2018 World Cup discussion

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
He is good, very good....not good enough to destroy that field on a level playing field. Early runs didn’t have the slop of the later runs in my opinion.
Agreed. Especially considering the next 2 on the podium are Atherton and Thirion. Still, what a ride! It’s been an awesome few weeks for him. First whistler EWS now a World Cup. For all the work these guys put in, it must be an pretty amazing feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
And yet Brook MacDonald was fourth last & came third.

It's bullshit that Maes won because of conditions - he was the best able to tame that course on the day, simple as that.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
It’s quite funny. In the episode of Cathovision where he talks to some riders in the pits they all seem pretty happy with the track.

Lot of bottom lips sticking out after wet race runs where they got their arses handed to them on a plate.

Our Queenstown shuttle driver commented on how loose and on the ragged edge Maes looks like rides when he’d watched him on Zoot but also that this didn’t mean he crashed lots, he just seemed to be comfortable and able to hold it on the fast side of the edge.

Catho’s is the only explanation I’ve heard so far that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Kinda scratchin' my head on this one, internet chatter is alive with people condemning Maes' win and saying it was totally because of the weather, some even saying the race result should be void because he had an unfair advantage etc etc.
I actually think gravity riders are better than that and I hope the people suggesting he had an advantage are total squids who have never ridden a bike in a near death experience. It shits me reading that stuff but something draws you into the conversation and I reckon the guys that offer some opinion that suggests the guy absolutely killed it because he rode better than everyone else are the one's who know where it's at. Far out, just watch his run, he was shit tons quicker than most guys in the sections where the track surface didn't vary whatsoever.
Pull your head in eh.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve not seen condemnation, and definitely not taking anything away from his win. Cathro’s assertion that DHers can’t pedal for 15 seconds is shite. Even machines like Gutierrez dropped a lot of time in that flat section, and he’s the best pedaller out there.
Either way, that’s racing. The man can ride like fuck, rode it the fastest, and deserved the win.
My2c.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Even machines like Gutierrez dropped a lot of time in that flat section, and he’s the best pedaller out there.
This is something that has bamboozled me for a bit. I'm pretty sure the commentators have just created a thing that certain guys are good on the pedals when truth be told, they're all just as good as the next guy. I can't think of a situation where someone has actually shown to have gained time by cranking better than the next guy at world cup level. I'd go so far as to suggest it's bullshit and a useless suggestion 'cause it ain't a thang.

scblack

Leucocholic
This is something that has bamboozled me for a bit. I'm pretty sure the commentators have just created a thing that certain guys are good on the pedals when truth be told, they're all just as good as the next guy. I can't think of a situation where someone has actually shown to have gained time by cranking better than the next guy at world cup level. I'd go so far as to suggest it's bullshit and a useless suggestion 'cause it ain't a thang.
I agree and reckon that is easily backed up by the good results of DH guys who have had a run in world cup gravity/enduro races.