2018 Pike

moorey

call me Mia
Weightweenieitis..... it's a cnut of a mental disorder.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
It sure is if it effects your decision, and you choose weight over performance.
I'll worry about this shit when I lose 10kg.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moorey, I believe Bear the Bear made my point.
If I can get the same performance with 150g less weight, I'll take it.
May not matter to you and that's sweet, but its not a weight over performance question.

Compared to traditional XC forks, these things weigh a tonne.
I'll get used to it and do enjoy the performance benefits, but it IS definitely noticeable.
My buddy and I have the same bike, he has RS1's and I have Pikes, my wheels are lighter but there's still a significant difference in front end weight.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Seems like manufacturers want to make more reasons for people to buy new parts or bikes by changing 'standards'

They are also making a RCT3 charger damper 2 upgrade kit for Lyrik / Pike / Yari with OneLoc remote for around $300 (or $250 without remote) landed from ze Germans.

Not sure exactly which ones it is for though

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
but Pikes *aren't* XC forks, they're trail/light enduro?
That's how'd I rate them.

I went from a Lyrik RC2DH to a pike, and the pike felt like a flimsy noodle in comparison. The dirty buggers also waited until everyone was on a Pike before releasing the Lyrik to maximise sales.

On a side rant, screw boost - there are many other options at least currently in non-boost, I have a collection of Chris King and hope hubs that I won't be 'upgrading' from.

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
Yeah, Pike is trail/ enduro. Xc would be a sid or Reba etc. As seen here

Ze Germans have listed the new ones at the same price. Upshot for me is now there are 140mm dual position forks, the question is are they worth it, or just stick with 140 ?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
That's how'd I rate them.

I went from a Lyrik RC2DH to a pike, and the pike felt like a flimsy noodle in comparison. The dirty buggers also waited until everyone was on a Pike before releasing the Lyrik to maximise sales.

On a side rant, screw boost - there are many other options at least currently in non-boost, I have a collection of Chris King and hope hubs that I won't be 'upgrading' from.
To be fair, you are 340kg naked. I've never managed to get flex out of any of my sets.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
But sooo sweet on our 'xc' bikes :woot:
what I ride, and then how I actually ride it are completely unrelated. I *need* that burly trail/enduro fork to hold the front end of my bike up as I walk/slip beside it down gentle rocky trails.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
To be fair, you are 340kg naked. I've never managed to get flex out of any of my sets.
Yeah that's pretty close to the truth, I like eating and lifting weights, but mostly eating.

I'd like a few of the main stream MTB sites to actually have a few clydes and super clydes do some reviews, brakes and forks which are great when your 68kg generally aren't near as good when your 108kg.

That being said I'd be happy with the pike as a trail fork, but for an AM - shuttle day fork, its was subpar, the chassis on the 36, 350 and at least old Lyrik are tops.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but Pikes *aren't* XC forks, they're trail/light enduro?
I wasn't ever disputing this, just pointing out that what I'm using now is significantly heavier than what I was using previously.

I still like Pikes, don't worry. But if I can have the same performance in a lighter package, it would be a bonus for my bike and riding requirements.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
For those looking for a slightly longer travel XC fork ie 120mm.
The jump is 1400gms to 1800gms for the latest Fox SC forks and RS Sid which is noticeable.

Note: Pikes are awesomeness!!!!
New Fox Sand Cast forks are a piece of junk. bush spacing is small, significant flex under braking in the car park, I'm 70kg, with a 160mm rotor. This was the same on two SC forks I tried, one set fresh out of the box.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
New Fox Sand Cast forks are a piece of junk. bush spacing is small, significant flex under braking in the car park, I'm 70kg, with a 160mm rotor. This was the same on two SC forks I tried, one set fresh out of the box.
Interesting comment.
As noted by another comment earlier in here about pikes being flexy, some people can/ do notice fork flex way more than others.
I have no problems with the Fox SC other than I wish there was a 120mm version.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Which models are the "sand cast" ones? Are you just talking about the XC step cast ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Farkkkkk .....ordered from my LBS a set of 2017 Pike RCT3 + 140 air shaft Wednesday last week for like $1390+.......must cancel or get a price match.....
Can you film it when you walk in and ask for them to price match an online shop. Ok thanks.