2018 Trek X-Caliber 8

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
My Trek X-Caliber 8 is getting a glow-up.
It's an XC bike however shares a frame with the Roscoe, which more suits the riding I'm doing/getting into, so swapping out a fair few bits to make it more like that.

Before I started:

Frame - 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - RockShox 30 Silver, 51 mm offset, 100mm travel 2020 Marzocchi Bomber Z2, 44mm offset, 120mm travel
Handlebars - Bontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, 5 mm rise, 720 mm width Nukeproof Neutron V2 alloy riser, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 800mm wide
Stem - Bontrager Elite, 31.8 mm, 7-degree, 80mm Nukeproof Neutron AM, 31.8mm, 45mm
Headset - Yep
Grips - Bontrager SE Elite
Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 1.5 - may swap for Specialized Phenom Comp
Seatpost - Bontrager Line Dropper 31.6mm, 150mm w/dropper remote
Front brake - Shimano MT200
Rear brake - Shimano MT200
Cranks - RaceFace Ride 36/22
Chainguide - Nukeproof
Chain - KMX X10
Pedals - Specialized Bennies - not a huge fan so may swap
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore M6020 Deleted
Rear derailleur - Shimano MT600 XT Shadow 10s
Front shifter - Shimano Deore M6000 Deleted
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore M6000
Cassette - Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10-speed
Front hub - Formula DC20 LW alloy Nukeproof
Rear hub - Formula DC2241 alloy, Boost141 Nukeproof
Front rim - Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready 28-hole Nukeproof Neutron V2 Front Wheel 15x110mm Boost
Rear rim - Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready 28-hole Nukeproof Neutron V2 Front Wheel 148x12mm w/ Boost 141 adaptors
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20˝
Tubes - Yep
Total weight - NFI

Finished picture to come once I get things finished off

Few more items to get hold of before I'm done:
180mm discs & adaptors
New brakes - either Magura MT Trail Sports or Deore 4pots
11-42s cassette (have a Goatlink)
New tyres?
New pedals?
Upgrade dropper remote?

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My Trek X-Caliber 8 is getting a glow-up.
It's an XC bike however shares a frame with the Roscoe, which more suits the riding I'm doing/getting into, so swapping out a fair few bits to make it more like that.

Before I started:
View attachment 370535

Frame - 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - RockShox 30 Silver, 51 mm offset, 100mm travel 2020 Marzocchi Bomber Z2, 44mm offset, 120mm travel
Handlebars - Bontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, 5 mm rise, 720 mm width Nukeproof Neutron V2 alloy riser, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 800mm wide
Stem - Bontrager Elite, 31.8 mm, 7-degree, 80mm Nukeproof Neutron AM, 31.8mm, 45mm
Headset - Yep
Grips - Bontrager SE Elite
Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 1.5 - may swap for Specialized Phenom Comp
Seatpost - Bontrager Line Dropper 31.6mm, 150mm w/dropper remote
Front brake - Shimano MT200
Rear brake - Shimano MT200
Cranks - RaceFace Ride 36/22
Chainguide - Nukeproof
Chain - KMX X10
Pedals - Specialized Bennies - not a huge fan so may swap
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore M6020 Deleted
Rear derailleur - Shimano MT600 XT Shadow 10s
Front shifter - Shimano Deore M6000 Deleted
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore M6000
Cassette - Shimano HG50, 11-36, 10-speed
Front hub - Formula DC20 LW alloy Nukeproof
Rear hub - Formula DC2241 alloy, Boost141 Nukeproof
Front rim - Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready 28-hole Nukeproof Neutron V2 Front Wheel 15x110mm Boost
Rear rim - Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready 28-hole Nukeproof Neutron V2 Front Wheel 148x12mm w/ Boost 141 adaptors
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20˝
Tubes - Yep
Total weight - NFI

Finished picture to come once I get things finished off

Few more items to get hold of before I'm done:
180mm discs & adaptors
11-42s cassette (have a Goatlink)
New tyres?
New pedals?
Upgrade dropper remote?
A build thread that actually documents the build process? What is this madness! :p Look forward to seeing how it evolves. :)

Rorschach

Put on the new riser bars and shorter stem
Also removed the front derailleur and removed the 22 teeth chainring (and took a chunk out of my finger in the process) and added a chain guide.

Still need to put my new forks on but need a shock pump so couldn’t be bothered swapping wheels.

First time I’ve pulled a crank and suspect I’ll need to again soon as I don’t think I did the bolts up on the chain guide enough

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If your looking at upgrading the dropper remote you can just repurpose the front shifter. There is a sticky in the parts and stuff category and honestly they make the best remotes, quite a few of us on here use them.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
If your looking at upgrading the dropper remote you can just repurpose the front shifter. There is a sticky in the parts and stuff category and honestly they make the best remotes, quite a few of us on here use them.
If u r a weight weenies, beware they're heavier than purpose made remotes. I agree though they work the best (and maybe the cheapest option as well? left shifters are cheap because hardly anyone uses them these days).

Rorschach

Did see that, will re-visit the post and see how easy it is - I'm a bit mechanically inept!

Rorschach

Got some time to work on the bike today so started switching out the front end. Swapped the forks and put the new front wheel together with some new-to-me 180mm XT discs (thanks @beeb).
Got this far then realised I’ve got the front tire on backwards so gave up.
I blame the heat. 39 here today and no ventilation in the garage!

Got some 180mm disc adaptors for the front from my LBS but not overly happy so will likely order some shimano ones from MTBD or similar as these are just essentially longer bolts and washers.

Still to do the rear wheel - mixing up a DHF on the front with an Aggressor at the back, both 2.5s
Might also swap the seat out, haven’t decided yet

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Coming along nicely! DHF/Aggressor is a nice combo.

Bugger 39 degrees and no ventilation though, you can keep that!

Rorschach

Coming along nicely! DHF/Aggressor is a nice combo.

Bugger 39 degrees and no ventilation though, you can keep that!
At least being WA there isn’t much in the way of humidity!

A couple more hours and I reckon I’m done, at least for now.

Shame no-one has a 42t shimano cassette anywhere, need to persevere with the 36t one for a bit

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
At least being WA there isn’t much in the way of humidity!

A couple more hours and I reckon I’m done, at least for now.

Shame no-one has a 42t shimano cassette anywhere, need to persevere with the 36t one for a bit
I rode my Tallboy LT with an 11-42 cassette and almost never used the 42 around Kalamunda. I actually think while I was fit I didn't use the 42 at all... You are on a hardtail with a rear tyre that isn't too draggy, you'll be right for the time being.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I rode my Tallboy LT with an 11-42 cassette and almost never used the 42 around Kalamunda. I actually think while I was fit I didn't use the 42 at all... You are on a hardtail with a rear tyre that isn't too draggy, you'll be right for the time being.
Same. On my 26er hardtail I find 32 big cog heaps, so 36 would be fine on a 29er.

Rorschach

I have really shit knees so hammer the 36t one I have at the minute, and need something bigger - had to walk a bit last time I was out. Managed to source a SunRace one off fleabay so am happy.
Worth noting I’m still running a 36t front sprocket too - this will get swapped out for a 32t one soon, although eBay seems to be sold out of them all.

Rorschach

Got out again today after ‘finishing’ it off last night

Seems to climb better than before, which I’m happy about. Forks are great, but think I need another volume spacer in there. Used ~100mm of travel
Wheels are great

Issues:
Slight sore hands. Will rotate my handlebars a bit further as the degree I’ve already rotated did a bit
Reach feels a bit short given the extra travel - might put my longer stem back on and see
Forgot to tune my gears last night, so couldn’t get in the top ring. Would have made a massive difference to me not having to walk again. Likely not to ride again for a few weeks being away for work and have a 10-42t cassette on the way so will fix at the same time
Think I’ve stuffed my headset changing forks. Tightened it up and felt ok but had to stop and tighten it on the trail a couple of times, which isn’t ideal. I’ll see if I can get some new bearings, but might give it to a shop to sort out.
Also didn’t twig that the dropper cable was above the stem when I put it back together. Easy fix

Good things:
Seems to climb much better than before, although not sure if that’s me or the new bits
Better tyres made a massive difference. Should have swapped them out ages ago. DHF had enough grip on the front and the Aggressor at the back kept things rolling
Downhill this is a completely different beast - unsurprising given only the frame and drivetrain are the same. So much more confident riding, was much faster and even got some air - which is great for me.

Overall had a blast today