2017 remedy 9 or 2018 remedy 8 ?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Thinking of upgrading my 2016 remedy 9 ,

And have the choice of these two bikes ,

From what I can gather same geometry, spec levels vary ,

2017 about $600 cheaper , I guess the important part , which one is the better bike ?

Thought there might be some remedy fans here that may have already done some research?

Any advice appreciated, cheers

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nobody got any comments?

I'm also contemplating the 2017 8 vs 2018 7 models - leaning towards more bang for buck with the older model.

Z

Zaf

Go the 2017, the Thru-Shaft's shock that is common to the Remedy and Slash have been reporting several reliability issues and is seemingly the only major change between the two editions. Cheaper, and a better package.

Remedy 8 is a decent bike, peddles really well and suspension is nice.

Remedy 8 does not have the new thru shaft shock. Only top spec models do.

Reactions: Zaf

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that ,

I havent made a decision yet,

I actually own a 2016 remedy 9 , and was considering upgrading , so have the option of sitting it out for a while and wait until the 2018 stock gets a bit cheaper ,

But I have found a few 2017 9.8s going at a reasonable price that have got me thinking , bit more than i intended to spend

Only have the 150mm Pike on though , same as my current bike ,but apparently its pretty easy to change up to 160mm

And are running a 2x11 Drivetrain ( bit odd ) so that would probably need to be changed , rest is full XT spec ,

But to get onto a carbon frame under $5,000 might be a nice bonus

Z

Zaf

Remedy 8 is a decent bike, peddles really well and suspension is nice.

Remedy 8 does not have the new thru shaft shock. Only top spec models do.
Good point!! I was thinking the 9.8 and 9.9's but he was quite clearly not referencing those models.

Don't forget to throw your BUPA card at the sale for the extra 15% discount, makes a big difference on full bike purchases.
If your not married to the idea of a Trek, if I were in market for an alloy 650b 140-160mm bike, I'd be giving the Commencal Meta's (AM or TR depending) a serious look for the price as well, especially now that Pushy's handle them stateside.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2018 Remedy 8 owner here, I think it's a really good package, feels very balanced. I had a 2014 Remedy 8 previously and the new bike is a huge step up, descends and handles well, climbing is not compromised. Would recommend.

As others have stated it doesn't have the through shaft rear shock - does it matter? Who knows., I don't really care.

Used the 15% BUPA discount too, happy days.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I ended up getting a 2017 Remedy 9.8 for the same price as the 2018 8 ,

it was tough call , same geometry , they kept that the same for 17-18

the 8 has the Lyric and the Eagle ( better )

the 9.8 has the pike and 2x11 shimano that I will convert , but it is a carbon frame ,

in the end the temptation to try carbon ( never owned it before ) won me over

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ended up getting a 2017 Remedy 9.8 for the same price as the 2018 8 ,

it was tough call , same geometry , they kept that the same for 17-18

the 8 has the Lyric and the Eagle ( better )

the 9.8 has the pike and 2x11 shimano that I will convert , but it is a carbon frame ,

in the end the temptation to try carbon ( never owned it before ) won me over
Nice one! Conversion to 1 x is easy...get a chainguide for extra security the the NW chainring!