2020 World Cup Discussion

moorey

call me Mia
I thought that they'd canned the u13 categories and weren't letting them race up in u15 this year. There was a bit of a stink from some of the parents of the young local pinners who had already booked accommodation.
There’s a separate u13 race now. Different track and no UCI jersey like previous years. Just bragging rights.
It’s still at Bright on same dates though. I was also initially pissed. Only entered myself to chaperone her down the horrific mystic DH track.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Looks likely that the first round is going to be cancelled according to pinkbike due to coronavirus....damn, was looking forward to the season getting underway

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'd rate a WC track as something I not be able to ride more than half of.
We have this strange thought process as Mountain Bikers when it comes tracks, we always think a course should be insanely hard core and only able to be ridden by the 1% of riders.

But racing isn't about rideability, it is about speed and who is fastest from top to bottom. Sure tracks need to be also towards the elite end, but not so much that half the field do not finish. Look at your typical wet weather race, sure the crashes are entertaining but it does nothing for the overall season.

Racing is so tight these days that the top 20 are seperated by mere seconds and that is what draws crowds and sponsors and at the end of the day the money. It's about selling bikes as well and the fact is that you can't drop $20k on a bike and it will get you down a WC course regardless of your skill level, unlike a $200k porsche which will win you the local club car race or hillclimb.

Sure we don't want to see WC racers punting down your local track but what do we want, DH races help on redbull rampage courses? That track looked like a typical current DH track and I guarantee many of us would struggle to get down it, let alone within 5 minutes of WC racers times. it had a good mix of flow, jumps and ungroomed rawness that come race day would have been epic as. Dont' forget to take into account the gopro affect.