XC 2022 S-Works Epic Evo

Jimmy83

Squid
Just got my custom medium EE built up - took 5 months to get all of the parts I wanted and jagged 1 of only 2 black medium frames that came into the country in January after doing a ring around to all of the major shops in September last year. Due to the shortage of parts I purchased the forks, handlebar, headset, stem & wheels from the U.S, the brakes from Germany and the dropper post from the U.K. Total weight as pictured which includes bottle cages, pedals, power meter crank, Garmin mount and sealant came in at 10.45kg/23.04lb. This comes in 100 grams lighter than my 2014 S-Works Epic WC which I'm happy about and this new beast is far more capable! I refuse to skimp on brakes and have always been a Shimano fan, the 4 pots in 180/180 with metal pads are brilliant. 2.4 inch tyres with larger volume ID rims make a huge difference too as I can now run 20.5r/18.5f PSI which simply wasn't possible on the older model (I weigh 80kg). I managed to scoop a set of Centerlock Control SLs from Worldwide Cyclery as Specialized don't sell them in here in Oz - this enabled me to run the newer XTR Centerlock rotors and dang they look better than the 6 bolt version (and yes I know they weigh more...). Got matching matte chrome decals for the forks and wheels from Slik Graphics and they fit perfectly. Went with the 35mm stem/bar option and love the stiffness, I note others aren't a fan for XC bikes but I like the direct feedback. I installed a CK Dropset 5 and it fit without a problem. Black ti bolts throughout. Grips are the new ESI Extra Chunky Ribbed version. Due to the Shimano/SRAM combo I had to buy a SRAM XD driver body and upgraded to the 54t ratchet kit. Finished off with a Transfer SL post with 100mm drop, S-Works Power saddle, RF Next SL 35mm bar, Enve M7 65mm stem and Ceramic Speed BB.

I've put 300km on the bike so far and very happy with how it performs - of note the slacker head angle (I've got the flip chip set in the high position which is way slacker then the old bike anyway) and longer wheelbase make for a better ride. And happy to be riding an Epic without the brain!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Awesome looking bike. While most XC bikes these days have the fork/shock lockout, is this something you considered? Having never ridden one of these, wasn't the brain an automatic suspension lockout?.......but was/could be problematic?
My dually has the lockouts, really only use it on bitumen or smooth dirt roads/climbs. After a few hours of riding and fatigue sets in you I sort tend to forget about it.

Jimmy83

Squid
Awesome looking bike. While most XC bikes these days have the fork/shock lockout, is this something you considered? Having never ridden one of these, wasn't the brain an automatic suspension lockout?.......but was/could be problematic?
My dually has the lockouts, really only use it on bitumen or smooth dirt roads/climbs. After a few hours of riding and fatigue sets in you I sort tend to forget about it.
True, most if not all XC bikes have some form of lockout. I was a fan of the brain but in the 8 years of having my 2014 Epic WC with 95/95 I felt it was time for a more capable suspension setup. The Brain was good but having to send it away to get serviced was a bit of a pain. Plus after 8 years reliability issues were starting to creep in. Although I’m not running remote lockout levers, both the fork and shock do have the ability to fully lockout with the flick of a lever on each unit. I only use it on roads and paths. After doing it a few times the muscle memory kicked in and I’m a fan of the clean cockpit. I’m running 1x token in the fork which so far makes it feel like the travel is bottomless. The rear shock comes tuned from the factory with anti-squat and I’ve found it to be true so far. Overall the bike feels faster.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Like that stand too. Sweet looking rig.
After coming back to MTB dually (Banshee Prime) from SS rigid i really need to look at a ~10 kg build i reckon.