VIC 2015 InterWinter Series. 4 races 4 Clubs, May 17 / June 14 / July 12 / Aug 2

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Redesdale Race

I heard a rumour the course is the same as last year.

Hopefully not so cold, or as wet as the year before.

Still it is the Inter WINTER series.

Ddm

Likes Bikes
Redesdale Race??

Sooo... less than a week out and still no info on race? Checked Facebook and there website:noidea: am I looking in wrong place?

akashra

Eats Squid
Have been extremely busy with other things (CX and Enduro nats - sorry people), but hoping to get the info kit finalised tonight.

The event is certainly on - there's an event on the clubs Facebook page. Website is outdated, but the details are basically the same with the exception that the date is Sunday 2nd August, and it's a 10:00am start for A grade (half an hour earlier).

Don't worry about the weather - it was -6C on the drive up last year and was something like 9 degrees by the start and 14 degrees by the end of the race. It hardly felt cold by that point.

A grade is 58km, B grade is 41km, C grade and Women are 24km. Expected race times for the winners are about 3:00, 2:15 and 1:20. I'm leaving it for the TD to decide - as it still may change - how much of the course to alter from last year, but there may be some changes. They'll be significant changes, if it happens.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Have been extremely busy with other things (CX and Enduro nats - sorry people), but hoping to get the info kit finalised tonight.

The event is certainly on - there's an event on the clubs Facebook page. Website is outdated, but the details are basically the same with the exception that the date is Sunday 2nd August, and it's a 10:00am start for A grade (half an hour earlier).
The 2015 rider race kit that was linked from today's email message from Geelong MTB Club mentions an A grade 10:30am start. This should be corrected to 10:00am if Tim's info above still holds.

http://gmbc.com.au/sites/default/files/Mt Lofty Marathon - 2015 Rider race kit.pdf

It isn't clear from the race kit but I'm assuming the red prologue loop is done first clockwise followed by the regular blue loop(s)?

akashra

Eats Squid
The 2015 rider race kit that was linked from today's email message from Geelong MTB Club mentions an A grade 10:30am start. This should be corrected to 10:00am if Tim's info above still holds.

http://gmbc.com.au/sites/default/files/Mt Lofty Marathon - 2015 Rider race kit.pdf

It isn't clear from the race kit but I'm assuming the red prologue loop is done first clockwise followed by the regular blue loop(s)?
Uhm... Yeah I have no idea why that got published, it was a draft sent to GMBC and should not have been published.

You can find the final 2015 document at http://www.clubfgp.com.au/interwinter/2015/ - the corrected rider race kit is at http://www.clubfgp.com.au/interwinter/2015/2015mlm-racekit.pdf

IF we keep the course the same as previous year, yes, it'll be a prologue followed by laps of the regular course. However we are looking at a potential sneaky change that might instead take people the reverse direction up Rocky Horror and Aces and Eights, or coming down the firetrail to then ride Invisible Dozen in the reverse direction. You'll just have to wait and see at the rider race briefing.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Just finishing some discussions over what's right in terms of series rules etc. Few people swapping grades, points favor volunteers a bit more than we hoped/intended so just coming to a decision on what's the right thing to do by the riders.

akashra

Eats Squid
Sorry about the delay. The series points as they were originally had some of us volunteers ending up way at the pointy end of the series, and we just didn't feel it was quite right. There were also a number of other issues with grading - it had to be resolved somewhere between "what's fair" and "well, we published this in the rules earlier, so we can't go changing the rules when we don't like the result". After much discussion, the points below are what's been decided for applying those penalties and rewards.

Series points from the 2015 InterWinter series are now available at http://www.clubfgp.com.au/interwinter/2015/2015-iw-series-points.pdf

Email tim@clubfgp.com.au if there are any queries, concerns, or fixes to be made.

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry about the delay. The series points as they were originally had some of us volunteers ending up way at the pointy end of the series, and we just didn't feel it was quite right. There were also a number of other issues with grading - it had to be resolved somewhere between "what's fair" and "well, we published this in the rules earlier, so we can't go changing the rules when we don't like the result". After much discussion, the points below are what's been decided for applying those penalties and rewards.

Series points from the 2015 InterWinter series are now available at http://www.clubfgp.com.au/interwinter/2015/2015-iw-series-points.pdf

Email tim@clubfgp.com.au if there are any queries, concerns, or fixes to be made.
Bahaha. That's a dogs breakfast. For example, I rode support for my 9yo in round one, and came last, was DQ'd from last race, finished below mid field in the other 2....and came 5th in B? There's problems there, lol.
I'm not blaming you, but there's a problem in the points system.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah... and with the fixes you're now 4th, not 5th.

When I took on doing the series points I didn't set out to come in and change everything (or anything), I decided to keep everything exactly as it was before I took it on. But I also missed a few things in the rulebook, relying more on my memory of previous series than actually reading (oops) - last year it went back to all results counting, and I thought it was best 3 of 4. So it's been updated/corrected so everyones results count. Also, the rules said 100pts for participation, so those who went the wrong way at Redesdale now have 100 points.

We're definitely going to more thoroughly think about the rules before next season starts.

Also, we've already started planning for 2016.

Round 1 looks like remaining in Ballarat for the 3hr.
Round 2 however I've already put together an event plan that will move Round 2 to Redesdale, which will no longer be the Marathon format. Planning something I'm sure everyone will find awesome. Bring mates (no, seriously, you'll have plenty of time/opportunity to ride and chat with mates for this one).
Both rounds 1 and 2 don't need grades.

This will give us two solid events for grading before rounds 3 (Castlemaine) and 4 (a-haaaa...).

Last edited:

Ddm

Likes Bikes
Ahhh yeah they certainly are some interesting results :tsk: no point in going into detail of how F*@&#d up they are,its pretty obvious

What's the plan to fix for next year? (if it runs?) Can I suggest that only riders who compete in all four rounds be eligible for series points, stopping the self graded riders taking all the big points and even up the points of those who are competing for the series not just 1 race eg Castlemaine where I think the top 20 of B grade were self graded and didn't race rnd 1(looking and there times would have been right up there in A grade). This way only the people who make the effort to turn up and race at all 4 events can compete for series

Cheers Dan

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I realize the push is to reward volunteering and entering the full series, but it seems to be a disincentive to non club riders, who are only able to come and ride. Numbers are way down, and I know that's happening across the sport, but you just aren't seeing the top riders coming to the events as much.
Good to see an amendment in the result. Looking at A, they riders who rode all, and did pretty well, have been bumped up to the top.
I would have thought I'd be pushed down, not bumped up a spot in B though. Personally, I did sweet FA for our round, aside from herding cats for the junior race at creswick, so getting full points, when I did 2% of the work or others, is a bit inequitable.

I'm nitpicking though. It's a great series, and I hope that numbers are up for next year, and that the points reflect a better balance between volunteer points and results points. Thanks all, for organizing, running and competing.

akashra

Eats Squid
Ahhh yeah they certainly are some interesting results :tsk: no point in going into detail of how F*@&#d up they are,its pretty obvious

What's the plan to fix for next year? (if it runs?) Can I suggest that only riders who compete in all four rounds be eligible for series points, stopping the self graded riders taking all the big points and even up the points of those who are competing for the series not just 1 race eg Castlemaine where I think the top 20 of B grade were self graded and didn't race rnd 1(looking and there times would have been right up there in A grade). This way only the people who make the effort to turn up and race at all 4 events can compete for series

Cheers Dan
We'll hopefully have two races that act as grading events next year, so that will help.

I'm going to be proposing that any rider who does not do the grading races, and finishes top 5 on debut, will instantly be shifted to the next grade.
I don't think we should limit series prizes to only people who have done four rounds - however we will certainly be looking at a different points scale which will probably address that indirectly anyway. That's my 2c on the matter.

The other important thing is to not make the points system too complex. It needs to be something people can easily understand and replicate themselves.

mrbailey

Likes Bikes

Cheers Dan
+1

I'm going to be proposing that any rider who does not do the grading races, and finishes top 5 on debut, will instantly be shifted to the next grade.
Maybe even top 10? Can next year's gradings also take into account this year's performances?

Hopefully the results will be accurate next year.

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
For the series results for round 1 you've taken the data from the average lap times (which was used for gradings) rather than the amount of laps ridden on the day. That explains some of the errors.

Last edited:

Ddm

Likes Bikes
Thanks to all the volunteers who donated there time to make this series happen, was good fun riding places I hadn't been before and the different formats. Enjoyed it just as much(maybe more!) as those other big expensive events