VIC 2012 Victorian Enduro Series - Website now live!

sossy

Saucier
Hi Y'all,

Well, it's finally here - a new website dedicated to the Victorian Enduro Series.

For those of you chasing info regarding the series, from series rules, series calender, up to date series standings, round by round results etc, here it is!

head along to www.vicenduroseries.com.au

No one is pretending the site is pretty, no flashing lights, no bells and whistles, but the site is there, it is easily navigated, but more importantly, it is current!

This site doesn't aim to replace the MTBV site, this is purely a site for info regarding the Victorian Enduro Series.

Looking forward to seeing you at the next round at the You Yangs!

Cheers,
Rich

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Teams vs Solo

I entered the Crazy 6 as part of a triple and on race day found there were only two teams in the category.
Two years ago when I last raced as a team there were more teams than solos, and teams racing is so much more fun.
Why are there so few teams entering VES now?
Maybe it has something to do with the entry pricing, it costs $50 to enter whether your solo or part of a team.
$150 to enter a triple race where you get to race for 2hours, compared to $50 as a solo to race for the whole 6 hours.
It can't be insurance because that is covered by MTBA, or higher costs because only one person for each team is riding at a time.
I think the pricing is killing the teams in the attempt to make lots of money.
There should be reduced pricing for teams, say $80 for a pair and $100 for a triple, or even less.
Teams racing should be promoted not killed off.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
teams racing is the "Fun"

I entered the Crazy 6 as part of a triple and on race day found there were only two teams in the category.
Two years ago when I last raced as a team there were more teams than solos, and teams racing is so much more fun.
Why are there so few teams entering VES now?
Maybe it has something to do with the entry pricing, it costs $50 to enter whether your solo or part of a team.
$150 to enter a triple race where you get to race for 2hours, compared to $50 as a solo to race for the whole 6 hours.
It can't be insurance because that is covered by MTBA, or higher costs because only one person for each team is riding at a time.
I think the pricing is killing the teams in the attempt to make lots of money.
There should be reduced pricing for teams, say $80 for a pair and $100 for a triple, or even less.
Teams racing should be promoted not killed off.

Having raced as a team member in triples and sometimes pairs over a number of years I do agree with you that teams racing is a blast because
-it more fun sharing a win and a loss with mates
-get a chance to hang out between laps
-socializing with the other teams you race against is fun
-as a member of a team you help your team mates improve
-racing is more tactical due to the fact that different riders have different strengths and it is enjoyable working out which order etc to race in
-racing for 6 hour doesn't really appeal to me as I am too buggered getting back to work over the next few days.

The down side is trying to find 3 riders who are able to race. We have a pool of 7 riders and it is often hard juggling the team as many of our team have work and family commitments that come up as the last minute. This is not an issue for Solo riders as if they can't race it only effects them.

I don't think the entry fee is stopping anyone, it is more just getting a team together , $50 is pretty fair price these days for a Mt Bike race, just look at some of the PP prices, the Entry fee doesn't seem to stop any people from paying a lot more for their events. However some of the club races have come down in price over the last year and are great value.ie interwinter gazebo and they are super popular and great value.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Confused

On the VES website it says race start at 10am for the Rock Hop next weekend
Dirt riders say 9am..
anyone who can clarify???
Bloody early start Sunday morning to drive for most of us apart from Melbournites :/

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
On the VES website it says race start at 10am for the Rock Hop next weekend
Dirt riders say 9am..
anyone who can clarify???
Bloody early start Sunday morning to drive for most of us apart from Melbournites :/
So what time does the race start? I guess I will have to assume 9am??

raunchy

Squid
Most certainly 9AM, sorry for the early start, but packing up at this time of year in the dark is no fun :-(
Camping is available overnight for those wishing to come the night before. We will be there with a nice warm fire going in the hall for those who are tempted to stay.

johndh

Likes Dirt
rockhop

Where is everyone! Just looked at the entry lists they close on Thursday there are only 14 solo and 3 teams in each category. Are people waiting to see what the weather is like or just leaving entry to the last minute.

akashra

Eats Squid
Where is everyone! Just looked at the entry lists they close on Thursday there are only 14 solo and 3 teams in each category. Are people waiting to see what the weather is like or just leaving entry to the last minute.
The Rock Hop has always both been barely advertised, and surveys came back giving it the lowest scores in terms of enjoyment and general event presentation. It's really no surprise to me that it's poorly subscribed. Most people wouldn't even know it's on, and many that do consider it to be 'too hard' because the course generally gives no rest. Personally, I disagree with the latter, but that's just the general comments made.

For the last who knows how many years, it had, off the top of my head, 127(?) entries. Last year it grew massively and actually got a few more (140?), most of them being on the day entries that didn't appear in the pre-entries.

Knut

Troll hunter
anyone here have a garmin file or strava link for the course? How long will the lap be?
From the GMBC Satelite:

It's relatively grippy usually. The laps are about eight kays long. There is some technical bits, nothing too scary. There are some fun bits that make you look forward to them on the way around the lap. If it rains, it becomes muddy. If it doesn't rain, it's rocky and dusty. It normally thumps down that hard that visibility is 100m ahead in the car... When you get there, it's good fun. It can be a tough course. There are a lot (read shitloads more, than Ballarat Inter Winter course) of ups and downs. Short sharp, smack you in the face for riding like a bitch climbs.

The Garmin had you riding through dams two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Looks like the late rush of entries have started.. Including myself, defiantly a love/hate relationship with that course, usually hate after the first few laps!

Hopefully the work they did out there over summer has held up, the cross country course was much better this year than previous

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Looks like the late rush of entries have started.. Including myself, defiantly a love/hate relationship with that course, usually hate after the first few laps!

Hopefully the work they did out there over summer has held up, the cross country course was much better this year than previous
New riding partner there mate? :)
Agreed with the love/hate relationship. Not keen on doing double laps this weekend!

riderideride

Likes Dirt
New riding partner there mate? :)
Agreed with the love/hate relationship. Not keen on doing double laps this weekend!
She is subbing for me :p I am still a bit too tired and sore from the past two weekends of soloing. Lucky for Ben the sub is an upgrade :D

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
She is subbing for me :p I am still a bit too tired and sore from the past two weekends of soloing. Lucky for Ben the sub is an upgrade :D
yup racing on consecutive weekends is tough!! sounds like you deserve the break. Besides isn't it your turn to be pit bitch? :)

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
Even if it rains a but load, the tracks generally drain pretty quickly bar a few low sections in gullies. However, there are a few places where large ruts have formed due to so much rain in the past few months and not a lot of riding or maintenance, but I'm pretty sure they're only on the fire road sections which there won't be much of in the actual race.
The tracks are also great fun, if you're feeling fit, and have what I believe is a good standard for many mountain bike courses because it isn't really easy, nor really hard and is challenging the faster you ride it (obviously...)

Just my 2c and from what I've heard.