2016 Kowalski Classic 18th Sept

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm doing the full, I am not that optimistic to be honest. Really hope it goes ahead or is rescheduled to a date I can make it.

Such a good event.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
https://selfpropelled.com.au/event/kowalski-classic/the-race/

So, who's going this year? I'm doing the half for the 4th time - hopefully, if it isn't cancelled.

Better still, who lives down that way, to give us some weather and trail conditions updates later this week.
Canberra is saturated at the moment, seriously the wettest I have ever seen it. 20-30mm forecast tomorrow and drying conditions this time of the year are basically non-existent. I'm betting my left nut it's postponed.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in for the 50.

Only live 1hr 40 away so will travel on the day. I am hoping if its postponed it will be a date I can make because i love the all round atmosphere of it... Favorite race of the year by a long shot

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yep, it'll be a miracle if it goes ahead this weekend. There's potentially over 60mm to fall this week, including on race day. Lots of stuff on the Sparrow Hill side too, which doesn't drain as well as the Kowen side. Like slimjim said, nothing is drying out at all - areas around my place still have water leeching out of the soil a week after the last decent rain. Trees are still coming down around the place even though it's not been windy, the ground's just so soft. About the only riding option around here is Bruce, it drains really well.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
thanks for the info - it certainly sets my expectations.

if the locals could report back on conditions later in the week, that would be great.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
The organisers are making a call on whether it goes ahead tomorrow afternoon, so you'll know what the deal is well before the weekend.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
LOL

Was not expecting that call. The photos on Kowalski FB page looked alright but I reckon there will be a lot of bog in there still come race day.
Wasn't really expecting it either. We didn't have as much rain today as forecast, and the forecast for the rest of the week isn't too bad, but the trails are going to be really soft. It was only last weekend when the Kowalski's reposted a 'if your tyres leave a rut, it's too wet to ride' notice. There's gonna be a looooot of ruts after this weekend.

lincolnsydney

Likes Dirt
Yeah, what a shame.

How wet is it down there? Eg, is Stromlo still rideable? Just thinking social ride now instead, considering i've now booked accommodation based on the no camping comm last night.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yeah, what a shame.

How wet is it down there? Eg, is Stromlo still rideable? Just thinking social ride now instead, considering i've now booked accommodation based on the no camping comm last night.
Stromlo will probably be ok in parts, and very wet in others, especially out the back. Stromlo don't really seem to do too much about trying to keep people off the trails in the wet, so the trails have probably been pretty chopped up by now.

Bruce is definitely your best bet. It's got a much more gravelly surface, and drains really well. There'll be the odd puddle around, but it never seems to get waterlogged like other places do.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Yeah, what a shame.

I've pretty much only been riding gravelly fire roads and tarmac the last 2 months trying to stay dry so cant really comment on Stromlo etc. Spoken to a few people who have said it's not looking too good. Majura looks terrible in the pics I've seen.

I've ridden Bruce once and Jerra once over the last couple months, both drain well and would be the only singletrack options I'd consider now, but other people who enjoy trashed trails and cleaning their bike may differ.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
take 2

ok, let's try this again.

how's the weather down in canberra/queanbeyan been lately?

has the ground dried out a bit over the last few weeks?

i see there's a few mm forecast for next week. hopefully the event can go ahead....