2018 RS vs Fox Suspension

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Had my eyes on a Canyon Torque or YT Capra recently.

Currently just zero-ing in a build of either and just want some opinions on this year's suspension comparison. Generally the Fox is a bit more $$$ but comes with a few extra goodies (better wheels and brakes) so am happy to stretch the budget if it's worth it.

I'm very familiar with RS (Currently have 26" 160mm Lyrik RCT3 and Monarch Plus Debonair RC3) and Fox is foreign territory to me.
I've ridden a mates Capra with Lyriks/Super Deluxe and they felt better than expected so curious to see if the 36/X2 is even better.
Specifically I'm comparing the 2018:
Lyrik RCT3 vs 36 FIT4 Elite
Super Deluxe RC3 vs X2 Air Elite

Couple things I've come across is:
- "Elite" lineup doesn't have Kashima coat but everything else is identical ... unsure if this is a big deal
- 2018 Fox gear added their EVOL (Debonair equivalent?) tech to their suspension. (Media says smoother initial stroke and small bump compliance)
- 2019 RS gear follows the above adding debonair to their Lyriks so the 36's are ahead of the game?
- Apparently Fox suspension requires servicing less frequently?
- Old X2 Air's were grenades but its a thing of the past now.

Any thoughts are appreciated on performance, reliability, servicing etc. Who knows ... could be f$%k all difference and its marketing BS but am keen to hear everyday Joe's experience. This is more towards 2018 models as I don't want to make another generic RS v Fox thread.

Cheers!

teK--

Eats Squid
Fox are aresholes they design their gear to require many custom tools to service. Rules out DIY in most cases, if that is important to you or if you ride a lot and need servicing often . Rockshox is better but still not perfect. If DIY is a priority for you buy whichever build option you like then change over the fork and shock for DVO gear.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Elite coating is much more user friendly that kashima. That stuffs still too soft. I don't remember the last time I saw anyone without damage to their coating..

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox are aresholes they design their gear to require many custom tools to service. Rules out DIY in most cases, if that is important to you or if you ride a lot and need servicing often . Rockshox is better but still not perfect. If DIY is a priority for you buy whichever build option you like then change over the fork and shock for DVO gear.
I just replaced some FIT4's for DVO Diamond and couldn't be happier.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
im happy with fox grip [pretty good value imo], wht not try the suntour durolux as reviewed on this site? seems pretty good value