2017 Trek Fuel EX 29 vs 2017 Giant Anthem 2

Ivan

Eats Squid
Oh I didn't say it was an actual thing, just something I have stuck in my mind! Have ridden a couple of 27.5 bikes that have been more trail orientated and they weren't anywhere as good at rolling over stuff as my 29er brick

They went around a corner better though...
Hey Swaz,

The '16 and '17 Fuel is a significantly different bike to the '14. Significantly shorter chainstays (one of the secrets to a good 29er), slacker Head Angle, ReActiv shock and stiffer frames. They corner great.

[video=youtube;zdoSf_inmYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdoSf_inmYw[/video]

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Swaz,

The '16 and '17 Fuel is a significantly different bike to the '14. Significantly shorter chainstays (one of the secrets to a good 29er), slacker Head Angle, ReActiv shock and stiffer frames. They corner great.

[video=youtube;zdoSf_inmYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdoSf_inmYw[/video]
That's the 2016 one, still the same geo as my '14 model.

If you compare the geo and stats, as I have, between the Giant Anthem and the Fuel EX the Giant is shorter and cheaper and less enduro than the Fuel. If that is what one is after.

Trek have ditched Reactiv yes?

Ivan

Eats Squid
That's the 2016 one, still the same geo as my '14 model.

If you compare the geo and stats, as I have, between the Giant Anthem and the Fuel EX the Giant is shorter and cheaper and less enduro than the Fuel. If that is what one is after.

Trek have ditched Reactiv yes?
Hi Swaz,

I am not sure where you've got your information from, but the 2016 was the major redesign of the Fuel Ex, making the changes I mentioned above. 16mm shorter chainstays (452 vs 436), stiffer frames, longer reach's, Boost fork and Chainstay etc. The 2017 model has a redesign of the front triangle from 2016 to incorporate the straight downtube, and 10mm extra travel in the rear.

ReAktive was introduced in 2015 and is still on the current model Fuel, Remedy and Top Fuel.

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Swaz,

I am not sure where you've got your information from, but the 2016 was the major redesign of the Fuel Ex, making the changes I mentioned above. ~15mm shorter chainstays, stiffer frames, longer reach's, Boost fork and Chainstay etc. The 2017 model has a redesign of the front triangle from 2016 to incorporate the straight downtube, and 10mm extra travel in the rear.

ReAktive was introduced in 2015 and is still on the current model Fuel, Remedy and Top Fuel.
Ah yes, my bad, you're right.

You must sell Treks!

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ridden both and they are different bikes,
Test ride them, I would go a 2016 EX9 (or up) over either.. but alas nolonger an option
I dont really fancy the 2017 changes I recon they made it to aggressive and heavy for a trail bike.

Currently riding a new Anthem advanced because I wanted to play with some of the new technology in them (new rocker and trunion/metric shocks) Its about as gooder Giant as I have ridden, Its a shame they couldn't that wasnt also a boat.
the 27.5 thing is a farce. its the anthem as a "XC" bike as 4mm shorter stays than a Fuel EX which is a more "trail"/"AM" bike

A good bike respective of the wheel size is a good bike, thats to say a frame will make the wheel work not vice versa.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Test ride them, I would go a 2016 EX9 (or up) over either.. but alas nolonger an option
I dont really fancy the 2017 changes I recon they made it to aggressive and heavy for a trail bike.

Currently riding a new Anthem advanced because I wanted to play with some of the new technology in them (new rocker and trunion/metric shocks) Its about as gooder Giant as I have ridden, Its a shame they couldn't that wasnt also a boat.
the 27.5 thing is a farce. its the anthem as a "XC" bike as 4mm shorter stays than a Fuel EX which is a more "trail"/"AM" bike

A good bike respective of the wheel size is a good bike, thats to say a frame will make the wheel work not vice versa.
I agree 100% with what you've said...thanks for the honest feedback on your anthem too.

Giant really need to pull their finger out and bring out a decent FS 29er.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interested to know why you would go the '16 model? Just because of the boat anchor factor?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Looking at bikes in this genre and price range myself here are some of the prices of Treks with carbon wheels v's the Anthem with stock carbon wheels:
Trek Fuel EX 8 rrp$4299 + $1300 for some TWE carbon wheels = $5600
Trek Fuel EX 9 rrp $5200 + $1300 for some TWE carbon wheels = $6600

Giant Anthem 1 rrp $5000 + $1300 for some TWE carbon wheels = $6300
Giant Anthem Advance 1 rrp $5500 no need for carbon wheels because it already has them, oh and a carbon frame! Plus performance 34 forks.

the bargain is the 2016 Anthem Advance which is going for $4k at some places, still!

My mind is stuck on the 29er being able to roll over things better though...
But you can always sell the wheels that came on the bike - need to take that into account.

And no one pays RRP.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interested to know why you would go the '16 model? Just because of the boat anchor factor?
Travel and geo changes, spec changes etc i dont think it needs a straight down tube and knock block probably more suited to remedy/slash. My 16 was light playful and fun. The 17 is certainly a more capable descender but when you live near anglesea/forrest/youyangs there arent really any proper descents that suit the new bike.
I spose its just the 16 was far more suited to local terrain.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But you can always sell the wheels that came on the bike - need to take that into account.

And no one pays RRP.
Not much of a market for Bonty wheels. You might get $200 a set for them, $300 if you're in the city.

danimal

Squid
Travel and geo changes, spec changes etc i dont think it needs a straight down tube and knock block probably more suited to remedy/slash. My 16 was light playful and fun. The 17 is certainly a more capable descender but when you live near anglesea/forrest/youyangs there arent really any proper descents that suit the new bike.
I spose its just the 16 was far more suited to local terrain.
that's the feeling i had around brisbane trails as well. in my original post i didn't mention that i demoed the '15 EX also. it was so so. waited for the 16 because of all the revisions - it was better. found the 17 to be a dog around pedally up and down trails. it really is suited to descending - it is similar to last year's remedy which is too much bike for brisbane IMHO unless going to dedicated descending areas like mt joyce regularly.

too the OP, don't get sucked in by all the marketing speak and reviews where they say something pedals really well. what they neglect to tell you is it pedals crap in comparison to something designed to do that. if your day is spent pedalling a lot or you want to be fast over flat and ups as well as downs you have to pick the machine designed for that. if you're just coming off hardtails any dual suspension (obviously from a reputable brand) will have you enjoying life.

i agree with other posters who have mentioned them though, take a look at the trek top fuel and the giant anthem 29er as well. but make sure you get to test them properly on trails as parking lot rides tell you nothing. giant have a dedicated demo site now where you can book in demo rides from dealers (different to the demo days they run). also maybe check out the specialized epic and camber but i don't think the prices are as competitive as trek or giant in particular.

i ride with guys who ride dedicated XC dualies and they (not me) destroy everyone on the trails no matter what others are riding. ride more, get better, get fitter and the bike is a small factor in the overall equation. make sure you get a bike suited to your terrain and style. that way you'll want to ride it more, that's the important thing.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Interesting reading your guys reviews of the 17 EX Fuel , I have a 14 EX 9 , been happy with that bike , was thinking of getting one of the new ones later in the year , now im re thinking that ,

I have a 16 Remedy 27.5 which is already an enough of an aggressive bike for me , I like having the two contrasting options to ride. but if the new Fuel is heading in the same direction , might be too much of the same

notime

Likes Dirt
Last Friday I picked up a new Fuel Ex 9.9, I took is straight out and raced the National XCO rounds 1 and 2 at Orange.

I also was very keen on the alloy 2016 after some very good demo rides at Thredbo, Jindy and on a few home trails. I didn't like the yellow colour and at the end of the day Trek didn't have any XL's anyway so held out for the 17 models.

I ended up on the 9.9 to get a respectable weight so it wasn't a chore peddling on long rides and climbs, XX1 Eagle also helps. My XL bike out of the box with Fat Paws, cage, pedals and frame tape came in at 11.8kg. That's with the 2.4 tyres so if I really wanted to put it more into XC trim I could drop it with tyre options and getting rid of the dropper.

For a 130mm trail orientated bike its a big change from the hardtails I normally ride. Basically it's early days but it's bloody awesome, it really climbs well and this was my only major concern. Once I got the pressure and rebound correct the bike feels beautiful, I'm not even close to getting to the bikes cornering and downhill potential but long technical rocky climbs it just excels.

The only advice I can give is doing proper demo's. Take a shock pump and the time to setup the bike properly, my decision was based on a lot of demo rides on both the 16 and 17 alloy versions and other bikes in it's class that I was interested in.

A mate has the new Anthem, Fox 34's, XT group and the carbon wheels. He also rode XC nats on it, launched some big doubles on the play track before the 1st days racing and rode the pants off it both days. From what he is doing with it, the bike is incredibly capable and if it wasn't that I like the 29er wheels under my big frame I would have considered one as well.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to hear that the 17 Ex climbs well. A friend of mine has the 9.9 too and loves it but came from a 9.8 MY16 Remedy so this will frame his view somewhat. Hearing it from a HT riding racer is encouraging.

I don't think you can go wrong on either bike. I love my Fuel, and since adding the 140mm fork it's even better.