2020 Trance Advanced 29er

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Yeah, last time I looked for tyres they only had some sort of 2.3" variant with a slightly different name. Tread pattern looked the same though.

What are Conti thinking? The 2.4" X-King has been my favourite front tyre since they came out.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The Acros rear hub seems like a good bit of gear. I've had trouble in the past with light weight hubs and their 15mm alu axles which just don't seem up to the task. These hubs have a great combination of a good sized rear axle (19mm) with large bearings and also a reliable ratched style engagement mechanism. All of this comes in a hub weighing only 234g. They are also pretty good value for money when on special (~AUD$300).

The hub is also bloody loud, so there is no need for a bell on the bike path.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I'll follow this with interest as a fellow weight weenie. I'm on 1400g DT 240/CX-Ray/Crests, but also have trouble with the rear rim only lasting about a year. I've been investigating Duke/Newman carbon wheel sets from r2-bike, but I don't want to spend a heap of money to find that 1200g wheels won't last so I've just been replacing the rear rim.

Interested why you didn't go for DT Swiss hubs?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Yeah. I've only been getting about a year out of the Crests on the rear too.

I do like the DT Swiss 240s rear hubs but I got the Acros hub on special for about half the price of the 240s.

I also checked out the Newmen hubs but they only come in 28h. I'm as big a weight weenie as the next guy but I do like 32 spokes. Also seems a bit counter productive pointless to go boost and then lose 4 spokes.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
So I managed to crack the rear carbon rim at Stromlo on the weekend and have switched back to my Crest MK3 rear wheel with non-boost Tune hub. To be perfectly honest, I probably can't tell the bloody difference. I think the Crest MK3 rear wheel gives a smoother ride which translates to more traction in pea gravel over hardpack. Certainly can't feel the difference in weight or boost/non-boost.

Here's a close-up of the rim failure. You can see that it hasn't been caused by a rock strike. The bead is un-marked, it's just experienced a bit too much force for the layup and the inside rim bed has detached from the outside layers.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So I managed to crack the rear carbon rim at Stromlo on the weekend and have switched back to my Crest MK3 rear wheel with non-boost Tune hub. To be perfectly honest, I probably can't tell the bloody difference. I think the Crest MK3 rear wheel gives a smoother ride which translates to more traction in pea gravel over hardpack. Certainly can't feel the difference in weight or boost/non-boost.

Here's a close-up of the rim failure. You can see that it hasn't been caused by a rock strike. The bead is un-marked, it's just experienced a bit too much force for the layup and the inside rim bed has detached from the outside layers.

Pic didn't upload ?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
So I managed to crack the rear carbon rim at Stromlo on the weekend and have switched back to my Crest MK3 rear wheel with non-boost Tune hub.
You have outlined a pretty solid case for my dilemma, I think I'll just get another Crest rim instead of going carbon...

Could you limp it back to the car park or did you have to call it a day?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You have outlined a pretty solid case for my dilemma, I think I'll just get another Crest rim instead of going carbon...

Could you limp it back to the car park or did you have to call it a day?
Yeah get Crests. They are bulletproof.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Could you limp it back to the car park or did you have to call it a day?
Funny story actually. My XTR RD had broken just after Double Dissolution so I had to remove my chain and freddy flintstone it back to the pavillion. I came to the top of the Luge and then descended chainless and broke the rim near the bottom.

As I knew the rim was cactus I rode on it down to the pavillion and put a tube in it. The buckle was huge but it just cleared the chain stays. Rode to a mates place near stromlo to see if I could borrow a rear derailleur to get me the 18km home. He wasn't home so I basically had to scooter it. Got about 6km from home when a mate picked me up.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Funny story actually. My XTR RD had broken just after Double Dissolution so I had to remove my chain and freddy flintstone it back to the pavillion. I came to the top of the Luge and then descended chainless and broke the rim near the bottom.

As I knew the rim was cactus I rode on it down to the pavillion and put a tube in it. The buckle was huge but it just cleared the chain stays. Rode to a mates place near stromlo to see if I could borrow a rear derailleur to get me the 18km home. He wasn't home so I basically had to scooter it. Got about 6km from home when a mate picked me up.
Should have shortened the chain and single speeded it, it's not that bad ;)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Should have shortened the chain and single speeded it, it's not that bad ;)
Normally a good option but the chain growth on the Trance makes this a bit of a non option. I did that once on my Anthem and by the time I got back home from Strommers I'd cracked my Tune freehub which proved to be another expensive exercise. Maybe if the shock had a very firm lockout with no blowoff then you could get away with it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Yeah get Crests. They are bulletproof.
It is annoying that the Crests on the rear only last about a year but until they crack up they are great and the cost of replacement is not so high that it makes me ride like a weenie to avoid trashing a rim.

I've always viewed rims as just another wear item. So cheap and cheerful for the win.

I'll be replacing the cracked carbon rim with a Crest and maybe the bracing angle of the boost hub might make it last a bit longer.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Normally a good option but the chain growth on the Trance makes this a bit of a non option. I did that once on my Anthem and by the time I got back home from Strommers I'd cracked my Tune freehub which proved to be another expensive exercise. Maybe if the shock had a very firm lockout with no blowoff then you could get away with it.
Ha ha I've gotten so used to riding a hardtail I didn't even think of the full squish (unless it's a Roval). I'll see myself out :D

PJO

in me vL comy
It is annoying that the Crests on the rear only last about a year but until they crack up they are great and the cost of replacement is not so high that it makes me ride like a weenie to avoid trashing a rim.
I've mostly seen Stan's rims cracking through the spoke holes, is it worth adding nipple washers to the next build?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You're right. Mine always crack at the spoke holes. I've not used washers before. I bought some years ago when I built my first set of podium MMX rims. I was going to use them if the podiums didn't last but they kept going for years.

I might give the washers a go when I replace the cracked carbon rim with a Crest this weekend.