2018, tell us your highs and lows

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think @beeb pointed out I bought a ridiculous bike, but can't afford a race entry.
Luckily, wasn't I! :) I can be a bit blunt with my phrasing at times, so I had a "Oh hell, what've I said now!?!" moment when I read this!

Quite the year for you mate, but glad to hear things are on the improve. Mrs Cardy must be alright if she's okay with you keeping that pretty bike while things are a bit tight financially. ;)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Luckily, wasn't I! :) I can be a bit blunt with my phrasing at times, so I had a "Oh hell, what've I said now!?!" moment when I read this!

Quite the year for you mate, but glad to hear things are on the improve. Mrs Cardy must be alright if she's okay with you keeping that pretty bike while things are a bit tight financially. ;)
Sorry @beeb Normally I do my research before I sling shit :oops:

And yeah, despite all the temptations, Mrs George is definitely a keeper

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sorry @beeb Normally I do my research before I sling shit :oops:

And yeah, despite all the temptations, Mrs George is definitely a keeper
Haha all good, I didn't take it like that - was just worried about what I may have said. Skimming back over it, @creaky was only stirring anyway so hopefully it was received in good humour, even though it might have stung a little.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Nah mate, it's all good! @creaky didn't say anything that wasn't true and I'm a pretty mellow guy most of the time. It takes a shit tonne more than that to wind me up :D

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Highs:
- Oldest daughter smashing kindergarden, youngest started pre-school. Just a great year with my girls.
- I smashed myself all year to get a Master of Struct. Eng., and now I'm working with great people and getting paid quite well in that field. 3 years ago I unemployed, not enjoying what I did and working with difficult people, so the $100k gamble could not have worked out any better!
- Wifey putting up with me and supporting us financally so I could complete the above. She's amazing.

Lows:
- Ran into a car door in June and did a Grade III / IV AC joint seperation. Still recovering mentally from it, i.e. I'm walking more things than ever on the MTB because I'm petrified about falling off. And still can't throw a ball at any speed.
- Got fatter. I do know how to fix this though ;)

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Highs: Found this place again, it's a bit different now. Trip to Bali. New bike. 1 year in my job managing the team I used to work in, it's going well.

Lows: Couldn't afford new bike, selling other bikes and skateboards to pay for it. Wife can't find permanent job. She needs a bike, she's had a rough year, but doesn't want to commit to bike expense because work situation.

I got skinnier, and fatter, and skinnier. I seem to have around an 8kg sliding scale mainly controlled by beer.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’m solidly in that camp too ducky. Three years ago I was smashing out times at lystie at the three hour point of a ride that put me inside the top 100 for comm games laps times. Can’t fathom that performance right now. I’ll return to that level of fitness again I’m sure. This time I’ll stay there and it won’t be a fleeting 8 month peak. But fuck it might kill me getting there now I’m 40.

The black dog is a chunt, sorry to hear it.

New(er) car has resolved the car dramas I hope.
Yeah, not-worn-out bike-hauler has taken care of that side of things - already done two blissfully trouble-free interstate trips in the six months I've had it! :) I just need to keep kicking the nasty little mutt in the nuts and get out there and get my fitness back. I'm finding on my regular group rides that towards the end of our 30-odd km rides that I tend to have the freshest legs and still feel pretty comfortable, so that's helping shut the little bastard up. :) I've never been anything remotely close to an elite-level rider in terms of speed, at best a mid-pack B-grader, but my strength has always been to find a groove, and then once in it just chug away for hours on end. I just can't string as many hours together as I'd like at the moment....

One highlight I didn't mention because it's still in progress is that I made a big step to becoming a National-level Race Officer for sailing, which is a bit of a big deal, because it will enable me to officiate at International-level regattas (you're allowed to officiate at one level above your current accreditation because you need to have experience at that higher level to attain that accreditation). After spending a whole weekend (thankfully revolting weather, so I didn't miss any riding!) in a classroom going through the very fine ins & outs of high-level race management, my long-time mentor and one of the course instructors rang me and cheekily said, "I'm very disappointed, you only scored 88.5%. Well done!". I needed 75% to pass as a National RO, and 60-something for State-level, so I comfortably surpassed both targets. Now I just need to go and run a couple of National-level regattas with an assessor hanging over my shoulder to complete the process......

Last edited:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
highs - getting back into everything after finishing cancer treatment mid-17. was nervous about longer rides with the straight exhaust but its all under control for the most part now. Also managed a work trip to the UK, long haul after blood clots and bowel surgery was only a bit painful. And I got to visit my sister who I don't see very often.
Lifting full weights (finally hit 5*5* body weight in benching, haven't done this in 20 years), training TKD, being active with the kids. a year of clear scans takes me that much closer to beating this.
Coaching kids footie was really rewarding, miss it in the off season.
Watching my kids grow - older kid was school captain and seeing him get confident as a speaker and in himself in general was great to see. Younger one started school and is very enthusiastic and made great friends.
Probably a silly one for many here, but I hate haggling so was a good step forward for me to sell my old bike and another older beater this year. I've always put off upgrading out of fear of the selling process more than cost so this was a nice step.
Was getting concerned with business as a freelancer, just after financial year all my work was coming from one client which is a precarious place to be, but a month later I was swamped from other customers.

Fantastic road trip with the family around the NZ south island. definitely on the map to go there again.
Celebrated 25 years with my wife, it keeps getting better.

Lows - dealing with insurance and crap repairs after some muppet smashed into me in a car park. A few anxious days when blood tests were bad enough to warrant further scans, though the scans ended up clear.

All up that balance makes it a pretty good year

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
highs - getting back into everything after finishing cancer treatment mid-17.

A few anxious days when blood tests were bad enough to warrant further scans, though the scans ended up clear.

All up that balance makes it a pretty good year
Thumbs up Tubby, you are a positive bloke, hope all goes well in 2019 !