2019 Trans NZ

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Every year in late February and early March, the Trans NZ is held in the South Island of New Zealand with six days of racing around Cragieburn and Queenstown. This year was my first attempt at it and I've made a Vlog compilation to document my experience.

Day 1 - Arriving in Christchurch

We arrived on the Thursday, two days before the race began to give us time to get the bikes sorted and discover if we were missing anything of importance. We spent the day riding the Christchurch Adventure Park which to be honest for a day of riding was a great way to get things sorted for the race. I would definitely go back to Christchurch to ride the park.

Race Day 1 - Cragieburn

Race Day 1 of the Trans NZ started in Cragieburn, which is about an hour or two drive from Christchurch. Unfortunately, the weather had completely turn and over night the temperature dropped, the rain came and the snow started falling. The temperature was 5 degrees at the base of the hill and -1 at the start of Stage 2 (where it began snowing before my race run). Coming from QLD, I was certainly not at all prepared for this kind of weather and spent the day racing four stages without any feeling in my hands.

Race Day 2 - Mt Cheeseman

Race Day 2 was at Mt Cheeseman which was a short drive from the accommodation, here we were only going to complete two stages before a 7-8 hour drive to Queenstown. The first track, Cheeseman started off high up on the mountain with open grass field switchbacks before diving into a brutally mean and wet forest section that caught so many people out. The second, Smegma was half way up the mountain and was a big long pump track through a wet forest.

Race Day 3 - Coronet Peak

Race Day 3 was at Coronet Peak which was about an hours drive from our accommodation in Queenstown. Finally we had a dry day and the tracks we were racing were long! Stage 1 almost 10 minutes, stage 2 almost 15 minutes, stage 3 a short 3 minutes and stage 4 depending how you went was 5 - 7 minutes. I crashed pushing a little too hard on Stage two and lost a tonne of time which was frustrating. A highlight stage for me was Stage 4, Slip Saddle which dropped 500m vertical elevation in about a km. This track was steep! We finished the race by riding from the bottom of Stage 4 into Arrow Town for beers.

Race Days 4 & 5 - Cardrona & Alexandra

Unfortunately Race Day 4 was cancelled as the chairlifts they were hoping to use on Cardrona had been shut due to wild weather. Race day 4 was at Alexandra which was probably 90 minutes drive from Queenstown and featured totally different terrain to what we had been riding. It was very similar to home, loose, dusty and plenty of rocks. The six stages featured a number of blind drops through rock gardens and the organisers had spray painted pink dots on the ground to show where you wheel must go. If you deviated from those pink dots then things got pretty wild quick. The day finished by rolling into Alexandra and the Moneiths Brewery. Epic day.

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Race Day 6 - Queenstown

Race day 6 was in the Queenstown bike park with three stages. I saved my worst day for last with a busted crank spindle on stage one and snapped chain on stage 3, things didn’t go to plan. Despite this, the tracks were a lot of fun and the views coming down stage 2 were something to be seen. Overall, a fantastic trip and one I’d highly recommend to anyone.

Shred on.....

On my YouTube Channel I've put up go pro chest cam footage of every stage from the event

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some awesome trails used in that epic trip, thanks for sharing :)
Day 3, stage two looked like a hoot, and hell you were moving! Shame about the stack.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers @Mugger. Brought back some great memories of my 2 TransNZ’s. Was unfortunate weather...but glad you got to ride slip saddle in decent conditions. Insane track.
How awesome is Alexandra...and Ben Lomond...and Craigieburn...hell, the whole place rocks.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sssoooo, the real question is did you see the new Santa Cruz Megatower there? rumours are some people were racing them.......

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Cheers @Mugger. Brought back some great memories of my 2 TransNZ’s. Was unfortunate weather...but glad you got to ride slip saddle in decent conditions. Insane track.
How awesome is Alexandra...and Ben Lomond...and Craigieburn...hell, the whole place rocks.
I would totally move there hey. Luckily it's only a short flight so I'll definitely be making more of a habit to get there now.

Sssoooo, the real question is did you see the new Santa Cruz Megatower there? rumours are some people were racing them.......
Didn't see it unfortunately, it may have been at the NZ Enduro?

climberman

Likes Dirt
Slip saddle is absurd
Last year we liked Alex so much we went back for a few days riding after the event. Cool area.