2019 World Cup discussion.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
2 years of the same tracks (excluding the USA swap out) why not more variety, why is Fort William always on the schedule? When was the last time it wasn’t included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Bill is a staple. There some different ones in 2020, and Les Gets hasn’t run as a WC in a while.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Awesome to see America get another gig. You could run a ten race series in North America alone and it'd be top notch trails but yeah, it has to work for the Red Bull broadcast too.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Holy craporoly! The new rules have been released, here's the highlights that I see relevant to downhill:
- After leaving the track, riders now have to re-enter the course between the two course markers where they exited rather than at the exact same spot.
- In DH and enduro events, riders are allowed to run two different wheel sizes on the same bike.
- In the DH qualifying round, riders will start in reverse order using their most recent World Cup standings.
- In DH finals, start order is the reverse order of qualifying results (fastest last).

You can run two different wheel sizes on your bike? The fuck? Some chat has obviously been had behind the scenes regarding that but really? Running a bigger front wheel than the rear or vice versa? What a cute story, I can't wait to see the Big Hit revived in Specialized's line up.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You can run two different wheel sizes on your bike? The fuck? Some chat has obviously been had behind the scenes regarding that but really? Running a bigger front wheel than the rear or vice versa? What a cute story, I can't wait to see the Big Hit revived in Specialized's line up.
Liteville are pretty big on this:

"The correct frame size of a bike influences the performance capability of an entire bike. Yet it is not only the frame size that is to fit the rider, but also the wheel size. This is why our frames, depending on the frame size and the body height of the rider, can be built with different wheel sizes (24”, 26”, 27.5” and 29”).

Different wheel sizes? Because it makes sense!

Front: rolling smoothly and safely.
When you hit the dirt, your front wheel has the toughest job. That is why it should be as big as possible without having disadvantages regarding the chassis design.
Passing obstacles becomes a lot easier. On top of this, the tracking as well as the braking performance of the front wheel are improved. And there is more to it! The increased gyroscopic force additionally improves the stability of the bike where it is needed most. The rougher the trail is, the more you will have your front wheel support your riding.

Rear: Light, stiff, highly agile
A moderate wheel size in the back makes possible kinematics that allow for a short rear end of the bike. At the same time, passing obstacles with the bigger front wheel is a lot easier, no matter how big the obstacle is. In comparison to a conventional mountain bike with two equally sized wheels, the inertia is reduced and thereby leads to easier acceleration and more control. It goes without saying that a bigger wheel in the back, even for small riders, would allow for better rolling in flat sections, yet in challenging downhill sections, equally sized wheels provide less stability and thus less control. It is not what you expect from a bike that is designed for tough terrain!"

I've never tried it, but I can see the logic.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Holy craporoly! The new rules have been released, here's the highlights that I see relevant to downhill:
- After leaving the track, riders now have to re-enter the course between the two course markers where they exited rather than at the exact same spot.
I thought that had always been the case.

moorey

call me Mia
I always ran 24 inch rear on the old 222. But that was more to do with stopping the rear wheel hitting the seat tube when I ran the bike in its slackest geometry.
@Dozer, I thought the rule about re-entering a track within the markers, not the same spot, was already the case? Guess not.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Liteville are pretty big on this:

"The correct frame size of a bike influences the performance capability of an entire bike. Yet it is not only the frame size that is to fit the rider, but also the wheel size. This is why our frames, depending on the frame size and the body height of the rider, can be built with different wheel sizes (24”, 26”, 27.5” and 29”).

Different wheel sizes? Because it makes sense!

Front: rolling smoothly and safely.
When you hit the dirt, your front wheel has the toughest job. That is why it should be as big as possible without having disadvantages regarding the chassis design.
Passing obstacles becomes a lot easier. On top of this, the tracking as well as the braking performance of the front wheel are improved. And there is more to it! The increased gyroscopic force additionally improves the stability of the bike where it is needed most. The rougher the trail is, the more you will have your front wheel support your riding.

Rear: Light, stiff, highly agile
A moderate wheel size in the back makes possible kinematics that allow for a short rear end of the bike. At the same time, passing obstacles with the bigger front wheel is a lot easier, no matter how big the obstacle is. In comparison to a conventional mountain bike with two equally sized wheels, the inertia is reduced and thereby leads to easier acceleration and more control. It goes without saying that a bigger wheel in the back, even for small riders, would allow for better rolling in flat sections, yet in challenging downhill sections, equally sized wheels provide less stability and thus less control. It is not what you expect from a bike that is designed for tough terrain!"

I've never tried it, but I can see the logic.
I run the Povo Rune with 27.5 front and 26 rear, works a treat.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Ratboy's Cannondale looks mint, love that frame! Pretty keen to see what they come up with for a downhill bike too.

As for team rumors, its been shit and boring. We need the cool cryptic drawings to come back! Have a read of Vital's thread, Its just lame wanna be wankers with no idea on what is going on.