2020 World Cup Discussion

moorey

call me Mia
You mean like the time Minnaar smokes the field multiple times with a magic gearbox bike?
It’s legal and he won. Don’t be salty.

you can’t compare riding in a downpour vs dry to Bruni and his electric bugaloo on the same track and conditions as Minnaar.
I wasn’t a great fan of the young Minnaar :p. Also, it was just a hidden derailleur apparently.
You didn’t really answer my Q about 07 Champery...which was about the best rider winning the race.

On the topic of rain, I feel for Daprera and Vergier. Overall was on the line, and track was definitely wetter for about 10 riders. They say that racing though. ;)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The man is cooler than a cucumber. I wish he’d retire and replace Claudio.....one day.
Some folks commenting on Traceys insta reckon she should get a run in the commentary box.

I tell you what was great was seeing her insta story feed and the vids she was being sent from riders. Also the girls giving her the champagne shower on the podium was a quality send off. Hoffman was truly gutted seeing her go off track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Some folks commenting on Traceys insta reckon she should get a run in the commentary box.

I tell you what was great was seeing her insta story feed and the vids she was being sent from riders. Also the girls giving her the champagne shower on the podium was a quality send off. Hoffman was truly gutted seeing her go off track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  1. Oh god no. I love Trace...but no.
  2. Hell yes.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I reckon we got a rad season of racing amidst the pandemic, hats off to the crew that got it happening. All the sport we’ve managed to get this year has been so darn good but downhill just keeps on giving. That race on Monday morning was a belter, that top five was totally amazing. Matt Walker series champ? Reece Wilson World Champ? Amazing, just bloody amazing.

As for the Bruni button, I don’t really care. You can buy Rockshox Judy’s with a lockout and we’d all use it given the chance. Remember the Canberra World Champs in ’09? So many people wrote that off as not a worthy downhill trail. Every bike ran a lockout fork for the pedal at the end, Specialized used a short travel Enduro bike, skinsuits everywhere and it all got pissed on when that man Steve Peat tramped their arses on a downhill bike. The whole podium was downhill bikes too. My point? It’s the rider on the day for sure. No question in my mind that the best guy who managed to keep that vessel afloat while riding beyond the edge is the winner. Not many other sports give you that fix, downhill is fucking sick.

moorey

call me Mia
I completely agree with you that Bruni is a wanker once the helmet is off but geez he's good to watch on a bike.
He’s not my favorite to watch riding, regardless of my feelings about him as a person. I also don’t find Troy great to watch. Peirron, Remi, Laurie, Danny, Connor, Jack, Finn.....All a lot more fun to watch riding....but I can’t take anything away from Loic’s riding. It’s separate to my dislike of him as a person ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think it's a bit different now to the sport years ago in its infancy, you've only got seconds between race leaders even 1/4 of a second in some instances, where years ago you might have seen a lead of 13 seconds between the race leader. It doesn't bother me about the lockouts as it's open for any team to use but it's just like most other sports these days as some teams throw all the money they have at R&D for that leading edge. The days of Kovarik and Rennie sleeping on people's floors while on tour are long done for.

Looks like Loic gets a lot of research and development done on his suspension.

moorey

call me Mia

Also as stated previously, you can’t compare E-bruni and Minnaar to Sam riding in a monsoon vs matti in hero dirt. It was 13 years ago. By round 2 next year you would’ve forgotten about minaars run.

you just don’t like the French m8.
Still dodging the ACTUAL question I see....

I like every other DH Frenchy that I can think of...on and off the bike.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
there should have been a different frenchy on the top step of the podium, but seems it wasnt meant to be his weekend

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah. Ohlins really know their stuff. They can draw on alot of expertise from their involvement in motor sport at the highest levels which RS and Fox won't have.
(To a lesser extent) Fox, surely? They’ve been doing high end off-road racing suspension for years.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's no way Bruni's suspension won him that race purely because he flicked a lockout of sorts. Any fork and shock bolted to any of those bikes is only as capable as the thing hanging onto the handlebars. Some suggesting (not just here, elsewhere) that Bruni won 'cause of Ohlins? Fuck off, he'd be capable of winning on 1998 Bomber 55's.
That suspension must be good but not the edge that makes him win. It was his first win this year.