden, without chatter beneath your feet. I could instantly lay a lot more power into turns compared to the other bindings I rode and I managed to pull heaps of traction out of some fairly nasty snow. The extra rigidity makes it really easy to make the edges work hard in the snow. They also have a really thin baseplate so you actually sit lower on the board. I'm not sure how much difference it makes but it did feel more aggressive than bindings with a thicker baseplate. Overall, very impressed and certainly my favourite binding so far. The only downside was realistically they are too stiff for effective park use. Unless you are super clean on landings and rails etc, they are simply unforgiving of bad landings and heavy impacts. I'm really fired up to ride them again.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, awesome ^. Glad to hear you're loving them. How's the season going for Australia at the moment?

A quick photo from Snow Park looking over towards Cardies. Generally the snow is pretty skinny, everywhere other than SP needs a big dump to get most things rideable.
IMG_3844.JPG

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Yeah, awesome ^. Glad to hear you're loving them. How's the season going for Australia at the moment?

A quick photo from Snow Park looking over towards Cardies. Generally the snow is pretty skinny, everywhere other than SP needs a big dump to get most things rideable.
View attachment 238711
Australia is doing its usual thing of calling a thin, white-ish layer of ice snow. Bitterness aside, it is actually a pretty good season so far. All lifts at thredbo are open and most runs are rideable, although they get pretty icey in the shade and sloppy in the afternoon sun.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I also plan to do a good bit of hiking about the mountains this year, build a little powder kicker if possible. found this vid the other day there's some amazing stuff you can access from the top of remarkables that I didn't know about until I watched that. the good stuff is from 2:00 in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6L6Ai3rgG4&feature=player_embedded

make sure there has been a bit of snow first otherwise you will find that all the snow up there is just windblown ice. The shutes off the top of the shadow basin chair are a lot more protected though and they should be pretty good even after minimal snow.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone is after some stoke.

[video=vimeo;45179981]http://vimeo.com/45179981#at=0[/video]