2015 Norco Range 7.2 Carbon 27.5 - Enduro Work Horse, Upgrades, Overseas Travel

deej

Likes Bikes
image.jpg

I decided to move away from full DH rigs as I really couldn't get full use of them due to location & a lack of shuttles/good accessible tracks in my area.
I wanted something to cover a few types of riding and decided on the Range.

After a no show on the expected date of my Norco Range 7.3 (and a hefty wait time suggested) due to Norco not communicating with my local bike dealer (the awesome guys at Push Bike Shop Pakenham, thanks Matt), an opportunity presented itself for me to grab the 7.2 variant. So I went for it.

Very, very pleased with the result.

Managed a few rides so far, and it's a great bike, i just need to get the suspension settings dialed in and test it out on varying types of terrain.
The bike is light, really easy to throw around and has great overall response and handling.
I will be changing the bars to a 35mm riser as soon as possible, just my personal preference.

FRAMESET

Frame: Range Carbon 650B frame w/160mm travel
Fork: Rockshox Pike RC solo air 160mm 15mm
Rear Shock: Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3

WHEELS

Rims: Sun Helix TR 27 tubelss compatible w/eyelet
Tires: Maxxis High Roller II 650Bx2.30 3C Maxx Terra
Tubes: Tubleless setup
Front Hub: Formula sealed bearing MTB w/disc 15mm axle
Rear Hub: DT 350 alloy w/36T engagement 142x12 XD driver
Spokes/Nipples: DT Champion black stainless steel spokes

DRIVETRAIN

Shifter Rear: SRAM X1 11sp trigger
Shifter Casing: Jagwire LEX housing
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X1 X-Horizontal 11sp long cage
Cassette: SRAM XG 1180 10-42T 11sp
Crankset: SRAM X1 X Sync hollow forged w/30T
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Pressfit BB92
Chain: SRAM PC 1130 11sp
Chain Tensioner: Black Spire Bruiser guard ISCG 05 mount
Pedals: Race Face Aefect

COMPONENTS

Seat Post: Rockshox Reverb Stealth seatpost 30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Volt Race w/chromoly rail
Headset: Cane Creek 40 series tapered (integrated)
Top Cap: Black alloy with Cane Creek logo
Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm stem, 35mm clamp
Handlebar: Race Face Atlas 800x20mm rise, 35mm bulge
Front Brake: SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc w/180mm rotor
Rear Brake: SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc w/180mm rotor
Brake Levers: SRAM Guide RS

Attachments

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice.

+1 for a plug for Matt at Push Bike Shop, bought 2 bikes there recently, great service, great prices.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I am picking up my A7.1 today.
Pretty f$%#In excited.

My mates carbon came in last week with a crack in the lower shock mount.
Beware of over tightening it there.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks amazing, love the new Norco's.

Any reports on how it pedals? And what weight is it?

Hawker180

Squid
Pretty f$%#In excited.

I picked up my A7.1 yesterday as well. Awesome bike but haven't had a proper ride yet.

deej

Likes Bikes
Thanks, just thought i'd throw some info and pics up, I hadn't really seen much on these bikes when I was researching them and most stores didn't have any in stock to look at.

I'd just spent the day riding this was after a clean haha.

Beautiful bike. Looks amazing.
Great photos also.

Only issue it its to clean, go get her dirty

deej

Likes Bikes
Nice.

+1 for a plug for Matt at Push Bike Shop, bought 2 bikes there recently, great service, great prices.
Absolutely, from the first time I called the shop inquiring about bikes I got such a good vibe from him and the rest of the crew, they just love riding and everything about bikes, heaps of enthusiasm, and I think that's important. Other places i'd called didn't really seem as interested and weren't helpful, the guys from TPBS were all over it, heaps of info, helpful, and offered a reduced price straight up without me even asking.

When we ran into issues with Norco not delivering Matt was on the phone to them on and off for 2 days getting things sorted and finding out the source of the problem, he rang me with full apologies and said he'd find me a ride asap, he didn't want me waiting until the "possible" late February shipment. So it was a possible demo version of the 7.2 or a new one for a reduced price for my trouble. Worked out awesome!

Pimpin'
I'm thinking to a carbon - worth it?
Yeah for sure, lightweight, durable, feels super sturdy too.

Looks amazing, love the new Norco's.

Any reports on how it pedals? And what weight is it?
B Rabbit, it pedals really well, very very smooth, good power to the ground, climbs well too.
I'm not used to this style of riding and I haven't had a XC or anything that was designed for climbing so i can't really compare it.
Matt from the Push Bike Shop Pakenham loves his Range Carbon, his only comment was that you don't climb as well when it's really steep due to the 160mm travel up front.
Considering you have the option to 'lock' the front and rear suspension for different scenarios I think its great.

I picked up my A7.1 yesterday as well. Awesome bike but haven't had a proper ride yet.
Sweet. Let us know how you go, get some pics up :)

Awesome bike mate! glad your happy! not many of them coming into the country this year :( lucky to have got one!
Thank you, yeah i'm pretty pumped for it, sure its not quite as tough as a full DH rig haha, but I think its going to cover me for all bases and i'm going to have an ripping good time on it.

Pretty f$%#In excited.

Cheers Ducky, i'll keep an eye on it.
Let us know how you go with yours.

Last edited:

deej

Likes Bikes
What Size did you end up getting?

Agreed, Matt from Push Bike Shop is Awesome!!!
Frame size is a Large, i'm right on 6', around 80kgs, i've got about 85-90psi in the forks, and 220psi in the Shock, sits well at the moment, still dialling things in, had the new Race Face 35mm Riser bars arrive, so i'll be cleaning it up and setting those up tomorrow and then adding some Frameskin sheets to the forks and some temporary ones (from a blank sheet) to the frame until the people over Frameskin have designed a kit for the Range.