2020 Optic headset bearings

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm doing some work on a mates bike and it needs headset bearings. It's a 2020 Optic but I can't see a specific part number listed anywhere for it it. I assume it's just a generic bearing then?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The headset will have a brand on it somewhere (FSA maybe?) in which case you'll want to get the right bearing to suit the cups/crown race.
The tapers and sizes of bearings can vary from brand to brand and sometimes look close but be enough to give you a clunky headset.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm doing some work on a mates bike and it needs headset bearings. It's a 2020 Optic but I can't see a specific part number listed anywhere for it it. I assume it's just a generic bearing then?
Are there any markings on the bearing or seals?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The details should be etched/printed on the outer shell.
Generally this is how I would identify it but my friend isn't a maintenance guy and from why I can tell his bike washing technique goes like this.
1. Submerge entire bike in muddy water for 2hrs
2. Pressure wash with salt water
3. Don't clean the drive train just add more heavy grease, 500g should do it
4. Leave bike in the rain, do not drip dry

Subsequently the bearings are so corroded that any markings or etching cannot be read.
I'll take what's left of the bearings to a LBS and match it up.
Now onto the bottom bracket which sounds like a couple of bricks in a cement mixer

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Generally this is how I would identify it but my friend isn't a maintenance guy and from why I can tell his bike washing technique goes like this.
1. Submerge entire bike in muddy water for 2hrs
2. Pressure wash with salt water
3. Don't clean the drive train just add more heavy grease, 500g should do it
4. Leave bike in the rain, do not drip dry

Subsequently the bearings are so corroded that any markings or etching cannot be read.
I'll take what's left of the bearings to a LBS and match it up.
Now onto the bottom bracket which sounds like a couple of bricks in a cement mixer
New friend day.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, that was the first place I looked but I can't understand why they wouldn't include it. I'm assuming all late model Norco's run the same bearing.

New friend day.
If he wasn't such a good bloke I'd agree with you, bike vandal for sure.