2020 Norco Optic C1

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dropper will be just cable tension, I’ll wager.
Agree..

Komdotkom the xfusion is a great post. I have gone through a lot of droppers including a ks lev and this post is way more robust and reliable. I run it with a wolftooth remote and it has been flawless for 12 months +, haven’t done anything but spray it with inox..

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Agree..

Komdotkom the xfusion is a great post. I have gone through a lot of droppers including a ks lev and this post is way more robust and reliable. I run it with a wolftooth remote and it has been flawless for 12 months +, haven’t done anything but spray it with inox..
The Manic has been the best post I've owned (several command posts, fox transfer, pnw rainier). Even better when I matched it up to the Specialized lever.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Easiest way would be to almost fill an open tank with water and float a tinny in there. Mark the steady state level on the inside of the tank. Place the bike in the tinny and measure the height difference anfpd calculate the amount of water displaced. Allow for temperature and pressure. Dead easy. Or take it to chops, record the weight and add 1.975kg.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I was initially sceptical about the Pike Ultimate thinking that it was a thin veneer of silver paint and a thick coating of marketing bullshit, but it's a pretty nice fork.
I actually wonder how much of it is 'new fork' feels. I don't mean placebo. Genuinely the newness. It's like bicycle tyres. So many folks say oh this tyre is waaaayyy better than my last one, but the last one was probably shagged and you're not comparing new with new.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
^^^^ I am running a pretty shagged aggressor on my rear. Have a spanky new aggressor, ready to replace when required. I like the feel of my ride currently (with a near new dhf up front), and look forward to how it will feel with a bitey new back tyre.

Caveat this with the fact I am still a noob, with just under 9 months in the game, but still hitting whatever blue and black I can find.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it's a touch over 12kg with hope brakes and xtr pedals. I'm a bit sus on the digital scale from Deal Extreme that's been kicking around in my tool box for a while, I weighed my Carbine 275 and that was 10.8 and I'd put it at 11.5 ish so maybe a realistic weight is 12.5 ish
Just did 25km on it and after setting the sag to 20% it's pedalling a lot more efficiently and feeling much less like my Gary Fisher Roscoe from 2006. The tyres are so slow up Hills with incredible rolling resistance, but fuck me they are good on the way down; I could just tip it in to corners that previously would be a bit squirrelly on my Spider 29.
Xtr shifting finally lives up to the hype but I still have to sort out the missed shift issue.
Xfusion dropper already fucked stuck in the up position, I'll have to pull it out and see what the story is.
Minion SS, Wolf tooth dropper remote and better grips arrive tomorrow so with any luck that will sort the rolling resistance and fucked dropper.
@komdotkom How did you find the geo compared to the spider both climbing and decending? Night and day difference or subtle? I keep hearing all this stuff about having to get over and weigh the front tyre more etc on the nu skool bikes..

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@komdotkom How did you find the geo compared to the spider both climbing and decending? Night and day difference or subtle? I keep hearing all this stuff about having to get over and weigh the front tyre more etc on the nu skool bikes..
HTA difference is 68.5 vs 65 and STA is 71 vs 76.
The climbing position is much better, I was initially sceptical about the whole steep seat angle thing and was ready to believe it was just the latest round of MTB marketing bullshit but it really does feel pretty good. The head tube angle is strange because although the fork travel is the same on both this and my Spider the fork offset is 51mm vs 44mm so the projection of the axle in front of the headset is about the same even though the Optic is much slacker. It certainly descends better than my Spider but it's like the difference between a chainsaw and a chefs knife, it's not nimble or poppy but is certainly quicker. It doesn't accelerate or maintain speed and momentum like my Spider though and although this isn't a massive issue on flat-ish trails, you really know about it on pinch climbs or when doing long grinding climbs.

Lol at Yeti 575 at 12kg, must be an old picture I thought they had all cracked by now!

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Manic has been the best post I've owned (several command posts, fox transfer, pnw rainier). Even better when I matched it up to the Specialized lever.
Purple Wolf Tooth dropper remote arrived today from MTB Direct so I'll fit it up tonight. After running a Magura Vyron (wireless) for years I'm struggling to come to grips with having the dropper cable from a visual point of view but the Wolf Tooth is a nicely made bit of gear.
Now I just need to find a bike bag big enough to fit the bloody thing in for my trip to NZ

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It certainly descends better than my Spider but it's like the difference between a chainsaw and a chefs knife, it's not nimble or poppy but is certainly quicker. It doesn't accelerate or maintain speed and momentum like my Spider though and although this isn't a massive issue on flat-ish trails, you really know about it on pinch climbs or when doing long grinding climbs.
That’s a good way to put it, the spider is pretty nimble. I found this video re new vs old geo. He comes to the same conclusion as you.
Bit at 3.20 is interesting, whippy vs carve..