2020 Norco Optic C1

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That geo though. Also, who wants to wait 18,000 years
Geo bad or good? Personally, I'd have an optic over the revolver any day. But my only bike is 15kg and I like my forks to not flex in turns.

Also, I just looked at the original post photo. You should have got a large.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you should have got the 20202 revolver... :rolleyes:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/xc-race/revolver-fs-120/revolver-fs-1-120/

The optic was always marketed as more down "trail" than up.
This probably isn't as far off the mark as we think.
In the current climate, downhill ability is king and a lot of companies are sacrificing general trail capability.

If you came off a 'trail' bike from 2-3 years ago and jumped on something ultra modern within the same category it would be a rude shock.
Not saying this is necessarily bad, but the goalposts have shifted.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself and think about selling it after one half drunk test ride in the dark, but I did expect it to be a bit nicer up the hills.
I'm just waiting for Bikesportz to get back to me about a retailer I can buy my Hope hoses off since the XTR brakes are off to Tasmania tomorrow. That will give me some time to track down some lighter tyres and arrange a timed run around some trails I know well to give a comparison.

moorey

call me Mia
Geo bad or good? Personally, I'd have an optic over the revolver any day. But my only bike is 15kg and I like my forks to not flex in turns.

Also, I just looked at the original post photo. You should have got a large.
Revolver geo definitely not for descending...nor even post yr 20,000.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loving the purple.

Is a fire road ride really the best way to judge a new bike?
It's my weeknight training grind, only about 12km for the total loop but it's incredibly steep in both directions and known by many who ride it as Mt Struggletown. If you don't feel like chucking at the end of it, you're doing it wrong. I've probably done 500 loops of it on 20 different bikes so it's a good place to get the initial feel of a bike. I'd be questioning the beers and riding in the dark with one eye!

I looked at the new Sight but after riding the old one in Cairns there was no fucking way.
The bike I really wanted was a Revel but way too spendy for a casual rider like me.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Revolver geo definitely not for descending...nor even post yr 20,000.
67ish degree ha and long reach. Yeah sounds garbage. Stick a decent 130mm fork on a revolver and that thing would be a proper good trail bike.

Last edited:

clockworked

Like an orange
I don't do too much serious jumping after losing an eye a couple of years ago, with no depth perception I struggle to stick the landings because I can't really tell when it's going to happen.
You lost an eye and you still ride at all?! I've got two eyes AND glasses and things are still happening too fast for me.

I suppose this optic situation hasn't helped your norco situation

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You lost an eye and you still ride at all?! I've got two eyes AND glasses and things are still happening too fast for me.

I suppose this optic situation hasn't helped your norco situation
Yeah the irony of buying an Optic isn't lost on me.
Cycloptic cycling has its drawbacks, the worst is low hanging branches and riding at night. I'm also not able to ride in the rain because if I get mud in my remaining eye I am fucked.
Unfortunately I lost my good eye so my remaining eye sight is pretty average without glasses but it doesn't stop me riding.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
67ish degree ha and long reach. Yeah sounds garbage. Stick a decent 130mm fork on a revolver and that thing would be a proper good trail bike.
67 with a 120m fork, surely pure trail bike..where the hell are the 70+ deg Ha xc whippets?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I thought the Bronson was a one bike fits all. Good climber and able to easily exceed my limits down. But after going back to one hardtail and the next it does leave something to be desired on easier cross country duties, locking out suspenders or not. Heavier bikes will feel heavier and there isnt much more than a kg or two in it. Plus the rigid arse end of course.

I have also ridden some mate's new fangled geo stuff and I think I will keep what I have got.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I looked at the new Sight but after riding the old one in Cairns there was no fucking way.
The bike I really wanted was a Revel but way too spendy for a casual rider like me.
my mate who is a hack rider loved his sight, best bike he’s had, now has a 29 santa cruz with coil.

revel too expensive? why drop 7k on the optic? buy their gx build kit for same money