2018 Commencal Supreme V4.2 Air Sock conversion - Help needed

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

Just after some help with shock fitment. I've got a mate who's just picked up a 2018 Supreme V4.2 with a coil shock and has also bought a Super Deluxe Air to put on the bike. The air shock is a 250mm x 75mm and according to the Commencal website it is the right length etc. However, the eye to eye on it is around 10mm shorter than the coil shock currently on the bike.

Has anyone changed from the coil to air before?

Do we need different linkages or mounting hardware?

or can we just fit the air shock even though it's a little shorter?

help would be greatly appreciated

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is there any air in the shock? Try pumping it up a bit, it should extend a little.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
Have you contacted Commencal Aus and got their feedback?
I spoke with them 2 weeks ago and they assured me it was a straight fit, however their English was a little broken and I'd rather double check it with someone who has actually done it firstly to ensure it's done properly

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
These are my two 250 eye to eye shocks for reference if its of any help.

Was the air shock secondhand?
Yeah it is/was secondhand. Measured it up, the original shock on the bike is a 267x89, however commercial AUS still claim the air is fine, though the guy I spoke to has never actually fitted one so I'd rather speak to someone who has

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Commencal said the 250x75 shock is fine or that using an air shock is fine? I find it strange if they said the 250 is fine.

99/100 times, bikes shouldn't run a different eye to eye shock. Theres the odd ones out there that might be able to but its quite rare.

Edit:

Looks like the 27.5 version is 267x89 and 29er is 250x75

Last edited:

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
Commencal said the 250x75 shock is fine or that using an air shock is fine? I find it strange if they said the 250 is fine.

99/100 times, bikes shouldn't run a different eye to eye shock. Theres the odd ones out there that might be able to but its quite rare.

View attachment 363299

Edit:
View attachment 363300

Looks like the 27.5 version is 267x89 and 29er is 250x75
They said the 250 x 75 was fine, however I'm pretty sure the guy who I spoke to had no knowledge of DH bikes (let alone the V4.2) despite working for the company that sold them

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
They said the 250 x 75 was fine, however I'm pretty sure the guy who I spoke to had no knowledge of DH bikes (let alone the V4.2) despite working for the company that sold them
I imagine if you ran the 250x75 then the bike would be sitting at ~10% travel at full extension and bottom out will be ~5% less getting you just under 200mm of travel. So like cycling between 10%-95% of what the frame was designed for on that wheel size if that makes sense?

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
I imagine if you ran the 250x75 then the bike would be sitting at ~10% travel at full extension and bottom out will be ~5% less getting you just under 200mm of travel. So like cycling between 10%-95% of what the frame was designed for on that wheel size if that makes sense?
Yeah it's definitely a no go fitting it without either a different linkage designed for that stroke shock