2020 Norco Optic C1

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
They ride alloy rims because they are heavier?

More like easier to repair & less likely to explode.

Doubt they want a heavier wheelset.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep. When I last checked, no serious EWS racer was on carbon wheels for that very reason.
FYI*:
We (Ibis) have been secretly testing them under our EWS team this season and after three grueling rounds, they have yet to see a broken wheel. That's impressive, considering the wheels are often significantly lighter than competitors.
*Pretty sure they did swap to alloy for one or two of the rougher tracks though...

moorey

call me Mia
They ride alloy rims because they are heavier?

More like easier to repair & less likely to explode.

Doubt they want a heavier wheelset.
They can’t swap stickerer items...including wheels. Alloy can be usually beaten back into usable shape. Carbon can’t.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Pretty sure Pivot are on carbon Reynolds for their dh and ews teams.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
DH is different. Fuck either rims, and your run is over. Unless it’s the race run, swap and go. In EWS, if you kill carbon wheel, it’s game over.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
DH is different. Fuck either rims, and your run is over. Unless it’s the race run, swap and go. In EWS, if you kill carbon wheel, it’s game over.
There was a podcast where Eddie was talking about a set of Matt's wheels that did Whistler, Northstar and the worldchamps.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So while I'm waiting for my brake hoses to come I've got a few other things to work out.
XTR brakes also had the shifter mount integrated with them (really should have thought about that) but I've found some random Sram clamp in my spares box that I think will work. From what I can tell there are no shifter mounts available yet, here's what I've got.

I also think I'll take the Magic Mary off the front and save that for a tractor if I ever buy one, and put the Hans Dampf up front.
Suggestions for a rear that's light and fast rolling? I was thinking Michelin Force AM? Bearing in mind that I'm old, half blind and don't race downhill so I have no need for a Minion which is the default answer on this forum.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So while I'm waiting for my brake hoses to come I've got a few other things to work out.
XTR brakes also had the shifter mount integrated with them (really should have thought about that) but I've found some random Sram clamp in my spares box that I think will work. From what I can tell there are no shifter mounts available yet, here's what I've got.

I also think I'll take the Magic Mary off the front and save that for a tractor if I ever buy one, and put the Hans Dampf up front.
Suggestions for a rear that's light and fast rolling? I was thinking Michelin Force AM? Bearing in mind that I'm old, half blind and don't race downhill so I have no need for a Minion which is the default answer on this forum.
Minion SS

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The XTR shifter comes in 2 models, bar clamp and I spec, they don't have just 1 model with an adapter, seems crazy to me.
When I built my bike Shimano Aus had no barclamp models in stock but that was several weeks ago now.

I'm running a Magic Mary and Rock Razor for fun drifting trail riding. DH Assegai and Disector on a heavy duty wheelset for gravity, but for fun, especially summer riding, the Rock Razor or Minion SS are a bag of laughs and roll so fast!

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear

This is what you want https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/i-spec_ii_bar_clamp_-_j1297
www.scvimports.com.au are the Australian distributor, suggest contacting them.