2017 world cup discussion

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The mens was good too, what shit house conditions at the end.
It would have been the best downhill race ever if it was wet the whole time. The lines after the first turns and coming into the wall looked completely out of control, huge props to those guys for hanging onto it.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What I'm saying is this sort of talk needs to be avoided before it becomes a thing or it will take the shine off the guys riding.
The noises are the same as when we had a similar increase in wheel size not so long ago....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Yeah I agree. There needs to be some kind of basic standards. If you rocked up to a 20" race on a cruiser, you'd be DNS.
Also don't turn up in lyrca, that's a DQS on the spot, because someone decided pajamas looked more professional and skin suits were faster... a lot like changing wheel sizes has been.

At this stage I am for some standards, might stop the planned obsolescence that seems so common, whether that standard is wheel size, axle width... what the hell, production only frames... standards work for every other sport.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The noises are the same as when we had a similar increase in wheel size not so long ago....
Absolutely, it drove me crazy back then too. There was a great article on another forum saying all the things that seemed so true about product development and progression and making things quicker. The crux of it was that nah, wheel size isn't something that needs changing and referred to tons of science behind it. It was almost an argument that you could not overlook or argue back to as it was almost conclusive in stating that it is purely, one hundred percent a topic driven to produce a line of parts and fittings for people to buy; a marketing ploy.
Downhill doesn't need changing right now. Bigger wheels isn't progression, guys pushing each other to the edge is progression. Courses like Hardline are progression.

Boom King

Absolutely, it drove me crazy back then too. There was a great article on another forum saying all the things that seemed so true about product development and progression and making things quicker. The crux of it was that nah, wheel size isn't something that needs changing and referred to tons of science behind it. It was almost an argument that you could not overlook or argue back to as it was almost conclusive in stating that it is purely, one hundred percent a topic driven to produce a line of parts and fittings for people to buy; a marketing ploy.
Downhill doesn't need changing right now. Bigger wheels isn't progression, guys pushing each other to the edge is progression. Courses like Hardline are progression.
Probably right. Let's see if the Syndicate starts winning everything? If they do, others are bound to follow. If not, let's see how many develop 29er DH rigs?

From what I've seen, a new wheel size doesn't necessarily make someone buy a new bike. All that's really needed is a new model year.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I guess the folks hating change are all still using a 486 and a VHS video recorder. It's a bit before my time but there was a huge uproar when they let Tour de France riders use a derailleur.

I want to see competitors going down the sides of big hill as fast as they can. I want to see them do the things that I don't have the cohunas for. If 29" wheels are going to put on a show then I'm all for it. Technology moves forward, things get better/faster/lighter/stronger whatever and no one is forcing you to change so why whinge?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
no one is forcing you to change so why whinge?
Straw man argument, I can't get a decent 1/18th fork for a very nice turner frame I have hanging up, none of the major manufacturers sell a 1/18th CSU aftermarket to adapt a tapered fork.

Planned obsolescence ensures your are forced to change (spend money), Brendon Fairclough had the most interesting thing to say about 29'er DH's, something along the lines of once everyone is on one there is no advantage, and the tracks 3 seconds faster, nothing changes other than expense.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Progression would be to get rid of derailleurs in favour of gear boxes. But I wont hold my breath.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
They need to make a worthy gear box first, I guess.

* flashbacks to minaar on an ugly-as-sin Honda...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Straw man argument, I can't get a decent 1/18th fork for a very nice turner frame I have hanging up, none of the major manufacturers sell a 1/18th CSU aftermarket to adapt a tapered fork.

Planned obsolescence ensures your are forced to change (spend money), Brendon Fairclough had the most interesting thing to say about 29'er DH's, something along the lines of once everyone is on one there is no advantage, and the tracks 3 seconds faster, nothing changes other than expense.
Yeah, and the parts on my Bommadore won't fit on a Kingswood. Maybe we should all be driving a Model T so that the parts can all be shared. I agree planned obsolescence is a pain in the arse but sometimes changes are simply progress.

Boom King

A) I'm not sure tapered steerers were a result of planned obsolescence

and

2) If 29" wheels are indeed faster in DH, there is no issue. The aim of DH competition is to be the fastest, so every team is always aiming to find time however they can.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If 29" wheels are going to put on a show then I'm all for it. Technology moves forward, things get better/faster/lighter/stronger whatever and no one is forcing you to change so why whinge?
I thought one of the selling points of 29 was its ability to roll over shit?

How is this putting on a show? It'll just make the riders lazy, the juniors coming through won't have the skills the elite have now, because there'll be no need to develop them to the nth degree. DH will become F1, ain't nobody got time for that.

Progress will be when uptake of the polarizer really kicks in on bikes.

Im pretty sure the 29 thing is pure marketing, one thing the syndicate team is good at, no matter how they're performing on the hill, is getting punters talking about them, and getting their sponsors' brands in the frame. And it's working already. Would not be surprised if they're back on one of the other two sizes before the season is half done.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.

indica

Serial flasher
How is this putting on a show? It'll just make the riders lazy, the juniors coming through won't have the skills the elite have now, because there'll be no need to develop them to the nth degree. .
Bollocks. It is a wheel size. Doesn't make that much difference, that track was so nuts skill is where it is at. NOT wheel size.

ajay

They need to make a worthy gear box first, I guess.

* flashbacks to minaar on an ugly-as-sin Honda...
No one could beat it though!

You're right, but instead of reinventing the wheel to drive the sales train, had they put some more time into a gearbox, we'd have them already!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
No one could beat it though!

You're right, but instead of reinventing the wheel to drive the sales train, had they put some more time into a gearbox, we'd have them already!
Believe it or not, inside the Honda gearbox was basically the same drive train we use now, just a smaller version of it. It has a cassette, a derailleur, a chain and chain ring and isn't anything too fancy. Thing is, we'll forever be using derailleurs, chains, chain rings, chain guides, cassettes etc simply because they are easy to destroy, cheap to build and expensive to buy. Chucking a gearbox on a bike would totally punish the sales of components.
On the Honda thing, I am led to believe that all those frames were disassembled and melted, deeming them non existent now.

ajay

Believe it or not, inside the Honda gearbox was basically the same drive train we use now, just a smaller version of it. It has a cassette, a derailleur, a chain and chain ring and isn't anything too fancy. Thing is, we'll forever be using derailleurs, chains, chain rings, chain guides, cassettes etc simply because they are easy to destroy, cheap to build and expensive to buy. Chucking a gearbox on a bike would totally punish the sales of components.
On the Honda thing, I am led to believe that all those frames were disassembled and melted, deeming them non existent now.
Of course, all mechanical drive systems are based off the same principals of mechanical advantage. But what your saying is also my point, we favour a sales driven model over a progression driven model.

The number of rear mechs destroyed on seemingly innocuous terrain is nuts, we should be further along the line by now!

I think you're correct re Honda, but wasn't one stolen along the way?

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Wow, I went a-googling you're not wrong, so cool

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/8166/

moorey

call me Mia
+14
[h=5]
jonesym3 (Jan 20, 2008 at 9:17)[/h]thats awesome - i don't know what i thought was going to be in there but i didnt think it would be so simple. gearbox bikes will be the norm in like 5 years time for sure
Nailed it....

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I thought one of the selling points of 29 was its ability to roll over shit?

How is this putting on a show? It'll just make the riders lazy, the juniors coming through won't have the skills the elite have now, because there'll be no need to develop them to the nth degree. DH will become F1, ain't nobody got time for that.

Progress will be when uptake of the polarizer really kicks in on bikes.

Im pretty sure the 29 thing is pure marketing, one thing the syndicate team is good at, no matter how they're performing on the hill, is getting punters talking about them, and getting their sponsors' brands in the frame. And it's working already. Would not be surprised if they're back on one of the other two sizes before the season is half done.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.
They all want to win. Winning will still require pushing it to the absolute limits in terms of skill. **If** there's an advantage to 29 inch wheels other riders will switch over which will level the playing field again. 29 inch wheels wont allow some riders to just slack off and rely on the equipment to win.

Of course it's also a good way to sell shit to weekend warriors who don't need it...but so was 650B, the wheel size which allowed manufacturers (one in particular) to obsolete 26 inch bikes without investing the time and money it takes to develop a half decent 29er.