2016 Kowalski Classic 18th Sept

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Couple of windy,warmish days but the ground still seems very wet to me after more rain we had earlier this week.

Because of the soft ground+wind I imagine falling trees are a big problem out at Kowen+Sparrow now too.

Maj has been closed until november and in the photos I've seen there are trees down everywhere.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Yep, sooo many trees down around Canberra. A storm earlier in the week knocked down 30 or so trees just at Aranda oval, but I don't think that hit Kowen as hard.

I imagine the Kowalski's will be out there all weekend assessing things and cleaning up. Weather wise the next week looks ok - rain predicted has only a low chance at the moment, so if we get away with a dry week with a few warmer days things are looking up. As always though, the biggest barrier to overcome will be access to the race HQ. They'll need to get trucks in there to set up toilets, marquees etc, and then have it be able to handle parking without trashing the paddocks.

I've never seen Canberra this wet, it's just ridiculous. Fingers crossed though!

Edit - it's meant to be 18 today, it's already been over that, and is a ridiculously nice day. Couple more days like this and there will be no problems next weekend. If it's anything like this come race day it's gonna be a cracker!

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I had a look using segment explorer on Strava - really looks like people have been staying away, only 39 people have logged a ride on Creek Run this month! Found a comment by a guy who rode the entire Sparrow side of the course yesterday:

Pretty good actually - I mean, there's a few mud bogs that will swallow you and your bike, but they're only 2 or 3 metres long. Should be fine for the Kowlaski (we'll still get covered in mud though)

So things are looking up. No rain between now and Sunday, and the forecast for race day is 23 and sunny, after 21 and sunny on Saturday. If that forecast stays the same, it'll be a cracker on race day! The Kowalski's may actually be able to unpucker soon - the past month or two would have been very stressful I'm sure.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
i had a look at the race schedule, and the half kowalski doesn't start until 9:10am. I can't remember what time it started in recent years, but seems later than i recollect.

i also notice that race-day rego is open until 9:30am. is that a typo? the last waves (the QTR distance) starts at 9:30 (with compulsory briefing before that), so i don't know how that works.

i am now considering driving down on the day.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I think the 1/2 and 1/4 start has been pushed back a touch. I had a look at the time I started the 1/4 last year, and it was 9.24am. I wasn't in one of the first waves in that either. There was a separate briefing for 1/4 Kowalski riders in the schedule I'd thought - now 1/2 and 1/4 briefing is at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if they're anticipating some parking issues if parts of the paddock are too wet to use, so might be trying to allow for that when the bulk of the riders are trying to get to the start.

Rego being open to 9.30am doesn't surprise me either, they're just ticking off your name and handing over your plates and stuff, your details are already in the system. No real reason to close it earlier.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
What a great day! Yep, a few boggy areas, but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. It was amazing riding around the trails, seeing just how many trees had been cleared away.

Luckily no more came down, 'cause it was windy as hell all day. The inflatable start/finish arch was an early casualty, chairs and bins were going everywhere, and it feels like my face has been sand blasted.

Highlight of the day - slogging up Big Wednesday (a trail that was built with only going downhill in mind) and having to stop to let an echidna clear the trail. Might have been messy if we were heading down...

So glad the Kowalski's caught a break. Pretty sure they're breathing a big sigh of relief right about now.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy moly that was a big day out. 2nd 50km was absolutely brutal, my Garmin said the one hill has a 28% grade. Mind you I was walking by then.

Hugely fun day out, trails were ripper. I feel like a 90 year old this morning. Need more coffee

markusm

Likes Bikes
Had an absolute blast

Something came up which meant I couldn't attend the earlier date so I gave my entry away to a mate but then he couldn't make the new date and I was able to so the weather gods shone on me.

This was my first Kowalski event and these guys do a great job, the track was awesome, they obviously have a great crew that spend a lot of time on those trails. The whole event was great. Cant wait for next years one.