2015 Giant Reign Advanced Options

JK101

Squid
Hi all

I am interested to know if anyone is running any other fork on their 2015 Giant Reign model other than Rockshox Pikes. Any issues or feedback?

I found the write up below and wanted to get some advice before changing out my forks. Was thinking of going with some new 2015/16 Fox 36 160mm travel forks.

Write up:
Ultimately, Giant ended up having to develop a custom (fork) crown offset for the Reign. They worked closely with Rock Shox and the Reign’s custom Pike forks now feature a 46mm offset, 4mm further out than stock Pikes. That might not sound like a lot, but Giant stressed that the difference that the offset makes is ‘night and day’ out on the trails, especially when cornering.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Cant really comment all that much on the tech side of the offsets and all that blah blah.

Main question is why do you want to change from the Pike???
Sounds like an expensive side-step

SummitFever

Eats Squid
From memory, the stock 27.5 Pike has a 42mm offset. The 29er version has a 46mm offset (and maybe 51mm option as well). It sounds like RS have used the 46mm 29er CSU to build their "custom" +4mm offset Pike for the Reign. Increasing the offset will reduce the "trail" and make the steering feel lighter and more nimble. As you go up in wheelsize, the trail increases (all other things being equal) and the steering feels heavier and less nimble. Also, as you slacken the head angle you get a similar affect. Reducing the trail through more offset can give you some of that light/nimble steering response back.

Everyone else with a 27.5mm Pike is probably running a 42mm offset, so it can't be a complete handling disaster. Only you will really be able to tell whether the heavier/slower steering response of a 42mm fork suits your still and riding etc. How you fork and rear shock is setup (sag, damping etc.) will make a much bigger difference to how your bike rides out on the trail.

Minlak

custom titis
You don't mention a reason to change and "because" is fine.

I just got some pikes and was amazed to find out about bottomless tokens. I knew they existed but never cared because it didn't relate to me. Apparantly it makes a huge difference to the forks and shocks.

[video=youtube;e69N6Pzt9HI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e69N6Pzt9HI[/video]

beejay

Likes Dirt
I built my reign 2015 from the frame up. Still went with pikes but they are the 42mm offset version. The difference is nowhere near "night and day" that's just overhyped marketing. The steering on mine is the tinniest bit heavier than the OEM forks (I test rode them when they came out). But the upside is when turning tight on up hills the front wheel doesn't fold under as much when the handlebars are turned.

I would say don't worry about the off set as you'll probably never notice the difference, there's other bikes with the same head angle and wheel size that have 42mm off set pikes and I haven't read about any problems with handling?? (SAM Focus is just one...)

Curios to know though why you'd go the 36's over leaving the pikes on? Expensive change with minimal to no gain in my opinion.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
From memory, the stock 27.5 Pike has a 42mm offset. The 29er version has a 46mm offset (and maybe 51mm option as well). It sounds like RS have used the 46mm 29er CSU to build their "custom" +4mm offset Pike for the Reign. Increasing the offset will reduce the "trail" and make the steering feel lighter and more nimble. As you go up in wheelsize, the trail increases (all other things being equal) and the steering feels heavier and less nimble. Also, as you slacken the head angle you get a similar affect. Reducing the trail through more offset can give you some of that light/nimble steering response back.

Everyone else with a 27.5mm Pike is probably running a 42mm offset, so it can't be a complete handling disaster. Only you will really be able to tell whether the heavier/slower steering response of a 42mm fork suits your still and riding etc. How you fork and rear shock is setup (sag, damping etc.) will make a much bigger difference to how your bike rides out on the trail.
You win a cookie. All they did was put the 29er crown on the Fork. Nothing really that custom.

JK101

Squid
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I should have made it clearer in my initial post and that is I am building the bike up from the frame and don't yet have forks (well I do have some fox 36) but wasn't sure if I should use them on this build after my mate was telling me about the "night and day" difference but it seems the general consensus is I wouldn't really notice the difference and other than the cost (which I have already absorbed), fox forks will be fine.