2018 Ibis Ripmo

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The Parts

Whilst cost wasn’t absolutely critical, I vowed to build this with respect but not let it get out of hand.

My mate has a 2012(?) Trek Remedy that is already upgraded some parts on, so where it made sense, they’ll come across.

He ended up deciding on orange Hope stem & OneUp/BCR bike storage. Pics of all to follow:

Parts list:

Some sweet ChiTi caliper bolts:

CRC XT M8000 bootie:

Parts received so far:

Still to come includes pedals, stem, mudguard & a few bits & bobs. As discussed elsewhere, this non-substitutable group non-Boost crankset will likely not work so it’ll be sold on & Boost acquired.

Hope stem:

Pedals & other sundries:

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Frame/Fork

The frame/fork/shock/wheels are courtesy of @beeb - I was waiting for something just like this for months so I could convince my mate to go with it. Didn’t know if he would stretch this far but he did!

As we are in Sydney & the frame in Melbourne, shipping was always going to be somewhat annoying. It made a cross metro trip, then off to Eildon (another good mate) to get it ready for interstate shipping, now it’s back in Melbourne for e-go depot-to-depot shipping next week:

Still haven’t seen it, aside from @beeb’s sale thread! Hope it’s ok

(Update 18/9) The wheel & fork box has arrived, but the frame box is still MIA

Anyway here are some sweet sweet photos:

The tyres are srsbznz:

Loving the wheels - first I’ve heard about Fratelli Industries, need to do more research. Apparently Danny McAskill uses(d) their services.

http://southernwheelworks.com/2017/04/07/spank-oozy-trail-345-rims/

This is the only sticker on the rim – all other graphics are laser etched. Fratelli Industries is the factory that produces the Spank rims. Spank and Fratelli are owned by the same gentleman, with Fratelli manufacturing for other companies and Spank being his own brand.

I’m going to go over both wheels with a Park Tools spoke tension gauge & use Park Tools neat new app to log the numbers:

https://www.parktool.com/wta

I’ll probably revisit all my wheels with this app. Well, aside from the Rovals on the TBc as those nipples are FUBAR.

Couple more photos:

Frame arrived!

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Build Process

As can be seen above, the build has started

Discs mounted - and the torque wrench will remain on the bench until all is completed. I’ve vowed to use it for every fastener this time:

Jumping ahead a bit, wheel building drawer, stand sits on that platform on the RHS:

Ok - now the frame is here it's time to answer the question: Does a non-Boost crankset work?

The answer is - 32t ring, no. 30t ring, well...yeah. But the clearances are not massive. But enough:

That's a random Hope 30t ring I had lying about, can't attach it as not 94-bcd-weird-Shimano-layout.

After receiving Ibis' go ahead, I got my mate to pick up a Shimano 30t ring from our LBS (Mitch at Sutherland) who only took from Thurs arvo (when I called) to midday Fri to source it from Shimano Oz. Nice living so close to their Taren Point headquarters.

These three pics show:
(1) Suspension overextended (shock disconnected)
(2) Suspension fully compressed
(3) Shock installed/extended

So...cranks out & everything torqued to spec:

My go-to assembly grease is Castrol boating grease. I know I'm not alone on this...had this tub for probably over ten years:

Additionally, a couple of wraps of Teflon tape...just enough to get the threads almost-too-hand-tight:

This plastic BB adaptor ring thing almost feels sacrificial. So tight inside the Shimano BB tool (plastic mallet saw to it)...and the same on the BB itself. A whack & it's in place, but for Shimano it seems rather crude:

I added a little frame protection where the Invisiframe kit didn't quite cut it:

And that's the cranks done. Decided not to fit the chainguide adaptor thing now as we didn't buy a chainguide & not pressfit...so easy to fit later:

The build progresses. Torqued & Locktited the pivots & shock points:

Pulled the bars off the Trek, bit of anti slip & grease on the bolts:

Preliminary fit - man it feels good! It’s an XL but feels like a good large:

He’s the same height as me but a bit heavier. Easy for me to sort it all out then add a bit more pressure for him.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
End Product

And she’s done!

The pillaged Trek in the background:

The proud owner:

I’m still injured (neck/shoulder) but having a spin up & down the street...holy crap it handles well. It is actually nimble. Must be the stem, fork offset & rake all coming together.

Suspension feels amazing - we just set it up using exactly what Ibis recommends. God knows how you’d ever seperate out high & low speed compression & rebound on both ends otherwise. Certainly will be fun trying settings out.

Chuffed with the outcome.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah I wouldn’t trust that @beeb character...... he rides a santa cruz after all :oops:
Yeah - Can't trust them Santa Cruz riding types, they're as bad as those Transition fanboys! :p

I got far too excited when I saw this thread - I though it had arrived already. Still wished I'd realised you needed it packed for freight, apologies for not asking! Keen to see it built up. :)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Build Process

As can be seen above, the build has started

Discs mounted - and the torque wrench will remain on the bench until all is completed. I’ve vowed to use it for every fastener this time:

Half turn till snap will do, don’t need none of this fancy shiznit.

How much was it and where did you get it? My only torque wrench is a 1/2’ thats 2 feet long :/ kinda not really good for bike stuff.
And all the suppliers at work want stupid amounts of money for ones that are 3/8 or 1/4 drive :(

And please tell me he’s getting a matching orange hope crankset

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Re: crankset - if non-Boost XT don’t fit, maybe!

Just a cheap Giant (re)branded generic torque wrench. Maybe $60? IIRC. Nice to use, nice to have.

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It'll work. I run both on my Intense. Even ran boost cranks on my non boost hardtail. It's a few mm of offset. Will just mean the chain is a bit straighter on the upper gears and a touch more cross chained on the smaller ones.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Half turn till snap will do, don’t need none of this fancy shiznit.

How much was it and where did you get it? My only torque wrench is a 1/2’ thats 2 feet long :/ kinda not really good for bike stuff.
And all the suppliers at work want stupid amounts of money for ones that are 3/8 or 1/4 drive :(

And please tell me he’s getting a matching orange hope crankset
Just get a beam one like this. https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Professio...m=323376367813&_trksid=p2056116.c100935.m2460

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk