AM 2014 GT Force X Pro

Mr Franky

Likes Bikes
Took delivery a week ago and have been out a few times, but today was the day I realised how good this bike is. From all the reviews I've read, they all said the same thing, point and shoot. There's no other way to ride this bike, just go flat out. If you do, you're rewarded with smiles and laughs.

I originally test rode the Sensor Pro and that thing was amazing. It climbed so well and went down even better. With that knowledge I knew the Force could not be beat on the descent. Before the Sensor, I rode a 27.5 Remedy 9 and a SB66. The Remedy was too twitchy and hard to get use to. The SB66 was alright but felt too big. The Force is just so predicable and easy to work with. Picking your line is a piece of cake.

My only gripe is the chainring. Being a 36t it's quite large. My first modification is going to be a 32t.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
beautiful ride! Needs more yellow!?!! Cables?

How you finding the Freeza rotors? Any long descents yet?
Any problems with dirt/mud collecting near the shock area of frame?

Can you elaborate on your experience with the SB66? What size were you riding to find the bike 'too big'?

Mr Franky

Likes Bikes
beautiful ride! Needs more yellow!?!! Cables?

How you finding the Freeza rotors? Any long descents yet?
Any problems with dirt/mud collecting near the shock area of frame?

Can you elaborate on your experience with the SB66? What size were you riding to find the bike 'too big'?
More yellow would be quite good.

No large descents yet.

My first ride was in mud and after the ride there was none on the shock. Everything was clean in that area.

This bike is a medium and the SB66 was a medium. It felt bulky to me. Nothing against the Yeti, it's one of my favourite bikes. Especially with the amount of success it's received.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More yellow would be quite good.

No large descents yet.

My first ride was in mud and after the ride there was none on the shock. Everything was clean in that area.

This bike is a medium and the SB66 was a medium. It felt bulky to me. Nothing against the Yeti, it's one of my favourite bikes. Especially with the amount of success it's received.
Don't worry mate, you don't have to make chops feel better about his ordinary purchase ;)

The bike looks great, 30 odd GT's in my garage and none of the new ones yet. It's getting harder to put off from what I'm seeing and hearing about them.

Keep us updated.

ChopSticks

Banned
Don't worry mate, you don't have to make chops feel better about his ordinary purchase ;)

The bike looks great, 30 odd GT's in my garage and none of the new ones yet. It's getting harder to put off from what I'm seeing and hearing about them.
i know i know....only reason its ordinary is because its alloy and not carbon :(

forget the wife,kids and the house.... hurry up and buy one of these !....... or this:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/classic-bike-1991-gt-xizang.html

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
Awesome bike. I'm guessing you got it from Venture Cycles?

I saw it in the shop last Thursday after they'd just finished putting it together. Sorry if there was any drool left on it.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GT have really hit the nail on the head with the looks.

MMmm That is a tasty looking bike mate, hope she serves you well!

Walbe470

Cannon Fodder
Nice!

I recently bought a GT Force X Expert which I'm pretty happy with. I agree that it's a point and shoot bike. The linkage system with the frames geometry work amazingly well.

How do you find it running a single chain ring?

I've got the double set up and I'm not overly happy with it (tuning wise it extremely difficult in its current setup). I'm considering reducing to a single to reduce the weight of system and do a bit of de-cluttering. I've made a couple of modifications to mine like replacing the wheels with a lighter set and putting lighter tyres on it.

A couple of complaints with the expert model I have so far are the weight of the bike and the susceptibility of the paint to chip. Also, from the factory/from the shop my rear wheel (WTB st i23 w/ All-Terra hubs) buckled on its first descent and has since continued to buckle after two truing attempts - not a happy man.

Having said all this I would have to say this is a quintessential do-it-all bike and highly recommended!

photo.jpg

Mr Franky

Likes Bikes
Single chain ring is definitely the way to go. Just make sure you get the ratio correct, otherwise you'll be pushing up those steep climbs.

I too agree with the weight. It's quite hefty.

Walbe470

Cannon Fodder
I'm thinking of running the XCX d-type guide (as per the pro model) but it says it says its only compatible down to 33t. You thinking you'll be able to run a 32t? I'm thinking 32 is the way to go as well but don't want to go for a bb guide.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'm thinking of running the XCX d-type guide (as per the pro model) but it says it says its only compatible down to 33t. You thinking you'll be able to run a 32t? I'm thinking 32 is the way to go as well but don't want to go for a bb guide.
You can use an XCX with a 32, the problem is you can't quite get it low enough because the spider on the cranks will hit it. I got mine as close as possible <1mm with no drag and no dropped chains - not sure if I was just lucky but it was sitting a little high.

Not using it anymore as a NW chain has been 100% reliable.

Mr Franky

Likes Bikes
ethirteen say that they don't guarantee 32t. But they do have a position for it and obviously they can work.

blurred

Likes Bikes
Just bought a pro myself, it's getting a few pilfered parts from my blur ltc and a custom wheelset ;) pics soon.

With the top guide possibly not fitting a 32t, just get a narrow/wide ring and ditch the guide all together, makes it look even cleaner and you still won't drop a chain. The clutch tension on the derailleur can be adjusted easily too, it's just under the cover where the switch is.

Glenn Polner

Likes Bikes
Brought the expert, great bike! I ditched the 2 x before it left shop, put narrow wide 32t raceface has not dropped!

Question, what speed you running rear shock at? Have set in middle of range and find it difficult to adjust, emailed GT about going monarch plus for ease of adjustment

Grips:

Rebound adjustment almost impossible!

Exploded rear Hub :-/ lol waiting on replacement but have ordered hadley hubs which will be laces to flow ex on dt champions

LEV seat post, swapped to left side trigger which screws post as doesnt release properly with cable routed as doesnt allow for enough shift so runs next to crank going to replace soon with reverb