2014 XCM Series

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys it’s well documented on here that that the 2014 XCMSeries is not half of what it could have been, but I think it deserves a threadall the same.
It kicks off next weekend in Bright, as a bit of a sideshowto the Nationals which should see some good entry numbers.

Just wondering who is looking at doing part, or all of the series?

Also wondering if entry’s are available on the day, or is itpre entry only? (I have emailed MTBA, but no response)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Doing the Wombat which is part of the series. Was planning on doing the race in Bright but with +1 injured, its a case of "CBF'ed" going all the way to do the race :p

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I was thinking of doing the round down in Mogo, but details are a little scant (camping, facilities etc etc)

Doing the Willo the weekend before, so I might make it a last minute decision

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
So, are many doing the first round in Bright on Monday? I see entries close on Sunday.
Thinking about sneaking over, as long as I can catch up with work over the weekend.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still a maybe - we are expecting a baby (#2) next week so being that far away from home is still questionable.

Surely, racing bikes > having a baby, right? :mod:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
CA website says $110 to do the full marathon, but when you go to enter through MTBA, fee is $120.
A $10 price rise before the first event has even been run!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Not enough numbers.. well, perhaps if'd they'd done any promotion whatsoever, provided any actual details about the track, given any support to those thinking heading down (camping, facilities etc etc), they might have had more numbers

Absolute farce

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
CA have cocked up another thing related to MTB. Not surprised at all.

Sif anyone with half a clue would add an untried and unknown XCM event to a National Series.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
CA have cocked up another thing related to MTB. Not surprised at all.

Sif anyone with half a clue would add an untried and unknown XCM event to a National Series.
Its hardly untried and untested. The Angry Doctor was one of the most popular races in the calendar. it was 90% the same.

Before slamming CA vs MTBA, bear in mind that I think it is doubtful that if CA hadn't got involved, the series would have run at all. MTBA certainly wouldn't have the resources to run it.

I do agree re the marketing of the event. Much like todays race at Bright. Advertised as a 'roadies favourite' or whatever - fireroads everywhere, short etc.
Turns out it was anything but. But - too late. Noone had entered.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Before slamming CA vs MTBA, bear in mind that I think it is doubtful that if CA hadn't got involved, the series would have run at all. MTBA certainly wouldn't have the resources too.
Happy to be corrected but my understanding was MTBA effectively contracted CA to deliver the national series and then where either handed it back or took it back from CA most likely because of the crap job they were doing. Sorry to say but this series screamed flop from the start you can't announce the details of a marathon weeks before the event in a part of the state that is a fair way away from large population centres and expect people to enter. I would guess the private promoters have a fairly large grin on their faces as MTBA now have to come cap in hand to them to try and include their event in the series.

akashra

Eats Squid
Happy to be corrected but my understanding was MTBA effectively contracted CA to deliver the national series and then where either handed it back or took it back from CA most likely because of the crap job they were doing. Sorry to say but this series screamed flop from the start you can't announce the details of a marathon weeks before the event in a part of the state that is a fair way away from large population centres and expect people to enter. I would guess the private promoters have a fairly large grin on their faces as MTBA now have to come cap in hand to them to try and include their event in the series.
An agreement was negotiated in 2011/early 2012 to allow CA to deliver the National Champs, National Series, Marathon Champs and Oceania Champs as a package, and CA decided to add the Marathon series on their own business decision as they thought they could market and successfully promote/run one. In December 2013 things unfolded in a way that I'm not going to detail here such that MTBA took back management of all affected MTB events so that a series would run rather than be cancelled altogether, honouring the prior agreements CA had made with clubs, councils, venues etc and as to not burn those clubs and negatively affect members.

Because Bright (XCM) was to run in conjunction with the National Champs, MTBA decided it would be best that MTBA, not CA, were responsible for that round, rather than trying to have two promoters on a same venue/event. MTBA effectively ran this round under the looks/feel/rules etc that CA desired the RealInsurance XCM Series to have.

The XCM at Bright received 110 entries.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An agreement was negotiated in 2011/early 2012 to allow CA to deliver the National Champs, National Series, Marathon Champs and Oceania Champs as a package, and CA decided to add the Marathon series on their own business decision as they thought they could market and successfully promote/run one. In December 2013 things unfolded in a way that I'm not going to detail here such that MTBA took back management of all affected MTB events so that a series would run rather than be cancelled altogether, honouring the prior agreements CA had made with clubs, councils, venues etc and as to not burn those clubs and negatively affect members.

Because Bright (XCM) was to run in conjunction with the National Champs, MTBA decided it would be best that MTBA, not CA, were responsible for that round, rather than trying to have two promoters on a same venue/event. MTBA effectively ran this round under the looks/feel/rules etc that CA desired the RealInsurance XCM Series to have.

The XCM at Bright received 110 entries.
I actually think it is a shame that the series is panning out the way it is. If MTBA are able to revamp it for next year they will have to work very hard to gain credibility with the punters

akashra

Eats Squid
I actually think it is a shame that the series is panning out the way it is. If MTBA are able to revamp it for next year they will have to work very hard to gain credibility with the punters
The marathon series belongs to CA, not MTBA.