2020 World Cup Discussion

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
There's no way Bruni's suspension won him that race purely because he flicked a lockout of sorts. Any fork and shock bolted to any of those bikes is only as capable as the thing hanging onto the handlebars. Some suggesting (not just here, elsewhere) that Bruni won 'cause of Ohlins? Fuck off, he'd be capable of winning on 1998 Bomber 55's.
That suspension must be good but not the edge that makes him win. It was his first win this year.
Greg lost because of the head hit, it was so tight that’s all it would have taken to be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's no way Bruni's suspension won him that race purely because he flicked a lockout of sorts. Any fork and shock bolted to any of those bikes is only as capable as the thing hanging onto the handlebars. Some suggesting (not just here, elsewhere) that Bruni won 'cause of Ohlins? Fuck off, he'd be capable of winning on 1998 Bomber 55's.
That suspension must be good but not the edge that makes him win. It was his first win this year.
You can set the shock a lot more plush in the open mode with a lockout, it's chalk and cheese, a good pedal platform is the total opposite to what you want for descending in the rough stuff. If it didn't make a difference he wouldn't use it and wouldn't be trying to hide it. You can win a race just in the pedal section, there're only seconds and milliseconds between the top riders, even if he can reserve energy in the pedal section it's a big advantage for him and it's smart racing that's all it is.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So all the other riding he did to get the bike down to the sprint section isn't important.

He had a compression adjustment available and he used it. That's what won it for him.

Yeah.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
So all the other riding he did to get the bike down to the sprint section isn't important.

He had a compression adjustment available and he used it. That's what won it for him.

Yeah.....
I said it gave him an advantage over the other riders, this is top level riding not backyard hacks. If you can prove it didn't go ahead.

moorey

call me Mia

Yeah.....
Did you look at the sprint section in R3? Well down before sprint, picked up a couple of seconds in the sprint (seen flicking the switch) and was up, lost it after that. It's not a scientific statement, but anecdotally shows its benefit. Does it make him the smarter rider? Quite probably. Does it make him the better rider? I could argue the negative.
He won. I get it. More power to him.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Lockouts have been around forever. I dont know what everyone is losing their minds about. Even some of the articles "what was bruni doing?!? Omg!! " i didnt think it was any secret.
How long till will we see a live valve setup working off gps and self adjusting?

moorey

call me Mia
Lockouts have been around forever. I dont know what everyone is losing their minds about. Even some of the articles "what was bruni doing?!? Omg!! " i didnt think it was any secret.
How long till will we see a live valve setup working off gps and self adjusting?
Haven't seen anyone losing their minds.....guess I'm not following closely enough...and no, wasn't a secret AFAIK. If it was meant to be, it might have been hidden on his bars, like the other mystery lever. My personal stance was never about it being illegal or unethical, as I keep saying, only that I think it made enough difference to give him that narrowest of wins. Lets call it an observation rather than a judgement.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My personal stance was never about it being illegal or unethical, as I keep saying, only that I think it made enough difference to give him that narrowest or wins.
Right, so smart bike setup and fastest rider on the day. Sounds like you've got a Specialized / Bruni boner going. Plus IIRC, Felix nearly had a collaboration with Specialized through the LBS but the bikes weren't available. And Trump could yet win the US election. Is a Specialized Demo 29er DH bike on the cards? Oh, a Bruni World Cup replica build! Is that why there's all the frustration coming out about "the lockout"? It's that you can't (as a member of the public) reverse the fork leg inserts and buy whatever's in the magic box on the Ohlins shock to complete the replica? You've changed man!

moorey

call me Mia
Right, so smart bike setup and fastest rider on the day. Sounds like you've got a Specialized / Bruni boner going. Plus IIRC, Felix nearly had a collaboration with Specialized through the LBS but the bikes weren't available. And Trump could yet win the US election. Is a Specialized Demo 29er DH bike on the cards? Oh, a Bruni World Cup replica build! Is that why there's all the frustration coming out about "the lockout"? It's that you can't (as a member of the public) reverse the fork leg inserts and buy whatever's in the magic box on the Ohlins shock to complete the replica? You've changed man!
There's a lot to break down there :p.
Smart bike sure, fastest time sure.
Spesh only do 29 enduro. Felix didn't want a 29" but if that was the only option available for a bike, it was in his court, despite my ambivalence about spesh. Bullet dodged, he adores the Revel.
Trump can't win the election, I'm safe there.

Ohlins be damned, I bought up on RS oil weights.

I don't even run lockouts on my trail bike.....because when i have, i forgot to unlock, and had an awful ride.

I change daily, thanks for noticing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't really follow anyone in DH, all the top riders are superb, I'm sure Bruni works hard to place where he does and they all have injuries they need to work around. Just having a general conversation but when racing gets to this level it's how much money the team has that tends to be the différance between wins and top places in the field, even Bruni says he's "super lucky" to have support like this.

I think @moorey is on the ball with this one.

What Was Loic Bruni Adjusting on His Fork in Lousa?

"Shortly after the hype dies down in the finish area of a World Cup, the photographers typically grab the winning bike to snap a few quick shots to file later in the evening. In Lousa, that wasn't possible. Amid all the excitement of Loic Bruni's win, his bike had been quietly ushered away and put back in its pits, away from curious eyes."

It's a bit inconspicuous when you have a cover over the rear shock, aye ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What if.............its all just a play to get us talking. It is the oldest trick in the Marketing book after all.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't really follow anyone in DH, all the top riders are superb, I'm sure Bruni works hard to place where he does and they all have injuries they need to work around. Just having a general conversation but when racing gets to this level it's how much money the team has that tends to be the différance between wins and top places in the field, even Bruni says he's "super lucky" to have support like this.

I think @moorey is on the ball with this one.

What Was Loic Bruni Adjusting on His Fork in Lousa?

"Shortly after the hype dies down in the finish area of a World Cup, the photographers typically grab the winning bike to snap a few quick shots to file later in the evening. In Lousa, that wasn't possible. Amid all the excitement of Loic Bruni's win, his bike had been quietly ushered away and put back in its pits, away from curious eyes."

View attachment 369007
It's a bit inconspicuous when you have a cover over the rear shock, aye ?

View attachment 369005
This is the baffling one....on his bars, wire goes to the mystery box, but it wasn't what he reached for both times on the flat section.