2018, tell us your highs and lows

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Its nearly Christmas again, far out it only seems like a few months ago. Hopefully your 2018 has been pretty awesome and you're looking forward to a great 2019 onwards.
Thanks for the fun times on the forums this year. We've tried to include more of the member ideas this year and make it feel a little more welcoming than times gone by so as always, chuck us any ideas you have on cool content.
For me, I've had some pretty cool times this year. I've always spent a lot of my spare time giving back to the sport I love and have seen this year that sometimes it isn't worth the big effort on your body and your bank balance only to have some greedy fuckers not appreciate what you do and try to reap the rewards for themselves. With that in mind, I've stepped back a lot from a few big things and made myself a promise earlier in the year to just ride bikes with mates and make sweet trails. I like to do the odd race here and there but am so sick of the shitty attitude many people have involved in organising races. Make no mistake, you come across some amazing people in that line of volunteering but you tend to remember the jerks who want the glory of 15 likes on Fakebook who don't put the work in. You know what I say? Fuck those jerks, ride because you want to guys and girls and enjoy your time hanging with pals.
One big goal I've kicked this year is managing stress and in light of what I just said, its all about making time to be better to yourself. I'm happy to say I'm in a good head space and have some exciting stuff coming up that I'm looking forward to.
My highs so far for 2019:
-Staged a great national downhill round at Coffs Downhill with a cool vibe. I had an international commissaire who has "been there and done that" for most world cups. He reckons the trail presentation me and my crew put together was the best he's ever seen in the world, pretty chuffed!
IMG_5581.jpg

-I built my Intense Tracer in early March after selling my custom Norco Sight to a good mate. I was so stoked that bike landed in the hands of a such a great guy and I still get to maintain it!
IMG_6305.jpg

48228815_2187569668162968_2834734503337918464_n.jpg

-I jumped out of a plane in March on an amazingly clear sunny day and landed on the beach. I got to steer the parachute for a while and loved the whole thing, such a hoot.
IMG_6797.jpg

-Wifey and I had a great adventure to the Whitsundays in May. It was nice to switch off for a week and do some island hiking. We travel overseas a bit but want to see a bit more of Australia in between big trips.
IMG_7702.jpg

-My Labrador is turning thirteen in January and her back legs and hips are starting to give her a little trouble. We have lots of steps outside our home that she has some trouble with so I made a heap of awesome ramps around the steps for her to get around. It's turned her into a pup again and she totally loves being able to move so freely around the yard without hassle, pretty proud of that little bugger.
IMG_8457.jpg

-I got a GoPro drone mid year and have had some cool times mucking around with that. Some of the varying views it offers are amazing!
GPTempDownload.jpg

-I got in a bit of trouble from Wifey for dropping some funds on anaother bike; a long time desire to get another all mountain Norco hardtail had me hooked when I decided to buy a Norco Torrent. I've just finished putting my final touches to it and will Post my Ride soon. ;)
-I've had some really cool experiences dealing with several companies bringing some reviews to you good folks and have had some time on some rad bikes. I am so grateful for that chance and intend to bring you more saucy stuff.
-I won a few tickets to the Supercar race on the Gold Coast in October. It came at a time where I didn't have much money but considered it a sign that I should just go. Like the other 92 races I go to a year, it was ace but I witnessed a crazy storm that cancelled the racing on Sunday arvo. Waiting for the official call at the track, I was shading a couple of police officers from the rain who said the motor racing crowd are easily the most approachable and easy to manage, have been for years. Take that doubters. ;)
-Coffs Harbour hosts the World Rally Championship each year and this time around I had four people join me who had never seen it. I took them to all the cool places and they absolutely loved it. It was cool to see them experience it and feel good for it .
IMG_9592.jpg

-I've played basketball since I was a kid and although there's been a few setbacks here and there, I still feel pretty competitive nearing forty. The group of guys I play with had a fun season but were on the backfoot coming towards the finals but we managed to put a few good games together and won our Grand Final against some really agro layers. It was nice to get my seventh domestic trophy in that league and inspire a young local lad to chase his dream of maybe one day making the pro leagues.
-As I said earlier, I've put effort into being a better mate and being nicer to be around. I've ridden a bike almost every day and have a cool trip planned with some pals just before Christmas at Greenvalleys then my yearly trip to Queenstown in February. The guys doing that trip have never ridden there so I'm kind of their tour guide for all the good stuff, really excited!

Merry Christmas folks, I hope you get a few days off and get some cool time with people dear to you. All the best for 2019.
IMG_0856.jpg

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2018 was a pretty good year for me too.
Moved into a new house at the beginning of the year. Commute is a bit of a schlep but Mt Narra is just round the corner.
Rode Narra heaps! This kind of riding is kinda new for me (more XC in the past) and while I've been terrified for most of the year I've REALLY enjoyed the change. Done way less mileage this year but have had a bunch of fun.
Took up a new sport - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My kid started, I had dabbled in the past and I'm really enjoying learning something new.
Rode heaps with my sprog, love taking him out on the bike.
Our dog is also old and sick, she's on medication which makes her really naughty. That has been a downer.
Things are a bit trickier financially this year but really I've got nothing to complain about.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Has been a big year for me.

3rd child arrived in January. Happy and healthy little girl.

First long camping trip with the family in September. My wife has done very little camping so a week of camping in the cold and wet down south was a big effort. 9 month old was an absolute trooper.

Other 2 kids (8 and 5) finally ditched training wheels. Unfortunately the boy (5) didn't do so until after the campingtrip - the disappointment of watching his best mate and other kids riding around without him was probably the motivation he needed tho.

Only one true mountain bike ride for the year, but it was with my 5yr old and comfortably the best (albeit briefly) mountain biking experience of my life. Took him to the local bmx track too which was great. Both rides involved crashes and lost skin but he seems hooked.

Stacks of other riding with the kids rho, including some tame local hardpack trails to get them into it. The kids are asking to go riding most nights after work - who am I to say no!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rediscovered MTB via a demo ride on a Spec. Carbon Camber
Earned some excellent training/experience/promotion opportunities at work.
Bought some nice bits from @creaky which transformed my entry level HT into a light and lively ride
Deciding on my first FS bike
Having to wait for the above !
A good year after a few pretty tough ones.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OP, your year seems awesome!

Mine has been pretty good generally.
Down first - too much work, and the Mrs has been stressed with work, her Mum and bringing her to Straya.

I also killed my Fuel EX 9.9 frame (thankfully no injury in the process).

Good next..
Mrs Reverend and I are tight and thick as thieves. Our two daughters are doing great. Leaving school and doing University / figuring life out.

Killed Fuel led to Banshee Prime and frankly every riding day since then has been wicked.
Lots of travelling to different locations for riding fun. Kept the riding group close and in good shape too.

Generally, I pinch myself every single day as life is good.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crazy year for me.
Work has been out of control.

But some good stuff still happened;
Did up my kitchen
Got my first duel sus bike.
Got a new puppy
Heaps up nice rides

But the down;
Riding has come to an abrupt end due to a lower back issue.
Doing a lot of swimming which seems to be having a dramatic affect. So hopefully back soon.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2018 has been an up and down year in a number of ways, first time I was quasi unemployed since I was 22 (even then in honesty only briefly) which I found disconcerting but helped me appreciate at least a little bit those who often do it a 1000 times tougher than I do.

Highs though have been enjoying riding MTB with my boy who is 13 and just broke his 3rd spoke on the rear wheel of his AM hardtail - I need to get him a better rear wheel, even though I rode that wheel for 18 months with no dramas, he obviously rides harder than me!

We rode Maydena and Derby this year on my first legit MTB holiday which is the first of many I hope and as far as I am concerned just about the best holiday I have ever had (although 2006 World Cup in Germany was pretty good). If you haven't done Tassie, find a way, seriously... just do it!

WA keeps inching forward on the MTB front and although we do have some great trails here, it always feels like so much untapped potential, still some sanctioned trail got built this year and if I recall correctly I have stayed out of hospital so I'll chalk it up as a win!

I was recalling to my son on the weekend the old days of riding mostly fire trails on my sans suspension steel MTB in the every early 90's when we could tell if someone else had been riding there recently by the tyre tracks (and could tell if the had been riding an Onza Porcupine or a Panaracer Dart front tyre!). Those days are gone with a car park that was so full we had to park on the road and a constant stream of MTB traffic on the trail that had us stopping to let people past on the way up and passing a few people on the way down which is just fanastic I think to have people enjoying our sport.

So as you can see from the smiles on our faces in my pic, I love riding with the lad and I got to do more of that in 2018 than ever including his first double black, bring on 2019, surely it's time for me to get a new bike!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crazy year for me.
Work has been out of control.

But some good stuff still happened;
Did up my kitchen
Got my first duel sus bike.
Got a new puppy
Heaps up nice rides

But the down;
Riding has come to an abrupt end due to a lower back issue.
Doing a lot of swimming which seems to be having a dramatic affect. So hopefully back soon.
When you get a moment look up "yoga with Abi" on Pinkbike.
It's made a massive difference to my back after spinal fractures. Zero issues now and it's part of a daily flexibility routine. Hopefully it works for you.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bit of hit and miss. Try to see some good in the bad.

- Been wrestling with council for the most part of the year to get approvals to build a home. Living arrangements have been choppy.
- Crashed badly in Feb breaking collarbone and two ribs (this was just a commute lol), the positive is that Te road to recovery and fitness has been hard but rewarding in itself. You take health for granted sometimes.
- Had to give up car racing because a lot of things broke on it and without a garage and transitional living arrangements, had to go. Sad to let it go bbut he good thing was it meant more riding!
- Managed to hold off buying or upgrading the bike this year - I am amazed myself only purchases for replacement parts and maintenance. However there is a norco sight that I am thinking of pricing up before year end on gumtree. Thoughts on the sight @Dozer ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
- Managed to hold off buying or upgrading the bike this year - I am amazed myself only purchases for replacement parts and maintenance. However there is a norco sight that I am thinking of pricing up before year end on gumtree. Thoughts on the sight @Dozer ?
Amazing bike! I certainly improved my riding big time by building my Sight, it is a 140mm travel frame with 160mm Pikes. The 140mm Revelations I had on it were a little under powered for wanting to do proper enduro stuff so the addition of bigger forks really set it off. Mine was carbon but I have had a few fangs on the alloy frames and they are just as dandy.
10 out of 10 bike, would buy another one tomorrow if my budget permitted. Let us know what you choose mate!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Crazy year for me.

I'm legally not allowed to talk about a bunch of stuff due to court orders
I have a new GF who is amazing.
Built a bunch of bikes
rode waaaaaay less then I'd hoped. doubt I've clocked over 800km this year
digestives issues worsened due to stress

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
highs:
-bought a lynsket ti frame on clearout -built up a capable , comfortable xc bike [low: had a SID on it which is shite then the damper went on it]
-got to derby for the 1st time [but it rained 2/3 of the time i was there]
-organised a 6hr/3hr race almost single handed, race was well received [low: got some locals offside by detailing a long post on FB of everything i did do - & how little support i had]
-bought a turner 5spot, i really enjoyed [however turns out it is a tad sml 4 me so & is hurting my back will b bouncing it]
-enjoyed SS nationals in alice -got to see uluru 4 first time
- have a terrific supportive partner, who doesn't mind me riding [but hates me working on bikes inside]

lows:
-local xc riding mtb group sort of fell apart, can't get them to ride other mtb place, most have become roadies who ride 1 mtb ride a week - so either went solo or had to ride to the next town/trails [get along well with them so its on the plus side, its just further to travel]
-did some kind of soft tissue injury to lower back on left side mid year moving some tree's off the local trail: never had a back injury & it has really screwed me over-still getting treated now 4 months in]
-sold the norco torrent -too many bikes; i do miss it
-didn't race much cyclocross -had diff things on/got injured/had viruses
-didn't reach my goal of 100,000m elevation gain for the year, currently at about 83K [about 5400km total], this is increased km's as my back is sore & the dual-susp makes it worse-filled in some road km's which bores me
-people at my work constantly piss me off & its getting worse -tried to find another job but have been unsuccessful -pigeonholed in the wrong occup.
- had numerous car problems-several flat tyres [which i havn't had 4 10 yrs][ & a couple of breakdowns -annoyed the partner as she had to help me]
-i wanted to take more photos out on the trails of that magic scenery, must remember to do this

appendix -my wife has challenged me to keep the 2 bikes i have now for the whole year , one the lynskey -other is a soma rush fixed gear tracklocross [inner city yuppy wanker bogan's hipster bike] i use for cycloross/gravel/annoying roadies [f&65ing tossa's most of them]..this will bloody drive me crazy me thinks

indica

Serial flasher
Dozer, great pics mate!
Highs - ummm, fitter than ever, lost 15 kilos, look like an old skinny man now. all good, feel great. kids are tops, wife is amazing. bought a block of land for retirement housing. loving the riding recently, can ride up some big hills, getting back into popping rock gardens.
Lows - lost some good mates. One to fuck knows what. the cunt lay on his couch and didn't wake up - 10 years older than me. Taught me all i know at work and still miss him. Another fell off the perch 3 months after being diagnosed with brain cancer. What the actual fuck. Life is short. Live it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Put my dad in a dementia ward in an aged care home.
Became PoA & guardian for both parents.
Spent 3 months filling in Centrelink forms so they could claim the pension.
Wifey's dear awesome grandma died.
Finished owner-building our house & moved into it.
Injured my shoulder badly (RSI-related, also degenerative issues).

Yeah, not much.

Pension was the worst. Most horribly stressful thing I've ever had to deal with.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Great opening @Dozer - congrats on your positive year.

By far the highlight of 2018 for me has been saving my marriage. I was 99.9% sure we were done 12 months ago, but with a lot of mutual effort we've managed to rise like a phoenix from the ashes, and more importantly have a shared vision for our future that's been missing for quite a few years. We're as good as we've ever been now and the lack of tension and stress has made a huge difference to us both and the family unit more generally.

Another highlight is seeing the kids growing another year older (12 and 14 now) and spending time with them. They are fantastic kids and as they are at least 80% the product of my wife's efforts as a mother, it is a reflection on the wonderful person that she is too.

Work's been ridiculously busy, but I'll never complain about that being that I'm self-employed. I dropped 16kg and counting (pipped you there @indica) and none of my clothes fit me anymore. At 47, I'm healthier now than I was at 40, and don't have any significant niggles to slow me down so I count myself lucky to be able to keep up with the riding for a lot longer yet. Went to a mate's wedding in October which was a hoot and a welcome change from funerals that have featured more in recent times.

The only low has been lack of time on the bike. Part of it was work, part of it was deliberately prioritising the family and part of it has been me, and I'm not quite sure why. Probably just need to get back out there and remind myself why I do it. I've spent more time building trails than riding them this year, so I've had some dirt therapy at least. With a looming 2 week break with very little planned, getting back out there will be a priority.

All in all 2018 was a vast improvement over 2017, and 2019 looks even brighter at this stage - touch wood.

Well done @moorey on Felix's progress this year, @link1896 hope you have less stress and more bike time in 2019, and I feel your pain @hifiandmtb - my mother's been in care for a bit over two years now and lucky for me I had a sister that took on the whole Centrelink battle. I almost feel for Centrelink too, given that my sister has a boiling point of about ten degrees and can go from zero to fuck you in 2 seconds on the phone.

To all RB'ers, happy holidays, safe travels and OTB-free riding.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've dropped 30kgs and counting. Winning!

Highlight has been watching my two little monkeys grow up. My 3yr old is proving to be everyones friend and a great big brother. My 1yr old is coming on in leaps and bounds and is super duper cute while doing it.

Next highlight is getting the balance between work/family/exercise onto a razors edge so that I could start losing the weight in earnest. I can't remember the exact statistic but every 1% closer you are to your ideal bmi your life should be longer by X years.

Lowlight. The state of politics in Australia/the world. It's like we've set up the whole political system to attract total egomaniacs and douchebags and make/let them do dumb stuff. We need to pay politicians appropriately, introduce term limits, have a proper federal ICAC, cap political donations to $1000 per individual and have publicly funded campaigns.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited: