2019 Yeti's

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah, it's a real problem.
I loved the bikes and being out on them, but it was a real issue looking in the mirror.
Personally, I blame Norm.

Do you think it might be unfair expectation given the lofty heights the marketing occupies in everyone's heads though? Are they just "alright people" but because we're expecting them to be Like this they seem more disappointing than they really are?
Doesn’t even ride a yeti anymore, In fact he’s a rapha clad roadie these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Well, after being fortunate enough to see both the new SB150 and SB130 in the flesh/carbon/fancy plastic yesterday, I must say I am warming to them.

Sb130 is well proportioned but too fussy around the shock mount / top tube imo, whilst the SB150 looks rad but is f***ing enormous. I sat on a large and the reach is bigger than anything I've ridden (and I normally require XL sizes for my giraffe like stature).

If I could justify an SB150 I'd seriously consider it, but it'd be too much bike for my dainty riding style.

In other news, LBS politely informed me that SB5.5s framesets are currently going for a bit of a discount atm...

michaeldorian

Cannon Fodder
Well, after being fortunate enough to see both the new SB150 and SB130 in the flesh/carbon/fancy plastic yesterday, I must say I am warming to them.

Sb130 is well proportioned but too fussy around the shock mount / top tube imo, whilst the SB150 looks rad but is f***ing enormous. I sat on a large and the reach is bigger than anything I've ridden (and I normally require XL sizes for my giraffe like stature).

If I could justify an SB150 I'd seriously consider it, but it'd be too much bike for my dainty riding style.

In other news, LBS politely informed me that SB5.5s framesets are currently going for a bit of a discount atm...
Man. The folks over on MTBR can’t stop gushing over this bike. Hailing it as the king of the mountain and a god send from the bike heavens. A bike they claim with zero weaknesses.

I don’t know how much of that is placebo hype or if it’s a truth. If so Yeti seems to know some
magic that no one else does.

Hot damn I guess I need to ride one. The hype around this bike is making my old my sound like hot trash.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This bike has no weaknesses. Until the new bike is released and they tell you this one is now better than that bike - and so on and so forth.
That is what boils my proverbial with reviews.

Like the Lego movie, "everything is awesome" at launch and mag / site reviews and then folks buy it. It's shown not to be quite that awesome and then what you've described happens.

When I was into cars years ago we'd get the same thing. It's why I only focus on user reviews with a view over a long time.

And the amount of stoke the MTBR folks have for it is actually bordering on obsessive. One in particular I was convinced was on their payroll.

Nowt wrong with a little conviction I suppose.

michaeldorian

Cannon Fodder

Like the Lego movie, "everything is awesome" at launch and mag / site reviews and then folks buy it. It's shown not to be quite that awesome and then what you've described happens.

When I was into cars years ago we'd get the same thing. It's why I only focus on user reviews with a view over a long time.

And the amount of stoke the MTBR folks have for it is actually bordering on obsessive. One in particular I was convinced was on their payroll.

Yeah. I don’t think I’ve seen this with any other bike though. The amount of people claiming to ride it and calling it a godsend. “That has no weakness” thing is from a riders test ride. Are they really able to make a bike better then everyone else? Is SI really that magical?

Your right about the borderline obsessive thing. Sucks cause it makes it so hard to get any real scoop or discussion.

Have you ridden any Yeti’s?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been on a mates SB5 LR and another's SB66. Both were nice but the thing for me is that I'm a Clydesdale and my mates with Yetis are not. So reach and suspension set up is never going to be ideal.

The SB150 is tempting but with 2 other bikes in currently great condition (only got the Prime in May) it's indulgent to consider it and I certainly wouldn't sell the Prime to get one. I'd rather Banshee just released a 150mm+ 29" bike.

If you read the posts a lot of riders rave about SI and others are a little more realistic. And then there's the frame frailty. Reported or not it seems a bigger gamble than many other frames as to whether you are going to be supported by their warranty.

Doesn't matter if it lasts longer if you can't use it when you need it.

The best warranty for me is the one you don't need. It does appear, from frame weight alone, that it's a bit more heavy duty..

What about your experience with them?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.

It’s like Apple, but for bikes.