2015 Giant Reign owners

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I need more progression from this shock... Max amount of bottomless spacers installed (about 7 or 8?) 27.5% sag and still bottoming out too often. Don't really want to run any less sag because I'm worried about steepening the head angle too much. 270 psi at 95kg.

Is a re-shim of the shock the best option? Still want good square edge hit compliance so would getting a firm tune stuff this up? or should I trial and error with a pyramid/2 stage stack?

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need more progression from this shock... Max amount of bottomless spacers installed (about 7 or 8?) 27.5% sag and still bottoming out too often. Don't really want to run any less sag because I'm worried about steepening the head angle too much. 270 psi at 95kg.

Is a re-shim of the shock the best option? Still want good square edge hit compliance so would getting a firm tune stuff this up? or should I trial and error with a pyramid/2 stage stack?
steepening the head angle?? its 65 degrees! id run less sag. and how do you have 270psi in it? im 86kg hand have 70. no spacers though.

fedor346

Likes Dirt

Yeah sounds like either reshim or different piston. I only have a 2013 reign with a monarch plus MM tune I weigh 83kg and only need 220psi for about the same sag your running.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
steepening the head angle?? its 65 degrees! id run less sag. and how do you have 270psi in it? im 86kg hand have 70. no spacers though.
Using it for a lot more downhill than all mountain ;). 70? same bike? what shock?

Yeah sounds like either reshim or different piston. I only have a 2013 reign with a monarch plus MM tune I weigh 83kg and only need 220psi for about the same sag your running.
Debon air can? because debon needs higher pressure to achieve the same sag as non-debon.

will2

Likes Dirt
Anyone tried putting 26 wheels in the new reign? With decent rubber it wouldn't be much different, any adverse effects to geometry besides BB drop? Please don't call me a pelican.

will2

Likes Dirt
in english?
I have purchased a bicycle from Giant, however of a different model; the 2015 Giant Trance Trance advanced 1. I noticed this mild indentation in the Alloy tubes of the rear triangle, I felt uneasy at the thought that maybe I had purchased a defective product. I have been greatly put at ease knowing this is the norm for the bicycles of this era.
Capisce?

After 3 months of solid thrashing i love the bike and have no regrets.

I do however have one complaint about it. My problem is the rear axel loosens itself when i ride over rough rocky terrain. It only started happening in the last few rides but its getting frigging annoying. No matter how hard i tighten it (im talking as tight as i possibly can until im purple in the face and my hand hurts and people are looking at me weird like i just pooped my pants) it still loosens easily after a few minutes of riding over some rough trail sections.

Has any body else had this problem?

What options can i try to fix this? will that lock tight stuff work? seems like a pain in the ass to have to use it every time i take the wheel off though.
Or i thought about zip tying the lever to the chain stay? again a massive pain in the ass.

any help/wisdom would be much appreciate

bgs

Likes Bikes

I do however have one complaint about it. My problem is the rear axel loosens itself when i ride over rough rocky terrain. It only started happening in the last few rides but its getting frigging annoying. No matter how hard i tighten it (im talking as tight as i possibly can until im purple in the face and my hand hurts and people are looking at me weird like i just pooped my pants) it still loosens easily after a few minutes of riding over some rough trail sections.

What options can i try to fix this? will that lock tight stuff work? seems like a pain in the ass to have to use it every time i take the wheel off though.
Or i thought about zip tying the lever to the chain stay? again a massive pain in the ass.

Yep, got a 2015 Reign Advanced 1 and same thing happened to me recently on a trip to Roto. It's due for it's 3 month service soon, so I'll mention it to Giant and see what they have got to say.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
hmm its happened to me once.. only noticed because brakes started squealing when they pulled the wheel out of alignment in the dropouts slightly! was a big scary but im convinced it was because I didnt tighten it properly to begin with.

i do check it after prolonged rocky downhills now though... like i said.. only an issue once

teK--

Eats Squid

I had this problem.

Tried loctite it doesn't work most of the time.

You need to remote the axle nut from the frame and give the threads a good clean with alcohol get all grease out. then clean the axkle threads. Then tighten it tight but you don't need to wrench on it.

I have done this and it stays tight all ride now.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Is it a 12mm axle like the trance sx /advanced and has a DT Swiss skewer?

I have a shimano 12mm axle on my trance, its very tight and hasn't come loose thanks to the way it clamps down. Only issue was it would have been at a weird angle and you cant change the angle the clamp goes, so I just used a spare gal washer under the clamp head to space it out and change the angle.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Only issue was it would have been at a weird angle and you cant change the angle the clamp goes, so I just used a spare gal washer under the clamp head to space it out and change the angle.
No expert but pretty sure the dt swiss one have a springed handle that you pull out and rotate to change the angle right?....

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I tighten it a few times a day at places like Thredbo. It's definitely the one part of the bike I don't like, so I would love to hear from anyone who has found an easy solution.