2014 Demo 8 with Öhlins rear shock, ridden?

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a few mates who are riding them now after coming off the 2013 demos with double barrels. Apparently it holds traction a hell of a lot better and just feels like your wheel is constantly in contact with the ground rather than bouncy though rough stuff. Also found it exceptionally easy to set up the way they like it due to the lack of a million possible adjustments like are found on the DB.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a few mates who are riding them now after coming off the 2013 demos with double barrels. Apparently it holds traction a hell of a lot better and just feels like your wheel is constantly in contact with the ground rather than bouncy though rough stuff. Also found it exceptionally easy to set up the way they like it due to the lack of a million possible adjustments like are found on the DB.
Mate I'd take what they have to say with a pinch of salt, because really they cant even setup a CCDB properly.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Also, if anyone replies to this who has one of the new Demo's, can they include their weight and the spring rate they're using with the Öhlins? Curious whether it varies compared to previos shocks used on the Demo.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate I'd take what they have to say with a pinch of salt, because really they cant even setup a CCDB properly.
I never said they couldn't set up a DB, the riders I mentioned are more than capable of tuning suspension, all I said was that it was easier to adjust it to the right settings for their bike which is a positive for a lot of people who may not be capable of correctly setting up their ride or don't want the hassle.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a few mates who are riding them now after coming off the 2013 demos with double barrels. ]Apparently it holds traction a hell of a lot better and just feels like your wheel is constantly in contact with the ground rather than bouncy though rough stuff. Also found it exceptionally easy to set up the way they like it due to the lack of a million possible adjustments like are found on the DB.
I have high lighted to part that makes me think otherwise.

all I said was that it was easier to adjust it to the right settings for their bike which is a positive for a lot of people who may not be capable of correctly setting up their ride or don't want the hassle.
If you're that much of a noob you shouldn't be riding such advance gear.
Anyone who spends close to 1k on a shock should damned well know how to use all the adjustments inside and out.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have high lighted to part that makes me think otherwise.
Ok fair enough, poor wording on my behalf and probably a bit of a exaggeration, was only trying to get across the point that in their opinion in sections of track where previously they had either felt like they were sliding or things started bouncing them because it was a much rougher/faster/technical section that the DB didn't hold complete traction the whole time, the Ohlins held up better and gave a more consistent feel. They still had a great deal of respect for the DB and thought that 95% of the time it did a perfect job for them, just in their opinion it surpasses it.

You're saying you have three or more mates running Ohlins?
Are you for real man
Yes I am, three of them are part of a shop team (one's an employee/racer, the other two are sponsored by them) and the fourth is just another friend who's also good mates with the shop so he jumped at the chance for a good deal on a 2014 demo. Only heard feedback from two of the shop riders and the extra friend, two of whom came off 2013 demos and one who came off an old norco so had some comparisons to the DB as well as some old fox shock (can't remember the exact model though).

morticus

Likes Dirt
This guy speaks the truth. Sorry dirt lover, not sure what your legit name is but i'm certain you are one of the lads i was riding with at the Illinbah social day.

20131215_144616 (1024x768).jpg

OliRas

Likes Bikes
Apparently it holds traction a hell of a lot better and just feels like your wheel is constantly in contact with the ground rather than bouncy though rough stuff.

what if you wanted a bit of 'pop' from your back wheel, like when you're doing jumps and stuff?

Odissius

Likes Dirt
The price!!!!!

So apparently the shock costs $1899 + $159 for the spring. Crazy expensive!!! I started this thread as I was curious about putting one on my '13 Demo I, f%$# dat! Only makes sense to buy one of the top spec Demo's that come with the shock. Still curious to hear feedback from people riding them though...

Freeo

Likes Bikes
So apparently the shock costs $1899 + $159 for the spring. Crazy expensive!!! I started this thread as I was curious about putting one on my '13 Demo I, f%$# dat! Only makes sense to buy one of the top spec Demo's that come with the shock. Still curious to hear feedback from people riding them though...
Just ride Nerang quoted me $1000 for the shock and spring.