2016 Highland Fling - Sunday 13 November

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the atmosphere in town the afternoon before. Going to be the first one I've missed in 5 years which sucks, but certainly aiming to be fit for next year

stirk

Burner
I'll be there again for the half fling. Great vibe and a fun yet tough ride.

I'm definitely stopping for a beer before the finish line this year!

stirk

Burner
Dang, next year. Always wanted to give the Fling a fling
Twas great fun! Always a good vibe as op said.

Cramps were not fun after 40km with much walking after that to stretch it out, it's a tough course, lots of hills, long grass, grass sucks. Must train more for next year!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cramps do suck hard. There is not much more painful when you are riding. I have some magnesium tablets in my backpack somewhere, just in case. They are rumored to help.

I hope it wasn't a hot n' windy one.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
great weekend again....probably should have trained a bit for it so I wouldn't have felt so shitfaced today...

hot and windy conditions...

numbers were noticeably down again this year....

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
Windy with a side order of hot!

A tough day on the bike for sure.

Smashed my rear dr half way through stage 2. While bike was still rideable, I couldn’t get to the bottom 4 gears, which were pretty much the only ones I was using 90% of the time!

Still, managed to limp into transition 2 where one of the Shimano mechanics managed to get it semi-functional again, giving me all but the lowest gear, and which was enough to make it through stage 3.

Bloody hell did the finish line beer taste good!

Despite the dramas, I managed to take an hour off my PB, which is more a reflection of how slow I’ve been in the past rather than being quick in any way now.

As ever, a brilliant weekend put on by Wild Horizons.

Will be back for more punishment next year…

I cut the boy loose this year, he came in 9 mins before me for the some fling. We had a blast, its such a well run event, this will be our regular mtb event from now on, with the sat night camping.

Patio

Likes Bikes
Good to hear your reports re the Fling. I volunteer for this event and usually hang out all day around Wingello SF trying to help things run smoothly. Apparently the overall number of riders was similar to last year with a bit of a shift from the Half to the Some. Maybe more people doing like SJs Pancreas and Son?

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I cut the boy loose this year, he came in 9 mins before me for the some fling. We had a blast, its such a well run event, this will be our regular mtb event from now on, with the sat night camping.
How great is that?

I have a mate who also rode the Some with his son. They had a great time.

Hoping my own little guy can get strong enough for us to ride it together in 2017 (also a nice excuse for me not to have to kill myself on the Full again hehe).