2019 Yeti's

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I don’t dislike Yetis, I dislike Yeti fans.
They are the Ferraris of the mtb world. Great product, shitty insular fanbois who wouldn't dream of owning anything else.

Ignoring the gushy gush gush of said fanbois and focusing on some early reviews, it does seem like the SB130 is a great bike, but I will wait until Pinkbike (and similar) release their reviews in a few months. Having said that; the SB5.5 was a hyperbole factory when new and that shine did not seem to dilute over time - maybe the 130 will be the same (or even mooooaaaaarrrrr so if the Turquoise Army are to be believed).

One thing is certain, frame weights are up. I couldn't believe you can get fairly average builds to under 13kg (just) on an SB5.5. Judging by the many extra carbon around the Switch Infinity link with the new ones perhaps that low weight wasn't overly sustainable....

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have to admit, I'm having a fairly big crisis over the SB150's. I love the Nomad 4 so much, but I'm keen to try a 29er and the new longer geo trend. The main thing stopping me is the fact I'll need, new wheels and a new fork and to afford that will either be a life of crime, or I start sucking dicks (for money from now on) or both.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have to admit, I'm having a fairly big crisis over the SB150's. I love the Nomad 4 so much, but I'm keen to try a 29er and the new longer geo trend. The main thing stopping me is the fact I'll need, new wheels and a new fork and to afford that will either be a life of crime, or I start sucking dicks (for money from now on) or both.
Get a Pole or Nicolai. Don't risk a Yeti.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What absolute bullshit.
I've got a 130, and its awesome.

You're welcome :)
Have you ridden a Pole or Nicolai ? I haven't but would still take the Yeti over an 18kg freight train.
I'm certainly not in a position to call absolute bullshit though.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Have you ridden a Pole or Nicolai ? I haven't but would still take the Yeti over an 18kg freight train.
I haven't ridden either (I would love to tho), but my bullshit comment is aimed at the idea of not risking a yeti (and not that they are any better/nicer than a Pole or Nicolai)
Why? Because they break "all the time"? I've had 2, an SB6 (that I rode hard for 2.5 years) and now the SB130. Never have I had an issue.
I broke my Canyon Spectral CF after 3 weeks.... but there's not much Canyon hate floating around.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

I own a Pole, ridden a few Nicolai's and Yetis.

I love my Pole. It's 15.5kg but that's with an open bath Avalanche damper in a Yari and tough everything. The bearings are huge and the geometry, suspension and 29er wheels make it a very quick bike in steep and rough conditions. The only problem I've had on that bike is the secondhand hub I had on it.

The Nicolais I've ridden have been beatiful bikes, pretty much the ne plus ultra of alloy mtbs.

I've ridden a Yeti 303 dh and a 575. The 303 was a POS. The rail and bushings were shot and according to the owner were a nightmare to maintain. The 575 was nothing special and snapped not long after at the infamous bb junction for that model. Actually the 575 was famous for breaking at the bb and the swingarm weld. I haven't ridden one of the newer SB series of bikes but the cracking and bearings issues on the first gen SB5s and 6s are well documented.

So if you want a 29er with long slack geo and have $10k to spend would you go with: -Pole who are doing wonderous things with cnc'ed 7075 and leading the way on geometry.
-Nicolai/Geomotron who have done wonderous things with alloy for 20 years and make the nicest bikes around. Or
-Yeti who have a long history of patchy QC and who's SB130/150 are already having issues with frame flex and tyres rubbing through to carbon fibre.

QED

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Eh, I'd own a Yeti tomorrow if they weren't 5k for a frame. That's my only issue with the brand, otherwise I've heard nothing but good things and solid customer service if shit does go wrong.

The older I get the more I value the approachability and customer service of a brand. I had some concerns with shock alignment on my Canfield Riot and getting an email back from the guy who designed it is a good way to avoid all the middlemen who send back canned responses to such issues.

Oddjob

Eh, I'd own a Yeti tomorrow if they weren't 5k for a frame. That's my only issue with the brand, otherwise I've heard nothing but good things and solid customer service if shit does go wrong.

The older I get the more I value the approachability and customer service of a brand. I had some concerns with shock alignment on my Canfield Riot and getting an email back from the guy who designed it is a good way to avoid all the middlemen who send back canned responses to such issues.
It's a good thing you have a Turner then. Dave answers most of the emails himself.

Oddjob

Artist rendition of @Oddjob explaining where the Yeti touched him.
...I hear a loud CRACK! and the next thing I know I'm trying to pull this suspension fork out of my ass...

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I think we can stop the shit slinging now as I reckon the decision has already been made... a stripped Mk4 Nomad on was posted on Farcebook around lunchtime today.