2020 Norco Optic C1


Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also run the Hope metal pads, it's not quite a wet Avid turkey warble but a persistent squeal under all conditions. More pressure, wet conditions, constant cleaning, dust, piston realignment, COVID-19 - nothing changes the squeak/squeal. I've had great success with the Swiss Stop products on XTR and Saint brakes so with any luck that will solve it. It seems to be a reasonably common complaint with the Hope brakes over on MTBR.
It's a weird thing - I never have any problems at You Yangs (granitic sand), but when I ride high-country (clay) I do get the same squeaky high pitched turkey warble building up as the day goes along. Get home after the trip, lightly touch up the pads with a bit of emery or a kitchen scourer or something and back to no problems for months of riding at Youies again. Honestly never been sure if it's the extra elevation/track length up high country or some kind of contamination from the clay dust/mud.


2 mates and myself run Hopes (2x e4 and I run v4) and also find them to be slightly squealy in most conditions and worse at slower speeds, I've tried several different pads, bleeding, caliper alignment, piston inspection etc to no avail so I will be interested to hear how you go.

Ultra Lord

Beanie Fitment Specialist
Floating rotors don’t help either if you’re running them.
Mine squeal if I’m dragging them. Brake hard and they don’t.

Mr Crudley

Eats Squid
Floating rotors don’t help either if you’re running them.
Mine squeal if I’m dragging them. Brake hard and they don’t.
Never noticed that but sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

The Clarke's floating rotors with xt metal pads are always quiet. Nothing to do there so far :)

The Heckler with the cheaper rotors and Juicy 5 gobbles occasionally and I think I've nutted out a few causes on that one - fine dust that can work it's way around the piston and behind the pads or just dirty rotors.

If I ride through any sticky plants like paspaelum then the front rotor will gobble. A spray with ISO propyl alcohol and clean with a paper towel fixes it 80% of the time. Hard braking and luck seems to sort out the other 20%.


Likes Dirt
Squealing sorted, the Swiss Stop pad rotor combo seems to have done the trick but I've only ridden it around the block a couple of times.
The rotor offset is slightly different to my xtr rotors and it's nearly maxed out on the caliper adjustment but after some stuffing around they are all centred correctly.
I also managed to buy the wrong hope bleed cap thing so if anyone needs one for Tech levers let me know. They do not fit Tech3 levers, ffs.
Rotor bottom bracket fit which was a relief and after a bit of adjustment is good. The old bearing races were fucked, pitted and the hard chrome was missing of most of the balls. More low quality from our friends at E13


Likes Dirt
Did 30km at YY today with no squeaks from the brakes, they also have a better feeling ramp up in friction. Softish with low pressure but with moderate or high lever pressure the bite is.much better than the metal hope pads.
Rattle is 100% gone in the One Up dropper but the lever is still really heavy.


Likes Dirt
I was supposed to be riding this at Harcourt this weekend but fucking COVID-19 has ruined that plan. Fuck.
Probably not a bad thing really because I'm pretty sure I've got a fractured thumb after a crash at Plenty, so probably shouldn't be riding too much anyway.