Rear rim - DT Swiss HX531
Spokes - DT Competition
Nipples - DT Prolock Squorx Brass
Front Tyre - Maxxis DHF 3C EXO+ 29x2.6
Rear Tyre - Maxxis DHF 3C DD 29x2.5
Total weight -14.1kg

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just Wow! I'm expecting to hear that this is the best thing you've ever been on. I tried the Genius 29 and that climbed very well. In lock out it was just preposterously quick and made me wonder about the Ransom.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wow that has all the candy. How are you finding the Axs system?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Just Wow! I'm expecting to hear that this is the best thing you've ever been on. I tried the Genius 29 and that climbed very well. In lock out it was just preposterously quick and made me wonder about the Ransom.
I finished the build late Tuesday night with the wife urging me to stop and come to bed.... First ride was a 7km bitumen pedal to work. FWIW, in my very steep neighbourhood, the ass end is supremely supportive. Even without the pedal switch on the shock, this thing has minimal to no monkey motion set @ 30% sag. Very impressed.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Beautiful looking bike. Would be an absolute blast to ride.
Thank you and yes, comfy and quick. Even my concerns about the lack of bar roll adjustability are gone as it feels great. Looks weird as fuck when you're on it with no material protruding out from the stem as per usual.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Wow that has all the candy. How are you finding the Axs system?

Brutal honesty, best bloody thing I've ever used.
I've always loved the Di2 stuff, but just despised the battery/cables/junction box nonsense needed to run it. Also, the matchmaker shifter mount is phenominal. Setup was so quick, even with the stupid Eagle sag/b-tension song and dance. Push button shifting... How have I been forcing springs and cables this whole time....

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Brutal honesty, best bloody thing I've ever used.
I've always loved the Di2 stuff, but just despised the battery/cables/junction box nonsense needed to run it. Also, the matchmaker shifter mount is phenominal. Setup was so quick, even with the stupid Eagle sag/b-tension song and dance. Push button shifting... How have I been forcing springs and cables this whole time....
I should probably add.... 12 speed is a bit over the top and if it wasn't for the fact that the XX1 chains are the most durable I've used(had a gold one on my XTR 11 speed for about 1000km and it hadn't registered .5 wear yet.), I would still be on 11 speed. Hopefully Sram allow us to block the last gear in the AXS app someday.

Reactions: Zaf

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Gorgeous. Any reason you didn't get the model with all the good stuff? ;):D
Hahahaha.

For reals though.... I am king joneser. Always have been. I was the wanker rocking the White Industries LMDS back in the day. FYI, it sucked.

I did keep the stock saddle and headset.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
A short story:

This bike was never on my radar. Nothing Scott makes ever has been.

Like all things these guys make, rest assured that the pivots, all associated hardware and spacers are thinner than a beer can. This bike, like the genius, will require constant upkeep. It is not the set and forget monster that my carbon Range was.

This started as whispers on the web when I was weighing up my first 29er options. The Firebird was the clear long travel choice until this came about at a good price. A pre order and waiting game later.... Boom. Strip down. Sell bits. Start fresh build.

I was gonna keep the black fork and swap the damper , but my buddy was ordering a new 36 and orange was the only option. Out of the kindness of my heart I offered to swap lowers if I could keep the Kabolt that they typically come with. I didn't. Kept my word. Thankfully it looks ok.

The wheels were meant to be EX1501's which weren't due until June. Next option, I'll just build EX511's on 240 hubs. No stock on rims.... After a little back and forth, the HX531 rim was the viable choice. Same as the 511's but meant for ebikes and adding 60g per rim. Reckon I dodged one. The 1501 wheels come built with alloy nipples. We all know how we feel about 'em. They've been fine on the 3 sets of 1501's I've owned previously but opted the spend extra on brass(rims ship with washers and alloy nips).

The groupset was to be XTR 12 speed. On my last build(next PYR once it's clean) I waited for ages for this stuff. Never came. Gave up and handed the Sram douches my hard earned $$. Been reasonably pleased since. Thought the Shimano bits would at least be here by the time I was ready to build this. Nah. And one morning.... A Sram guy says "hey you interested in" without letting him finish I says "gimme!!".

Lastly, let me be perfectly clear;
I was never a lover of Sram, Eagle anything or Avid/Sram brakes. I know it has less life expectancy than its Shimano counterpart. But.... It exists. The Sram warranty dudes here in Aus are fucking legends and might be the only ones to send you shit before you've even removed it from your bike. That means something to those that ride. Plus, the Code RSC brakes are THE best feeling units I've used in a long history of XT/XTR/Saint. The bleed procedure is simple as, and despite the wonky pistons needing massaging and coercing into a proper and even position, the caustic fluid and bulky looks, they work good.

Last edited:

Oddjob

A short story:

This bike was never on my radar. Nothing Scott makes ever has been.

Like all things these guys make, rest assured that the pivots, all associated hardware and spacers are thinner than a beer can. This bike, like the genius, will require constant upkeep. It is not the set and forget monster that my carbon Range was.

This started as whispers on the web when I was weighing up my first 29er options. The Firebird was the clear long travel choice until this came about at a good price. A pre order and waiting game later.... Boom. Strip down. Sell bits. Start fresh build.

I was gonna keep the black fork and swap the damper , but my buddy was ordering a new 36 and orange was the only option. Out of the kindness of my heart I offered to swap lowers if I could keep the Kabolt that they typically come with. I didn't. Kept my word. Thankfully it looks ok.

The wheels were meant to be EX1501's which weren't due until June. Next option, I'll just build EX511's on 240 hubs. No stock on rims.... After a little back and forth, the HX531 rim was the viable choice. Same as the 511's but meant for ebikes and adding 60g per rim. Reckon I dodged one. The 1501 wheels come built with alloy nipples. We all know how we feel about 'em. They've been fine on the 3 sets of owned previously but opted the spend extra on brass(rims ship with washers and alloy nips).

The groupset was to be XTR 12 speed. On my last build(next PYR once it's clean) I waited for ages for this stuff. Never came. Gave up and handed the Sram douches my hard earned $$. Been reasonably pleased since. Thought the Shimano bits would at least be here by the time I was ready to build this. Nah. And one morning.... A Sram guy says "hey you interested in" without letting him finish I says "gimme!!".

Lastly, let me be perfectly clear;
I was never a lover of Sram, Eagle anything or Avid/Sram brakes. I know it has less life expectancy than its Shimano counterpart. But.... It exists. The Sram warranty dudes here in Aus are fucking legends and might be the only ones to send you shit before you've even removed from your bike. That means something to those that ride. Plus, the Code RSC brakes are THE best feeling units I've used in a long history of XT/XTR/Saint. The bleed procedure is simple as, and despite the wonky pistons needing massaging and coercing into a proper and even position, the caustic fluid and bulky looks, they work good.
I expect a long and detailed post in the fuckwits thread in about 6 months time.
In fact I give the cage on the rear derailleur 3 months.

Any reason not to stick with 11 speed other than ugradeitis?

Any plans to run coil or are going to keep it light?

Edit: I just saw the weight. Is that a heavily reinforced carbon frame? Is it stiff as fuck or have they worked some magic to keep some compliance?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I certainly hope it gives you no trouble - early adopters usually pay twice (price and suspect reliability) which I always felt was more than unfair.

The Scott comes in really lightweight for the build and purpose but if it's well engineered you could be in for good times.

It's interesting to hear the Range was sturdy, I've been pondering one but am not sold on the STA (I'm 6'4") and ponderous climbing from Horst link. Anyway.. rip hard!

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
I expect a long and detailed post in the fuckwits thread in about 6 months time.
In fact I give the cage on the rear derailleur 3 months.

Any reason not to stick with 11 speed other than ugradeitis?

Any plans to run coil or are going to keep it light?

Edit: I just saw the weight. Is that a heavily reinforced carbon frame? Is it stiff as fuck or have they worked some magic to keep some compliance?

-I may perhaps make an appearance in the Fwits….Maybe.

- It was less of an "itis" and more just curiosity. The 11 works. I know this but, Shimano cassettes are anchors and the chains wear quick. The best combo I've ever used was the primo Sram 11 cassette with XTR mech/shifter and XX1 Eagle chain. I was very lucky that it meshed well with the XTR chainring. My mate tried it on an XT ring and it wouldn't release cleanly from the ring. I realise I'm king beta tester right now and I'm o.k with it. I'm still using an iphone 4s, we share one crap car in our house and I'm typing on an 8 year old laptop(recent SSD upgrade, fancy right?). I don't drink, smoke and rarely eat out and other than moving here from Canadia 5 years ago, don't spend cash on traveling.

And this seems silly.... many years ago I smashed my shifting thumb badly. I was forever flipping my clutches on and off 'cause it hurt like a mofo shifting some days. This is a game changer.

-Thought long and hard about coil. The Float X2 just feels so good. Plus, I'd want the front to match with a coil kit and there's no turning back from that. Mostly the other thing. Weight.

-The beef is in the shock mount area. The stays are feathery. And the head tube seems pretty tough. Time will tell. Hopefully not a short time. Can't comment on compliance yet. Full ride report after a few smash sessions down my favs.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
I certainly hope it gives you no trouble - early adopters usually pay twice (price and suspect reliability) which I always felt was more than unfair.

The Scott comes in really lightweight for the build and purpose but if it's well engineered you could be in for good times.

It's interesting to hear the Range was sturdy, I've been pondering one but am not sold on the STA (I'm 6'4") and ponderous climbing from Horst link. Anyway.. rip hard!
-Also hoping for the trouble free part but very much expecting the typical Scott issues with the bloody flip chip shock hardware. This is not a good place to skimp in the weight department.

-Two thumbs up for the good times.

-The Range was the beefiest off the rack bike I've owned. Rear pivot is stout, rocker is straight off a DH sled. I did struggle with the suspension curve though. That thing bottomed out religiously and needed all the volume spacers and stacks of HSC to keep it out of its travel. It climbed o.k. and ate stutters with minimal pedal feedback. I'm only 74kg and ran 210-230 psi in the can.

Oddjob

Fair nuff.

I sort of swing the other way. I made a decision to stick to 10 speed XTR/XT/Ultegra to fund more bikes. Although my lust for DVO suspension is kind of blowing the budget.

If you get a chance try a Wipperman Connex chain. Imo the ne plus ultra of chains since Rohloff stopped making chains.

I agree re the X2. Such a great shock. I'd be interested in your thoughts of the Grip 2.