AM 2014 Norco Sight 7.2 beefed up

Newie

Likes Dirt
I was in the market for a new bike with some left over goodies from my previous bike so the new bike build was going to be pretty good by my standards.
I was certain it was going to be a 650b GT Sensor or a Kona Process 134, maybe even a Norco Sight 7.2. I tried the GT Sensor first and to be honest on and the AOS wasn't all that I hoped it to be
(I had a Sensor 2012 previously and they seemed worlds apart to me in the assistance I received with pedaling). So with the AOS not making the bikes pros or cons list that leveled the ground for Kona and Norco.

The Sight was next one the list and I tell you when I gave it the all important car park test ride I knew it would be great at declining but how was it at pedaling.
Surprisingly the pedaling was of no consequence, it wasn't bad and it was good so that made my choice even easier (Nothing a shock upgrade and dropper couldn't handle).
The Norco felt so good naturally as it was stock I could only imagine the possibilities.

To be honest I never made it to the Kona for a test ride being with distances to bike shops, from home and that the Kona was listed (discounted) over $500+ dollars more than the Norco with a similar spec but keeping in mind
I still had some parts at home.

The guys at The Push Bike Shop Pakenham were very helpful gave me a great price and threw in some awesome extras, highly recommend them.
The bike is a beast it's one of those few bikes I have jumped on from the get go completely stock and gone YEP this is it, this is the one.

Frame - 2014 Norco Sight 7.2 Medium
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch
Front shock/fork - RockShox Revelations RL 140mm
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar Lite
Stem - Renthal Duo 50mm
Headset - FSA Sealed bearing
Grips - ODI Ruffian
Saddle - SDG Alisio TI
Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb 125mm drop 30.9mm
Front brake - SLX BL-M675
Rear brake - XT BL-M785
Cranks - Shimano XT Double with RaceFace NW 32T
Chainguide - BLACKSPIRE EINFACHX Chainguide (Direct Mount) 32-42t - Black (When racing)
Chain - Sram PC 1031 10 speed chain
Pedals - Shimano PD-M530 Trail or Nukeproof Neutron Flats
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX Shadow Plus Direct mount type
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX
Cassette - CS-HG80
Front hub - Joytec alloy MTB w/disc 15 mm axle - STOCK
Rear hub - Joytec 142 x 12 12 mm through hole disc - STOCK
Front rim - Alex TD 26 27.5 mm double wall 26 mm wide - STOCK
Rear rim - Alex TD 26 27.5 mm double wall 26 mm wide - STOCK
Spokes - Spokes/Nipples Stainless steel black 2.0 spokes - STOCK
Nipples - Spokes/Nipples Stainless steel black 2.0 spokes - STOCK
Tyres - Hans Dampf x 2.35 Front and Rock Razor x 2.35 Rear
Tubes - Tubeless Front and Maxxis Welter weight rear
Total weight - 13kgs + on bathroom scales
Extras - Novatec QR 142 x 12 bolt through

Future upgrades - Wheel set and rear shock.

Last edited:

Newie

Likes Dirt
Nice rig..
Curious why you've got XT rear brakes and SLX front?
Thanks, between bikes I had the SLX on another bike and took a little spill breaking the rear lever.
Since receiving the new bike I have replaced it with a XT set

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow there has been a spate of this lately lol.......

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...essions-from-the-fuck-wits&highlight=fuckwits

Don't forget pictures :)
:doh:..........
Really? They're manitous...
Well that's what you get for paying small amounts of attention and trying to be first to post :)
Lighten up people - I was joking about the forks being the wrong way around!

to the OP nice bike! I had a quick look at these when I was looking for an AM bike!

Newie

Likes Dirt
Lighten up people - I was joking about the forks being the wrong way around!

to the OP nice bike! I had a quick look at these when I was looking for an AM bike!
Thanks, I got the joke saw the little emoticon : p

Yeah solid bike for AM maybe not at the top of most peoples list, even mine but has the potential and a very very happy surprise.
Really want to get it over to You Yangs and give it a good thrashing only been to Lysterfield on it so far.

Newie

Likes Dirt
Dat cable spaghetti.
Yeah it looks like there's a bit there I must admit, but the rear is probably the only one I would want to trim mainly, maybe a little off the Reverb.
The rear is the only one really noticeable in the flesh though.

Had it happened before went to short, bars crossed up etc and the day was over simply because of 5 - 10 cm.
Had the bike less than 4 weeks so just seeing where the cables are going to rub or give problems before getting over zealous with cutters.

Newie

Likes Dirt
Loving the bike, pedals good and decends even better, I have recently upgraded the tyres thanks to a fellow Rotorburner running Hans Dampf on the front and a Rock Razor on the rear
and I am railing berms so much better big improvement on the tyres have helped a lot.

Picked up some new forks of course Pikes are good but I can't justify that amount of money so will wait till they come down but in the meantime the Revelations are more than enough for me.
I successfully converted the front wheel to tubeless hassle free which is amazing for me and I can see and feel what everyone is talking about. I am keeping the rear tubed until I get a proper wheelset as I'm still
a bit of a hack some days on the bike with tyre pressures.

Picked up a Blackspire direct mount chain guide and fark aren't they overpriced just because they are DM. Not to bad for me though got it on sale I think $50 delivered but still were $78 RRP + postage at most places.
1 x 10 still working for me, thought I wouldn't have the fitness to push up but I manage well enough.

Looking for a wheelset and want a Monarch RL/RT ??? to help with the climbs

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Looking Nice Mate!!! Glad to see another loving his Sight as much as I do. What wheelset are you looking at??

Newie

Likes Dirt
Haven't nailed down anything in particular but I am thinking Stans with hopes (of course ), Easton or DT Swiss.

But I think the shock is next on my list along with a front XT brake to match things up nicely.
I hear you got a new wheelset so might ask you in a while hows it going, but I am liking the Alex rim width currently matched with Schwalbe tyres.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Awesome! Sounds like you got some sweet plans install for it. Ordered my new wheelset......hasn't come in yet :( Went with the Stans Arch + Hope Combo. I'm looking at getting some guide brakes next after the wheels. Then the rear shock, once it dies.

Last edited:

Klips

Likes Dirt
Don't fuck around with the shock, get a DBInline. Got one for my 7.1 carbon and it's the best. Seriously bring the bike to life up and down the hill, and the base tune is pretty damn good as a starting point.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Hey Newie, this extra you've mentioned, Novatec QR 142 x 12 bolt through, might sound like a stupid question, but does that make the rear wheel quick release? I was told this was not possible.