203mm rotor frustrations.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This may well end up in another thread however I'm having some difficulties fitting a 203mm rotor to my fork without the brakes binding chronically.

Fork: Rockshox Lyrik 29" RCT3
Rotor: Shimano 203mm XT deore
Brake: Shimano XT M8000
Adaptor: Shimano F 203mm P/PM

I'm coming off a 180mm rotor and adaptor and it fits no problem, two washers and it's golden. I fit this one and even after 4 washers it's still rubbing on the caliper body.

With no washers it just won't even fit, unlike the 180mm set up on my Remedy.

The adaptor is oriented correctly: with the up sign facing up, and the concave piece matched to the caliper body.

Any clues or suggestions. I'm feeling incredibly dense on this as it seems to get the caliper away from the rotor enough to not bind / hit it, there's precious little of the caliper bolts in the fork to hold it steady.

Thanks!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you 100% sure it’s a +23mm adaptor and not a +20mm adaptor?

Same issue has stumped me for longer than it should have and probably ought to have prompted a post in the Confessions thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
If you require an adapter to fit a 180mm rotor to the fork, then you should not keep shimming out to fit the 203mm. Instead, get an adapter like this and you're golden. The 203 adapter you have is for forks that fit 180mm rotors sans adapter.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This looks like the winner. As stated, I'm running an adaptor on the Lyrik to run 180mm, and the 203mm one looks the same in terms of shape. I'll look the one you've mentioned out.

Photos are coming out terribly given the poor lighting, sorry!

Thanks!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@The Reverend - I might have a 160/203PM Adapter like above in the spares, I'll have a look tonight for you if you want?

Can't believe brands are still speccing "Enduro" forks as 160PM! Both of my most recent forks (X-Fusions and now a CC Helm) are both 180PM.
Thanks, that'd be great. Let me know what you're after for it. :^)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@The Reverend - I might have a 160/203PM Adapter like above in the spares, I'll have a look tonight for you if you want?

Can't believe brands are still speccing "Enduro" forks as 160PM! Both of my most recent forks (X-Fusions and now a CC Helm) are both 180PM.
And yes I agree about the spec on forks. Definitely considering CC or DVO on the next build for reasons like this.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hey Mate, yep, did have a spare one in the shed, and given that I don't have a bike that will use it any more (haha, I suppose I could put a 203mm on the rigid carbon MTB commuter!!) it's yours.

PM me your address and I'll pop it in a post bag tomorrow. Unless you're on the north side of Syd and want to pick it up :)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Mate, yep, did have a spare one in the shed, and given that I don't have a bike that will use it any more (haha, I suppose I could put a 203mm on the rigid carbon MTB commuter!!) it's yours.

PM me your address and I'll pop it in a post bag tomorrow. Unless you're on the north side of Syd and want to pick it up :)
You sir are a gentleman! Thanks so much and I'll PM you. There must be something I can offer up in return?