AM 2014 Trek Remedy 8...now 2018 Trek Remedy 8 (Page 3)

Deposit down on Remedy 9!

Just put a deposit down on a 2014 remedy 9. Just trying to decide on final spec.

Gonna put some 780mm renthal fat bars and rental stem on there. Some CrankBros Mallet DH Race pedals.
Going to go a 1X setup with NW up front. Is the consensus that I may as well put a light guide on there while I'm at it then?

Also was tossing up whether to leave the fox 34 in there, or swap it out for a 150mm pike. Or even get the fox 34 modded to 150mm travel. Thoughts? I was kinda leaning towards a pike, and selling of the fox fork while its still brand new.

Cheers
D

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time!

Bars – Kodex Strutbar (750mm wide)
Stem – Spank Spike (35mm)
Dropper Remote – KS LEV Southpaw

Initially I thought the 35mm stem could be too short but I’m actually liking it! I dropped the stem height by a couple of spacers which seems to have a better feel with steering!

Big thanks to Nerf Herder for helping out with the KS Lev Southpaw remote install! This remote makes the dropper post even better as I was finding the standard remote a bit fiddly to use!

I also threw a new set of Hans Dampf tyres on the bike on the weekend, haven’t had a good chance to ride off road yet but I think they’ll be a big improvement on the stock standard Bontrager tyres!

Attachments

Ivan

Eats Squid
2014 Trek Remedy 8 27.5/650b

I test rode a remedy 9.8 last week and thought the Bonty XR4's were pretty grippy. Comparable to a HD anyway.

Maybe the team issue tyres on the 9.8 is a softer compound to the ones you had.

Last edited:

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I test rode a remedy 9.8 last week and thought the Bonty XR4's were pretty grippy. Comparable to a HD anyway.

Maybe the team issue tyres on the 9.8 is a softer compound to the ones you had.
I think the Bontrager tyres are a great trail tyre, I was really lacking cornering grip in tight twisty stuff so let's see how the Hans Dampf's go!

I also had a tear in my front tyre which was too much for the sealant so I was running a tube, the new tyres have allowed me to go back to 100% tubeless!

SunCoastAndrew

Likes Bikes
Glad to see you are playing with bar height. Dropping the bars right down will put more weight in the front and give you more grip. +1 for loving Bontrager XR4 / 3 F/R combo on Remedy 9.8

Have just ordered a top guide for my N/W front ring too after dropping on first ride - tends to happen when slightly back pedalling through choppy stuff for me (worried bottom guide is the fix but don't want the friction!).

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad to see you are playing with bar height. Dropping the bars right down will put more weight in the front and give you more grip. +1 for loving Bontrager XR4 / 3 F/R combo on Remedy 9.8

Have just ordered a top guide for my N/W front ring too after dropping on first ride - tends to happen when slightly back pedalling through choppy stuff for me (worried bottom guide is the fix but don't want the friction!).
Yeah adjusting the bar height has made a huge difference, even with the old tryes! With the new tyres it's even better!

I haven't had any dramas with NW + top guide! Did you go for the E13 guide? Install is ridiculously easy!

I really need to get my bike in for a service at some point as the gears + brakes need adjustment. I'll get the forks + rear shock serviced too!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a look at this thread and realised I hadn't updated it in 2.5 years, end of the road for the 2014 Trek Remedy as I sold it last week!

The forks were completely rebuilt by MTB Suspension Centre to 150mm travel, made a world of difference. In the process of that rebuild it was found out that a shop in Melbourne who conducted the last rebuild got the air seals in the forks the wrong way around FFS! No wonder I thought the forks were never performing that well!

Also a recent upgrade was the Spank Oozy 345 wheelset, I had managed to buckle and flat spot the Bontrager wheelset so it was nice to have a set of wheels that ran true! Other than that there was a few component upgrades due to wear and tear, the bike was well sorted when I sold it!

Currently awaiting delivery of a 2018 Trek Remedy 8 as a replacement!

Attachments

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bike finally arrived...2018 Trek Remedy 8!

Rides great, feels much more balanced than the old bike, I'd simply put that to 4 years of evolution between them!

It's already been upgraded to tubeless, I changed the grips to ODI Ruffians and threw on a brand new set of Shimano Saint flats with the spacers taken out of the pins.

Attachments

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
New bike looks awesome!

Did your '14 Remedy have a creaky (BB95) BB? My mate's Remedy has a fucked BB, bought some oversized bearings for it (factory "fix") but the NDS is still too loose.

Will be looking at a Locktite solution for it now...

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bike looks awesome!

Did your '14 Remedy have a creaky (BB95) BB? My mate's Remedy has a fucked BB, bought some oversized bearings for it (factory "fix") but the NDS is still too loose.

Will be looking at a Locktite solution for it now...
Nah mate never had any issues with the BB

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got one myself.. wicked bikes. See PYR.
Seems the Fuel gets all the headlines and love but this is a seriously underrated rig in my view.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome bike mate!

I'm looking around for a bike to get back into riding, how do you rate the remedy? Also what size did you get?
Cheers mate! I rated my previous Remedy that's why I updated to a newer model. I got a medium - same size as my last bike. Probably worth having a quick spin on one first to try get the frame size correct!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah great all rounder, enough travel to descend but not too much to make climbing too difficult!
Absolutely agree. Mine has the fork bumped up to 160mm and it's still more than fine for me. There's no steering flop or loose handling.

And that Re:Aktive shock is the business for killing pedal bob. Even in open it's remarkably stable to pedal in.

The descending though, just sooo good!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put a massive hole through the rear Bontrager tyre which destroyed it, then on the next ride managed to ding and flat spot the Bontrager rim to the point of no repair!

I managed to bend the ding out so it would hold air in tubeless but the flat spot remained, I got through a few rides like this but the writing was on the wall!

Here is the current setup - most recent changes Spank Oozy 395+ wheelset and Onza Ibex tyres!

Attachments

Keys

Cannon Fodder
How are you liking the Spank Oozy 395+? Strong and stiff?
I've got a Remedy 8 too, such a sick bike. I've managed to dent the rim in a few places and am looking to upgrade.